Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cam recommendation for a stock SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AAFD, Feb 1, 2011.

1. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

I've got a 305 ('77 Model) with a 2-jet, headers, and unilite with a TH400 and 2.94 gears. Any recommendations on a good upgrade cam that will work well with the 2bbl for daily driving? I don't mind just replacing the stock cam & lifters, but figure while I'm in there I might as well give it a little more 'go' without sacrificing any driveability.

There's too many options out there, so just wondering what others have had luck with.

Thanks.

2. Swifster

Swifster

No offense, but putting any money towards a 305 is tossing good money after bad...

3. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

A stock cam will probably give you the best economy. A .390/.410 (towing cam) might give a very little power boost. With your rear gear, nothing will help much. Cam changes alone don't help much. A cam is part of an overall package. The factory optimized the stock cam for economy.

4. just for fun

just for fun

May I recommend getting on the phone and calling any one of the cam manufactures. Asking the enternet family will only lead to wasted money and disapointment.

5. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Swifter, I know that, believe me. I don't want to invest any money into this motor, but it's my only vehicle and I need to get it back on the road. I plan to swap in a different engine in the future, but since I'm in this situation, I might as well give it an upgrade for a few bucks more.

handyandy, yeah I know what you're saying. I'm not looking for big power, obviously since I'm keeping the 2bbl and gears. I know it's not the best combination out there, but it's what I've got. Just looking to get the optimum cam.

Just for fun, I intend to do that as well, but being evening time here, most places are already closed. Just looking to get some referrals from personal experiences, not a biased recommendation from an employee at a cam manufacturer.

I plan to replace the engine/trans/gears sometime this year when I gather all the parts and have time to take the truck off the road. It will be an LS 5.3 with a 6spd and 3.73's. But for now, I just need to replace the cam & lifters and want to get the most for my money.

6. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

I think you answered your own question. This is a temporary fix, so hold the cost and put in the cheapest cam from your friendly parts house and save the extra money for the final build. good luck

7. Dyce

Dyce

I recomend leaving it alone and saving your $$$ for the extended plan. If not you'll get more out of the engine by swapping heads with the cam. Get a set of 601 casting heads, and go with a mild rv cam for the 350. The 601 has the 1.87 intake valves and a 58cc cumbustion chamber to bump the compression. The 2brl heads would have 1.72 valves and bigger chambers.

305 engines can run good if done right. The long stroke helps it out. It's just tougher to get them to breath with the small bore and narrow combustion chambers.

8. BigChief

BigChief

9. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

I need to replace the lifters, got a few bad ones. The cam is most likely fine, but I'd like to replace it along with the lifters for peace of mind and figure I might as well get a better cam if I can. It's not really about adding performance.

10. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

Cam and lifters should be replaced together. Otherwise, you will probably wipe out one or more lobes.

11. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Yep, I don't ever replace just lifters, thats why I'm asking about the cam. ;)

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Since you have to do it, but don't plan to kep it, I'd go with the store brand cam and lifters from Summit. Keep the lift and duration way down, and don't go too far on separation either.
    Here's one that will work with your setup, and not break the bank. ($100):
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1101/

13. Dyce

Dyce

Carefull, some of those 305 blocks were bad for having the lifter bores out of alignment.

14. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

15. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I have no clue if this cam would be a good size for your engine.

I just like that it's only $35 from northern auto, and maybe someone else could use it.

and here's a set of lifters for $32, so $67 total plus shipping! I'm a cheap ass, I know.

Melling SB Chevy Torque Cam

[​IMG]

Price:$35.87

[​IMG]

Melling SB Chevy Torque Cam Lift .420/.443 Duration @ .050" 204¯/214¯
    Make:

Chevrolet

16. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Hey, $35 aint bad! If I can't decide on a performance type cam, I'll most likely just run a cheap stocker like the Melling/TRW and be into a cam/lifter/timing/gasket swap for around $100.

Thanks for the input fellas.

17. Man... It gets tiring listening to people bash 305's. They're great trouble free little motors and will move a light car or driver plenty good.

Run a mild RV cam and let it rip.

18. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I just noticed the specs on the edelbrock cam and the one I posted look basically identical except it's about half the price.

I'm swapping the intake/carb/heads on my engine. I think it has a small cam in it. I'll check and if it's a stock cam, and i'm feeling ambitious, I'll swap one of the cheapie ones in.

For $70, how far wrong can I go?!?

edit: if anybody cares the above cam using the comp cams camquest program calls it a good torque, good mileage, good rv and towing cam. The graph shows torque to peak at 3500 rpm and HP at 4500.

FWIW with 8.5:1 305 sbc it says 240hp@4500 and 325#@3500 rpm with 600 cfm dual plane

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  19. I've bench flowed a couple sets of stock 305 heads. With no port work anything over .400" lift will actually HURT performance.

20. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

The TRW cam is pretty much a stock replacement cam like the Summit 1101. The Summit 1102 cam is identical to the Edelbrock 210 but much cheaper. It works REALLY well in a stock 305 with tall gears. I have seen it used it several times in 305's and it really wakes them up. It has a slight lope when cold but smooths out once the engine is warm.

My friend took a boneyard 305 2 bbl. and threw an 1102 cam in it with a cast iron intake and Q-Jet and dropped it in a '63 bel Air with a 200-4R and 3.08 gears. It hauled 4 adults with no problem and got 20 MPG.

We put the Mellings version of the same cam in a stock '79 Malibu with a 305 4Bbl.; TH350 and 2.73 posi and it would easily light the tires for half a block.

21. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

I went ahead and ordered the Summit 1102 cam & lifter set, double roller timing chain, break in oil, and cam change gasket set. Hoping to get around to installing it next week. I'm contemplating pulling the stock cast aluminum intake and holley 600 off my other car and putting it on the truck, since the other car is a long way from being on the road. But, I may wait until after I break in the cam so I don't have to tune the new carb during break in. Thanks for the advice folks.

22. budd

budd

i second that 305's can be made to run dam good, for my money i would skip the cam and go with a q-jet and intake, it will get better mileage and pull harder when you want it to.

23. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

budd, i'm not adding the cam solely for power increase, but due to the fact that I've got a collapsed lifter and am forced to replace the cam along with the lifters. I was just trying to see what others recommended as I'm not really a chevy guy. I figure while I'm replacing, I might as well upgrade it without hurting any reliability. I got the cam in the mail the other day and will be installing it in the next week or so, when I get some spare time.

24. Lucky3

Lucky3

X2....not to p on your parade but those motors are not worth spending any
    money on.

25. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

300 hp/ 327 worked well in a 307, should do great in a 305, over the counter cam & lifters (66 chevy IIRC).

26. DrJ

DrJ