Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moefuzz

moefuzz

A "deuce Coupe" is Not a 62 chubby and never was!

It's just another example of the competition stealing ideas, terms and hotrod history away from the Ford Camp.

2. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

2 door coupe... if it's a coupe it's a 2 door, it's not a 4 door coupe, or a station wagon coupe, or a truck coupe, or a freaking bus... Calling all old cars roadsters, or a car with roll up side windows and solid windshield posts a roadster, sorry that is a cabriolet. Or calling every 20's-30's car with a deuce rad shell a 32 Ford, or a Deuce... and then telling me I am wrong when I correct you... okay, you're 29 A is a Deuce... idiot.

Calling something a hot rod because you put $10 chrome valve covers on it, and a crappy aftermarket air cleaner...

I hate it when an add has "LOOK" or worse "L@@K" in the title, as soon as I see that, I ignore the ad because it seems to be the universal sign of a bad seller or a fraudster.

3. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Street racer, street machine, street rod, pro-street, I wonder if the aircraft guys call their modified planes "air machines"?

4. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Yeah, it can travel on a smooth surface... so can my washing machine!

5. 59f100

59f100
    from USA

6. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

What are you selling? :D

7. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

SinTicket and I were talking about a similar subject the other night over a beer.
    We both have old trucks that have seen a life.... But I think he would agree that if one more person refers to them as a "rat" truck.... its not going to be pretty!

8. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

It's funny most of you guys ,like me sat in in the back of English class, day dreaming of cars not grammar. I wouldn't look half as intelligent with out spell check. Ha Ha

9. SLIMLEG40

SLIMLEG40
    from ENID OKLA

Back in day cams didn't come with all the grinds you see today.
    Parts stores sold full race or 3/4 race

10. oj

oj

Fuel injection....when it is really gas injected or alcohol injected

11. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Racing parts that do nothing to help with performance, I saw a racing battery cover made of faux carbon-fiber at Princess a while back... I thought "This is just what I need to make my bus faster!"

Performance ___________ (insert part name here)

12. SLIMLEG40

SLIMLEG40
    from ENID OKLA

To me survivor is a hot rod built around 60s or 50s, still has straight
    axle, 57 chevy rear end. Could have sbc, auto ,little or no body mods.
    No mustang ii or independent susp. In short early builds.

13. Some minor and a few major irritations:

Saying your 289 has a 3/4 cam.
    (Maybe your old flathead did, but not your 289)

Calling the 289 HiPo motor a "HiPro"

Saying your stock or slightly modified mustang used to actually pull the front wheels off the ground.

Saying your unibody car has had a 'frame off' restoration.

Calling a distributor a 'ditzy' (seen this on other forums)

People talking about wind-chill temperatures as the actual temperature. My stupid sister does this. Says its gonna be 25 below zero tomorrow. I checked the weather forecast for her area and its supposed to be a low of 7 with wind chills in the -15 to -20 range.

'Serious inquiries only' ..... sorry, but if I can't bring a sense of humor then I'm not interested.

Saying Elderbrock when the name is clearly spelled on the part as E-D-E-L-brock.

Its not Protonics or Protronics, its PERtronix

Calling a convertible top a 'rag top', unless you really made it out of old rags.

14. Gas(oline), alcohol, Diesel, CNG, wood, coal, etc. are all fuels. Fuel injection is correct.

Cummings Diesel!!!! Go out and look at your truck and read the emblem on the door. Do you see a "G"? Idiots.

15. Special Ed

Special Ed

Misspelling of the word "woodie" is getting tiresome. Even guys that own them can't seem to spell it correctly....

16. tadaio

tadaio

I'm showing my age here, and only the old farts'll get it, but my favorite was always "lubed for life" bearings, U joints, tie rod ends, etc.
    "Lubed for life" didn't mean your life, or the car's life, or the part's life. It just meant you couldn't grease it, then you could go buy another.
    Lucky for us we can now buy the 'shame' stuff from China and take advantage of their advanced metallurgy and superior lubricants.

17. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I don't think you should be selling (or owning a car for that matter) if you can't even spell the name of the model correctly.

Camero, Camoro, etc.

18. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

...Mastang, people far to busy to spell the whole model name, Vette (Cor or Che?) EXP instead of Explorer (there already is an EXP and it's no truck) or when instead of year make and model they just give you some random model number sourced from who knows where... "I have a G37A-B" Okay, WTF is that then? People claiming those converted S-10's with the fiberglass "pregnant" bodies are real 39 Studebakers...

19. froghawk

froghawk

"Two-door post." Proper term is two-door SEDAN! Unless it's a Coupe, in which case "two-door" would be redundant.

20. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

My favorites are ads with spelling errors. A common one is:

"Crager" wheels or center caps for sale...

And the name Cragar is stamped on the center cap right in front of your face and you can't spell it correctly... really???

21. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Anyone who pronounces it Gart-lits!

22. gasser300

gasser300
    from Ft Worth

Mine has only been called a RR once. I told him RRs dont have $350 shifters.

23. espo35

espo35
    BANNED
    from california

It's gotta be "rust in the usual places"......

24. 91Bear

91Bear
    from Boerne, TX

"Totally restored" when it has a different engine, performance parts, added gauges, different interior and non-stock paint.

"Totally restored" means it looks like it did on the showroom floor. Anything else is customized.

25. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

An engine or motor is a machine designed to convert energy into useful mechanical motion.<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-1 class=reference>[2]</SUP>
    Motors converting heat energy into motion are usually referred to as engines,<SUP id=cite_ref-2 class=reference>[3]</SUP> which come in many types. A common type is a heat engine such as an internal combustion engine which typically burns a fuel with air and uses the hot gases for generating power. External combustion engines such as steam engines use heat to generate motion via a separate working fluid.
    Another common type of motor is the electric motor. This takes electrical energy and generates mechanical motion via varying electromagnetic fields.
    Other motors including pneumatic motors that are driven by compressed air, and motors can be driven by elastic energy, such as springs. Some motors are driven by non combustive chemical reactions.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The term valid argument to describe a pedantic rant.

27. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

When I see an ad that says the car is "hard to find", I think "Oh, is it hidden somewhere?"

28. I´ve seen a couple of people on here recently actually write - in a normal sentence, not an advert - "needs restored" or "needs chopped"! Were they off school the day English was taught, or what?

29. rustdodger

rustdodger

I'm with you on that one. And when did any two door become a "sports coupe" ?

30. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

"Regular box" on a truck... what is regular? There are long and short on most makes and models, I know there are some mostly newer ones that have another length thrown in, whatever length is regular is a regional thing, some places short boxes are more common then long, some places it's the other way around.

And for some reason practically every single car I go look at has a supposedly rebuilt engine, the body is shot, the interior is bad and it smokes like George Burns while the tranny is sloppy... but the motor and tranny are rebuilt... 3 out of several hundred that I have bought were actually rebuilt, and on all 3 of those I was shocked!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.