Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Ranchero Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny C., Feb 2, 2011.

1. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Okay here is my 1957 Ranchero build. This is my first 50's style mild custom build and by far the most metal work I have ever done on a car. It is pretty minor to most of you on here but big for me. Alright here is the plan:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
    -Mild Custom (shaved (not sure about the door handles yet) and lowered)<O:p></O:p>
    -390 with a 4-speed<O:p></O:p>
    -9" rear<O:p></O:p>
    -White Walls with Olds Caps<O:p></O:p>
    -Mercury front and rear bumpers<O:p></O:p>
    -Very simple and clean<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>
    I look forward to everyones input and suggestions. Like I say this is my first build of this kind so here it goes......<O:p></O:p>

Here is what I started with after I cleaned about a foot of dirt out of the back and inside, painted the engine bay, and put my wheels and tires on it.
    [​IMG]

2. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

3. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

The engine all cleaned up before I found out it was completely locked up. Glad I got it for free and didn't have it in the car when I found that out. It was suppose to be a running motor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

5. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Good job, I always liked those really nice lines......keep the pics coming

6. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

7. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

very cool project...I know where one of these is sitting in a field with an Edsel nose on it...

8. Gonna be a cool ride for sure, Please do me a huge favor get some rollers for it. I would kill for those tires!!!!!

9. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

10. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Thanks, I appreciate it. More to come.

Cool cars for sure.

Got it covered in the this last batch of pictures. Didn't want to ruin my good wheels and tires so I finally found some rollers.

11. oldschool55

oldschool55

I like it, my first car was a '57 Ranchero, but it was only 9 years old at that time

12. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

[​IMG]
    Lowered the front with Aerostar coil springs. Dropped it about 3.5 inches.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got the motor rebuild and installed. Should run really good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Why did you ditch the side trim? Just curious

14. Awwww, way too much work to build it.....I'll come take it off your hands to save you:rolleyes:....haha

Seriously, looks like you are doing this Ranchero justice....I've had some in the past(and will in the future)....really good to see you breathing new life into it.....Keep it up, and thanks for the follow along build!!!

15. Wow, that's a lot of metal work. You are doing a nice job so far, my '57 need's some of the same wheel well and rocker work.

Who's patch panels are you using?

16. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got the back dropped down to match the front.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That pretty well gets the project caught up to this point. I will be posting more pics as soon as I get a chance.

17. smarg

smarg

I know your gonna jump on me for saying this, but I think you'll regret shaving the side chrome.

We have a '58 ranchero in the shop that we shaved the side chrome on really takes away from the car. We wish we didn't do it.

I know it has a "Kustom" element to it, but I like the side chrome.

Either way this truck looks freakin' awesome!

18. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

I was going to put it back on but I just decide to go without it for a different look. You don't see to many of them without the side trim. Just being different I guess.

I'll keep that in mind if I decide it is to overwhelming at some point.:D Thanks for the compliment. I got this one from a salvage yard, couldn't let it get crushed.

I appreciate it. I have been using Dearborn patch panels. Not sure if the panels are theirs or if they get them from somewhere. I have liked everything I have ordered from them so far.

19. Vee 888

Vee 888
    from texas

Great stuff, I'm working on a custom 300. You have just given me more energy to complete it.

20. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

I understand what you are saying completely. I am still not sure about it. I have 57 chrome to go on it if I decide to go with it. I also have a some 56 Buick side chrome that I thought about using. Still up in the air but it is going to be clean at this point.

21. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Glad I could inspire you. I'll look forward to seeing pics of you 300.

22. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

So is it a 58 with a 57 front clip or a 57 with 58 side trim.

23. tinmann

tinmann

'57 Rancheros are drop dead gorgeous cars..... er trucks. I've never had one, but I'm so tempted..... (will a 6'1" fat boy 270 lbs fit in one?). I know where a '57 Meteor Ranchero (Canadian model, 1 of 800 or so ever made) is rusting in peace. Your metal work looks top notch. Keep posting updates as you can.

24. RAY With

RAY With

I had a new one in 57 with std. shift and 312 4bb set up. Was a fast ride at the time and really enjoyed it while i had it. When your done your going to like the FE set up and it should give you all you can handle with the stock suspension. Good luck and so far a great job.

25. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

At first I was told it was a 57 with 58 trim but after running the number and the title it is a 58 with a 57 front clip. I am completely changing it over to a 57.

26. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Thanks. Love the Rancheros. I was never a fan of them when I was young but now I love em.

The FE should be more than enough and maybe to much. Can you have to much though?;)

27. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Sweet ride :)
    Please consider upgrading the brakes. Single reservoir MC's scare the hell outa me... Bad personal expirence many years ago :eek:

28. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

I have been thinking about upgrading the front brakes. I hate to go with discs though. Any suggestions???

29. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

What have you got against discs?

Seriously tho, a 2 pot MC, booster, and proportioning valve from any late 60's to 70's full size wouldn't be too difficult to adapt... Good time to bend up new lines while your at it.

30. suede57ford

suede57ford

Granada or Lincoln Versiles spindles are nearly a bolt on and easy to get replacement parts for. I have a connection for complete kits at a good price with all new stuff if you want pm me.

I grew up in Fremont, NE, and my dad always had '57-58 Fords when we lived there.

Glad to see a Ranchero going together. The FE was a good choice.

Are you going to put 57 trim on it when you finish it?