Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rock & Roll Radio History: THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED, Feb. 3, 1959...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

TO MY FRIENDS AT THE H.A.M.B....

ONE OF THE MOST TRAGIC EVENTS in the History of Rock & Roll happened on that fateful day. Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and, J.P. Richardson ("The Big Bopper"), were killed in a plane crash...trying to get from one Concert to the next.​

Teenagers and young adults mourned the trio, and radio stations played their songs...knowing that the History of Rock & Roll Radio would never be the same.​

Well, number of years ago I acquired an Historic News Bulletin of that event from February 3, 1959, and I've pulled it out of my Archives to share with all of you. I've also added some music from Buddy Holly & Richie Valens so that you could once again hear their voices connected to this Historic Broadcast.

It's not very long...but it is very important and I wanted to share it with you. It's something I'll never forget. Just CLICK-ON-THIS-LINK to listen. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage149.html

BTW: What are YOUR Memories of that time period when you heard the news...if you're old enough to have been there with some of us ? Let us know !

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I love Buddy Holly, I never get tired of listening to his music.

Deuces, Bowtie Coupe and jimmy six like this.
  3. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Rave On, LSGUN

4. I was there that night! Had a 45 record with all their signatures 'till some asshole stole it. Ritchie Valens was there with his mom. Ritchie was short and kinda fat with a face full of zits just like the rest of us. The surf Ballroom is still there and every year they have a big show to commemorate that night. My wife was there also, but we hadn't met yet.

5. Yeah...its "Rainin in My Heart"

BH was a genius - R&Rs biggest loss imo.

RIP

Rat

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  6. sololobo

sololobo

I had been to the Surf Ballroom a lot, not there the night of the fateful flight however. Some friends of Mine The Scott Keaton Band of Oklahoma City, have played the reunion a couple of years. I am sure most of us remember that Waylon Jennings gave up his seat for the Big Bopper on the plane. Waylon was in Buddy's band The Crickets at the time. R.I.P. great rockers! ~sololobo~

7. Jimv

Jimv

I agree!Go check out "Dions" facebook page!Hes got some interesting reading about that nite, he was in the show & actually the only"survivor".
    I can't believe BH did so much in such little time.
    I also think that "Big Bopper & RV" would not have even been talked about now! They would have been 1 or 2 hit wonders.
    But don't hate me for that statement!!lol
    Jimv

8. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I was a punk kid, riding my Schwinn bike,delivering newspapers when I heard the bad news.
    I had several of Buddy's 45s, and in most cases I liked his "b" sides as much as the "a" sides. He was great! His music will not fade away.

Attached Files:

9. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

Jimv, think you're probably right about JP Richardson, "Chantilly Lace" a "novelty" Hit, who knows about a follow up, but disagree about Ritchie Valens, already had 3-4 that had charted, and had some chops! Any way, a loss of tremendous proportion for the R&R genre - per John Milner, "music hasn't been the same since Buddy Holly died!"

10. Deuces

Deuces

I hadn't been a twinkle in my daddy's eye yet when this happened. But I do remember when American Pie first came out... It was played alot on AM radio. And yes! I do love all their songs..

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  11. big bad john

big bad john

....Remember that day....I was only twelve, Buddy Holly was my favorite singer then.......still play his music.....

12. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Wasn't even a thought yet when this happened but I love Buddy Holly's music and agree with Big John37. Milner nailed it with that statement.

13. chubbie

chubbie

Surf Ballroom.. great place to vist when your in Iowa! I've been to the winter dance party a few times. I've talked to Peggy Sue, and there are a lot of celebs. there incognito , including Paul McCartney! the place is restored to the way it was in '59. the boothes are about 1/2 size!:eek:

14. krayola

krayola

It is tragic because it changed the face of music and allow the British Invasion.

I read a short story of alternative ficiton years back about the crash never happened and Buddy Holly goes changing the band to be called the Crickets and makes a huge success in the UK which is the reverse of what the Beatles did here the Beatles never come into existence since John becomes disheartened after the first drummer dies and sees no reason to carry on trying to beat the Big Electric American Sound.

Would have been cool if that had happened.

15. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Look at the vanilla music from 1960-63 ...Pat Boone, Fabian, Bobby Darin, etc.
    Rock & Roll almost died that night. It took a long time to recover.
    I was just home from school when I first heard the radio announced the crash.
    Sad day indeed.

16. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Thanks, Johnny, that is a great presentation.

Ironically, I found out exactly as Don Mc Lean sings in American Pie: It was the headline on every newspaper I delivered the next afternoon. It was bitterly cold as I was in Northeastern Montana in much the same weather conditions as Northern Iowa.

To put it into perspective for a younger generation, Buddy Holly was about as big then as Metallica is now.

17. Jimv

Jimv

There was nothing wrong with the "British invasion"!! its what the times called for, everything changes.I think the "changing time was because of JFK's assasination & Viet Nam!
    There deaths didn't "kill" music, it just changed it alittle.
    Jimv

18. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Have any of you read the book "The Last Rock N Roll Show" By Danny White...its great for Car nuts and music fanatics.

19. This is a very sad day. Buddy Holly was always my favorite since middle school. Probably the three best artists ever. Everytime one of my buddies plays some rap song I just say "February 3rd, 1959"!

20. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

Great tribute thread, I wasn't born at the time but my old man has told me stories about that day. I grew up listing to my dads records of the three fellows. Rock-n-Roll owes them a lot.

Sam

21. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks very much for posting this. Makes me sad every year at this time. I don't expect this to last much longer (cause it aint "on topic") but still, thanks very much !

Just for the record, this is really how that night went.

Heater in the bus broke down - people were getting sick - one band member got frost bite on one of his feet.

Buddy chartered a plane so they could get to the next location - to eat, get rest, and also do laundry . The two guys he initially had scheduled to fly with him were Tommy Alsup and Waylon Jennings. The Big Bopper wasn't feelin well so he asked Waylon if he could have his seat. Waylon said "If its ok with Buddy its ok with me".
    Ritchie Valens was sick and asked Tommy Alsup if there was any chance that he could have Tommy's seat. Tommy said "I'll flip ya for it".
    Afterwards Buddy approached Waylon and said "So, you're not gonna fly with me tonight"?
    Waylon said "No". Buddy responded with "Well then, i hope your ol bus breaks down". Waylon jokingly responded "Oh yeah, well i hope your plane crashes". The rest is history

22. Ironically the storm that killed them was almost identical to the storm socking in Eastern Sd and NW Iowa today. Cyclical, it is all cyclical.

23. Rest in Peace,Rock & Roll will never die.

24. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

Great music came from Buddy and Ritchie, and correct me if im wrong, but they were both car guys right!?!?

25. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

I remember it well for two reasons. First: I was at the local drug store in '59 when the news came through...couldn't and still don't believe it...was very surreal... people were crying. Second: Twenty seven years later, I lost my Dad....I was crying

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  26. ragtop50

ragtop50
    from UK

Gone but never forgotten RIP Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, and, J.P. Richardson .

Bowtie Coupe likes this.

27. AND Roger Peterson the pilot who left behind a widow that night, his HS sweetheart.

28. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Ritchie was an honorary member of the Drifters car club - San Fernando. At the funeral the members said a poem they had wrote down on paper.

Bowtie Coupe and Donald A. Smith like this.
  29. bear39

bear39

Have talked to Peggy Sue and Donna about that night. Sad day:(

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  30. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I was a soph @ Fairfield, Iowa high school. Heard the news over KIOA late the next day. Was hard to get KIOA in the daytime. Have been to thre Surf lots of time but couldn't get there in the winter from se Iowa in feb. Rock on.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.