Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Dirt Track Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ford6man27, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ford6man27

ford6man27

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pictures were taken at my shop. The cars that are on trailers I have restored and we race with Ozark Vintage Stock Car Racing association. The others are next in line after the one that is in the shop now. The one in the shop is a 1934 chevy sedan with a 250 chevy 6 cyl.
    We are always looking for more old dirt cars from the 50's and 60's. If you have any of this type of old race cars, restored or not,please post pics.
    Andy

selectedgrub and tylercrawford like this.
  2. toml24

toml24

WOW!!!! This must be jalopy heaven. Looks like a main event is about to start with the California Jalopy Association. Any CA. cars in the group? What a collection!!!!

3. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Here's one I've seen for sale...has a running flathead.

Attached Files:

4. Oppy

Oppy

Heres a couple, the T is partner in crimes car, and the 41 sedan I built a couple years ago. Love to race on a dirt track. The T runs a Y - block 312, pretty hot one, and my sedan has 283, pretty stok.

Attached Files:

5. rustdodger

rustdodger

too cool! thanks for posting. I think my avatar tells you where I stack up on liking this stuff.

6. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

Hello Andy! Spoke with you several years ago at the advise of Perry Kratchmer......

Just purchased this last Saturday.

[​IMG]

7. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

Another angle of the '36

[​IMG]

8. Great stuff, guys. Love the old dirt cars. Hope more folks post up additional pics.

9. KIRK

KIRK

It just doesn't get any better then that. Those cars a part of American history. It's great that you are restoring them.

10. Trophydash

Trophydash
    from Tulsa, OK

Hard to tell, but this was a dirt track car, yellow at the last painting with a number. It set beside an oil field road even before I had a drivers licence.
    It was gone the last time I did a recon to the area.

[​IMG]

11. mow too much

mow too much

I'm glad someone is giving these cars a better life Ford 6 man.

12. ford6man27

ford6man27

[​IMG]

You can't buy parts to restore these old jalopy type cars. This is a photo of a set of headers and 3 carb intake I was building for a flathead ford 6 cylinder.
    Andy

13. Dans28Tdr

Dans28Tdr

There are a lot of Hambers that have vintage dirt cars. Here is mine. It was owned and raced by my father in the 60's. I am an active member of a new vintage oval racing club in Texas called Vintage Texas Open Wheel (http://www.texasopenwheel.com) with dates to both show and drive these great old cars. This part of the hobby is growing fast. It's fun to look at the engineering that went into these individual creations. This is what racing was all about.

Dan

Attached Files:

• 98TX.jpg
      98TX.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
  14. heres a few pics from the one i have

Attached Files:

15. I Drag

I Drag

16. edweird

edweird

maybe a little ot, but heres one me and my brother hauled out of the woods.

Attached Files:

• RIM.jpg
      RIM.jpg
      File size:
      301.4 KB
      Views:
    • JIM.jpg
      JIM.jpg
      File size:
      336.9 KB
      Views:
    • REAREND.jpg
      REAREND.jpg
      File size:
      328.3 KB
      Views:
  17. Here is my 32 that was on the scrap heap and was saved...I am saving the restoration on this one for the winter I don't have any money! Great thread, I will have to look you guys up when I get mine going!

[​IMG]

18. ford6man27

ford6man27

Tom 24
    The CJA at Orange Show Stadium was where I first got involved in racing. The rusty 34 ford sedan with the rounded front bumper is an old Calif. car. Last year was 50 years racing for me and still at it.

I drag,
    I lurk on the other thread and enjoy it a lot. That thread is mostly from a later time. Most of the cars are overhead valve big blocks with much later technology. The cars we race are from the 50's and early 60's. Our rules are flathead V8's and 6 cylinder engines,leaf springs ect. I guess you would say the first dirt track modifieds. They are from an earlier era but I like them all...

Don Moyer,
    Neat old jalopy. just the kind we like. I see the chevy truck steering box and that looks like an early flathead trans. Hope you can get it going soon.

Andy

19. jmh

jmh

Great pics and cool old racers!! John

20. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

would someone email me at [email protected] so i can email you pics of Gordon Wooley to post here. Work firewalls won't let me get things out from here, thanks

21. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Here's my dad and I's '34 driven by Ron Tilley
    1957 & 1958 Track Champion at Silver Spring Speedway in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Also all time single season most feature wins at the track with 11...

Zach
    [​IMG]

Hank37 likes this.
  22. mow too much

mow too much

23. toml24

toml24

If the '34 is is So-Cal car I might have photos of it from back in the day. I wonder about the top roll over bar, welded from left to right behind the driver (?) instead of from front to back. I'm not sure the CJA or the CCRA would allow that.

24. ford6man27

ford6man27

Tom
    The roll bar you are looking at is on the coupe. The sedan next to it with the round front bumper is the calif. car. The 2 biggest signatures of a so cal car is the bumper and the steering. I raced in a lot of states back then and so cal was the only place I saw cars built exactly this way.If this Tom is Thomas L. look at page 213 of your book,bottom of the page. This car has the same steering. I have your book and love it. I remember a lot of those guys. Art Atkinson, George Durade, Preacher Rogers and many more. Those were the best days of dirt racing.
    Andy

25. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

The great Gordon Wooley driving zero, a cut down that he won the local track championship in in '49 i believe. It was restored as originally run in 2010 by a local lover of flatheads and racing. Gordon wore his old driving suit as well as
    having the original trophy for that seasons championship

Attached Files:

26. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

another shot of the same event with the original trophy

Attached Files:

27. toml24

toml24

I'm that Thomas L. (so much for Witness Protection Program, LOL). Thanks for having the book. I can't tell what to look for on page #213 but at the bottom of page #214 is a front nerf bar on car #44 that does look similar to your car. Did you know there was a very good jalopy racer from the 1950s named Andy Anderson with the CJA? What history do you know of with your California car?

28. Dans28Tdr

Dans28Tdr

Fleetbob50
    The Vintage Texas Open Wheel club will be at Heart O' Texas speedway in Waco showing our cars and getting some track time on Memorial Day weekend (Sunday afternoon). Stop by. We will be part of their Wall of Fame induction.

Dan

29. CARMENDER

CARMENDER

This is a Tobis kit car that I have that was ran at Selinsgrove/Williamsgrove from 65 to 69. It was built and ran by Wayne Hommel . At first he ran a Edsel engine then switched to a 427 side oilier crate engine . They ran a carburetor so they could get the $100.00 extra for the top finishing carb car. The car is unrestored and still had the Williamsgrove clay clay on it from 1969 when I got it. It is for sale if whoever buys it promises not "restore" it and let's it the way it is. The engine no longer with it.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      471.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      475.3 KB
      Views:
  30. ClayPigeonKiller

ClayPigeonKiller

Well, mine has been on here enough that most people are probably tired of looking at it...

1929 Chevy sedan, 300 Ford inline six, Old Frankland QC

Definately need to put nerf bars on it before we start racing again.

[​IMG]

Great to see you on the H.A.M.B. Andy!

Can't wait to go racing with you and Aaron this summer. I'll prod dad to post his '33 on here.

Adam