Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Your general impression of the HAMB. Share your good experiences.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pensive Scribe, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I've been here since 05. You can tell by my post count I don't post much, but I check in every day. I'm 63 years old, don't have a lot of freinds, been a gear head all my life, don't have a hot rod right now, but I do ride a badass hardtail chopper. I met Breeder on the HAMB went to his first show The Rust Revival four years ago and have been best freinds with him ever since. Thru him I've met all the Kropdusters (I'm one now)and all the Vagabonds who I also call freinds. I've also met some of the Rock Stars on this board, Denise, Megan, (love ya' both) drank beer with Plowboy (Atomic Punk fame) Odlbobsign, Bob (the traveling gnome) and too many more to remember. All in all this is a great site. Thanks to Ryan from the bottom of my heart. Party on!

2. my experience with the hamb has been excellent. i seem to lurk and read a lot of the posts but have also chimed in with answers and suggestions at times. i sold my 30 coupe thru the classifieds and because i didn't know how to get pictures posted, "tripleduece" did it for me. lots of helping people on board

3. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

if it wasnt for Bruce Lancaster and others I would look more and more like my avatar everyday!

Attached Files:

4. perk30

perk30

The HAMB has been a great source of inspiration for me when working on my first steel bodied hot rod. I have tried and accomplished things Like welding in body panels etc that I would never have tried without the advice and guidance of some of the very talented and experienced members of this site. Although I try to offer assistance when I can, my talents are no where near a lot of the members here and this forum is the first place I go for an answer to a problem I can't figuire out. Hot Rods are never "done" and I appreciate all the help I have had in the past and I'm sure will have in the future. Thanks.

Perk30

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I got a full-time job because of the HAMB...no, not actually a physical gotta-be-there 9-5 job...but because of two HAMBers, Jim A and later, KIRK!!! Jones, Esq., I write a monthly column for GoodGuy's called "Bangin the Gears."

Way back in 2004, I started a thread, called it "The Friday Nite Read" and put up a story about my youthful car related experiences, once a week. Did that for 13 weeks and got many, many responses...Jim A contacted me and asked if I like to write a monthly column...I was blown away.

As a result of that, I assembled all the stories, added a few more and got my first book published...I've become a "minor celebrity" at rod runs. Since then, I've had three more books published and continue to write for GoodGuy's...I've been writing for them for seven years now...

My sincere thanx to all HAMBers for being my friends...

Self plug here: you can order any or all of my books at my website below.

R-

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've been overwhelmed by the coolness and generosity of Hambers near and far. Flatdog (RIP) torched a bolt out of my cylinder head when I was in real trouble, Denise let me and my friends crash at her house for the Autorama, the list just goes on and on. I hope I have the chance to repay them all somehow.

It's true that Hambers are cooler in person than they are on the internet, too. I met a guy I had a beef with on the HAMB at Denise's party, wound up squashing it and having a great time. Too many good people here to name them all, too many random acts of awesomeness to mention

7. nukeGM

nukeGM

I don get it
    Knowing Bruce helps keep your ass from looking Fat?
    Fatter than a 29 stud Flathead V8??

8. ironpile

ironpile

I`ve met several nice guys,a few in person,all of which are people one would pick for a friend if they were closer.Also have bought and sold a few items and every deal went down smoothly. I think I have helped a few with my knowledge and insight. It`s nice to be part of this group.

9. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

No your not. LOL!!!

Has been an amazing place to meet people- even Sam ;)

10. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Hey Roger- I'm still waiting to get "discovered" here- LOL!

That's definitely been one of the many highlights!

11. cornbinder52

cornbinder52
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

great place to keep your mouth shut and listen. lots of information in this group of hot rodders. glad i stumbled here a few years back.

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

That reminds me of a thread where everyone was asking Ryan for HAMB logo'd stuff, and of course were asking for stupid stuff, so I added my two cents in asking for HAMB logo'd dildos. Of course it got deleted but not before a nameless HAMB guy saw it and a couple of weeks later sent me a very cool glass one with not only the HAMB logo on it but neat pinstriping as well. Needless to say I laughed my ass off when I opened the package. It's displayed in my house but most don't even notice it.:D

Not too many have seen me with a towel wrapped around my wet head AND have been able to convince me to take a photo like that. (If you post that photo again NO MORE COOKIES FOR YOU!)

Same here sweetie!:cool:

Something I didn't realize was going down.....there could have been a rumble at the mingle huh??:D

13. I've met a bus load of super great folks by way of the HAMB, but what i will never forget is the generosity of everyone involved in getting Spoony's '49 not only back on the road but well improved to boot.

Every part and penny, and all labor were donated by this board to help a complete stranger.

Viva!

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have had a few pretty obscure questions answered on here(Ted Baker Model A article for example) Learned a few things about setting up early ford front ends, got some info on skinny M/T drag radials for my off-topic car, had a pm sent to me with a photo of a couple of manly men on a scooter, made a total fool of myself this morning...Yea,I'm having fun...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  15. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

"You people" are alright!

16. 26 roadster

26 roadster

over all I love this place! I get irritated over some of the "what if" questions and the ones where the guy should get a friend that knows "something".
    "If I go .030 do I need new pistons?"
    But it all adds to the family I guess. I have had the most fun in the groups, some of them that are active.
    The HAMBERS I have met personally are all great, knowledgeable and helpful.

17. 76cam

76cam

I got turned on to this site last year at the round up.And man has it changed the way i look at cars now.The custom stuff is really bad ass and I wouldnt have noticed it before I started reading the stuff on this site.And Ive met some really cool and neat people on here as well.

18. I agree whole heartedly if you say you are adicted to old cars pre '73 you are adicted to old cars pre '73. I'll whup any one of these fellars that say its not true. Well if they are a long ways off I might just call them a bad name.

I've been here awhile, bumped heads with a few folks that are worth bumping heads with. With few exceptions I have become very good friends with most of them. Had meals and face to face with a few.

You have got to respect someone with whom you can disagree and they still keep their head on straight.

I'm not one of them but there are some pretty good folks on the HAMB.

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

This is a really great forum.
    I have not posted much until about a year ago, but found the technical info to be instant, accurate, and very polite.
    The few I have met in person are very fine folks (ladies and gentleman)
    Always are the smart ass folks, but for the size of this forum, they are really minimal, and if you have even medium skin, they are basically a comedy act at best........
    I really like it here, and gain more knowledge every time I spend time reading here.
    Thanks to all who have really helped me with my current project......you know who you are!!

20. I've sold some stuff, bought some stuff, gave some stuff away for free and got some stuff for free. I've learned a few things and I hope i have shared some knowledge but I have also met some cool people that I prolly wouldn't have ever crossed paths with unless this site was here. ;)

Thank you H.A.M.B. :D

21. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

What do you mean "you people"? :D

22. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

I've learned a lot from reading posts on here.

23. The only thing about the HAMB that I regret, is not checking it out years ago when I first learned of it.

Doug.

24. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Pay attention newbie and maybe you will realize there is no such thing as a 29 stud flathead...
    and keep the comments about my ass to yourself.

25. beauishere

beauishere

It's getting a little mushy in here.

The tech threads and the obscure questions are always interesting and helpful, but what I loved about the HAMB in the beginning was the way the long timers would eat you alive if you showed up with any bullshit (or no intro). They were merciless and the arguments that ensued were epic. You could call somebody out and if the thread would last it could get hilareous. What a bunch of characters.

It's way more polite now. Comes with age I guess.

General impression? This forum is a lot like a friendly pub or a neighbor's garage. Comfortable.

Aloha

26. Only wish I would have joined in years ago. So many cool threads not enough time.

27. The H.A.M.B. saved my life.

Before you think that as a joke, let me expound...

Right before I found this place (heard about it while attending the first CHEATERS show) I went through a ton of bad things in my life... all in brief succession. Primarily, a really bad break-up but a good number of other things with nearly the same crushing consequences. Subsequently, I was alone here in the middle of nowhere with nothing but dark, negative, thoughts and a computer. According to my profile address, I was the 909th member here. Going on the H.A.M.B. everyday... connecting, chatting, cracking wise and sharing life's experiences with 908 other like-minded people of the Hot Rod persuasion kept me from slipping over the edge. With all honesty, those people and this Hokey Ass Message Board... SAVED MY LIFE.
    No matter what ever comes about on here, good experiences or bad, and no matter what I do to try to give back, I will always have that debt to repay.
    I may not post much anymore, but I'll always be here.

Having said that, I can't believe the irony in finding this thread today... as I was JUST telling someone about what things have defined me, and how I've become the person I see myself as.

So... there ya go.

JOE:cool:

28. And ya brought me Venison steaks!:cool:

29. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

There are way too many good experiences to list! I don't even know where to begin. This place is great. I am very thankful for it, my project would have drowned me out already, had it not been for the infinite knowledge that is the HAMB.

30. Killer

Killer

I miss the smilie version.