Register now to get rid of these ads!

GNRS-why do they insist a photo with every entry?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hell yes Ryan, That cabriolet was so amazing!

2. big creep

big creep

yea fridays good for no crowd! but you miss out on all the drive-in cars that show up!

3. I think that's called "warp 9 static":D

4. Yessir. And there's MORE and more of those every year. A great idea. A show within a show. NOW, find room for a swap meet, and you have Heaven on Earth;)

5. At one point we just stopped while walking through the Customs room, and said man they are playing some cool tunes in here!

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

7. Great show! The PA was too loud (like every show you go to these days) and it was crowded but if you got there early and stayed late it thinned out quite a bit. You guys are spoiled, just try finding anything remotely this neat anywhere else this time of year. I met guys that traveled from half way around the globe to be here!

8. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I had to stand 50 feet away, outside the building as the band played. I would have rather stood by my car, which unfortunately was right next to the stage.

And for some reason no picture of my car was in the program.

Attached Files:

9. Racewriter

Racewriter

Hey - I'm in friggin' Kansas City. It's freezing rain outside, and the World of Wheels is still 2 weeks away. Made my only trip (so far) to the GNRS last year, and I can definitely say that if you'll piss and moan about the GNRS, you're a chronically unhappy person. No, I didn't spend too much time in the Suede Palace last year, but I was in there enough to see a few cars that were awesome. Lowriders? JFC, man, Cali lowriders kill! Not like the ones back here where they put some candy paint over shitty bodywork and call it good.

In short - if you don't like the GNRS, pay my way and I'll gladly trade spots with you. Crowds and all. One of my new goals is to just make enough money so that I can go every year.

10. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

OK, I'll where earplugs in the future.

11. Nothing. to each their own. I personally aren't very interested in them.

12. What mood? It's 2011. Are we pretending it's some bygone era?
    It's a cliche'! EVERY car show does it. Fine, just don't make it headache-can't converse LOUD!

13. big creep

big creep

shit like i need more to look at!!! im feet hurt from fridays walk! but i was over it by saturday night! could you imagine? aw man i would never go home!

14. LanceM

LanceM
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went on Sunday, and this was my first GNRS ever. I was stoked to meet a guy named Jess with a root beer brown Shoebox all done up. I was stoked to see the car, and he was a really cool guy to talk to. Funny thing is, I would not usually just slide up to someone like that, but I had all kinds of questions about his smokin' ride, which he was more than willing to answer. I thought that the show was awesome personally, and the crowd was light, compared to events I attend every year like the SEMA Show. I shot a couple of hundred photos and couldn't wait to post them to my Facebook so the buddies I have back East could get a sample of the show.

I'll definitely be back!
    -As a spectator for awhile and then with my own ride in a few years!

15. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

I just googled the fairgrounds. That parking lot is ginormous! Are you guys saying the show filled up all that parking?

16. axle

axle
    from Drag City

You EVER try listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan at soft volume ?

17. Well, if it had been the late Stevie Ray Vaughn and we were at a concert, it would be fine! :D

18. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

dude it was just too loud, I guess you had to be there.

19. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

brother he was there..he is the organizer of the suede palace:confused:

20. ^^That's knee slappin priceless! How long you been here?

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

But it wasn't Stevie Ray now was it. ;)

I really enjoyed the band that was between the NHRA museum and building #4. Was surprised to find them tucked away back there. Sure missed having a band in the center of things where they now put that carousel. In any event Axle, thanks for all your hard work. It was an awesome weekend filled with great friends and cool cars.

22. choptvan

choptvan

Really? Yet most every car was built just like you are describing the music. Not sating it is a bad thing. Just pointing out the irony

23. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Yeah I guess your right....Your to old and crabby! But dont let it get ya down, that electric wheel chair ya got there made up for all the long days walking.

Buzz Bomb

24. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Damn Groucho! you are getting old, I allways call you an old f*%ker. But come on...your starting to sound like one.

25. Haha, I was joking. I guess it's hard to relay that in print. Honestly, with all the people...ALL the buildings were fairly noisy. I really don't remember the palace being any louder. I did leave that one with more blood from my ears though

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's ordered, there are only so many words that a guy can use that don't have a freaking M in them. I'm on the work computer now, so I won't give you eye strain for a few minutes anyhow.

Ditto on being an old fart that can't deal with the loud assed music at car shows. Most of those musicians think that the cars are just a side show to their performance though and don't seem to understand that we would rather just hear them as background to what we have going on.

27. buzz bomb

buzz bomb

Likewise, I was messing with you as well Groucho...I got nothin but love for ya baby!

Buzz Bomb

28. Ya it was loud and in your face at times, but Fri and even Sat nite after 7 it really thinned out . .I could get all the pics I wanted unobstructed. Theres nothing else out there like it!!

29. Muttley

Muttley

I really dont get why there has to be a huge PA system and music (of whatever genre) at every car show. I go to shows to see cool stuff and talk to people about cars. Its ridiculous to have to scream at someone who is two feet away from you.......turn the music down, or even better turn it off.

30. skywolf

skywolf

Come down and spend some time at car shows in Australia and I guarantee you will never complain about the GNRS again. :)