Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who won the GNRS??????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Congrats..looks like alot of great metalwork

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Looks like a appropriate winner to me (could use some headlights) could have been built from a real ford.
    I haven’t really cared for the one off bodied cars that have been winning it.

3. Clark

Clark

Are the headlights in the hoodsides. Haven't seen a good pic of that area but looks like something is going on there.

The new judging threw me for a loop. I figured the race was between the Take out T and the Double Dozen roadster. I thought the T has the wow factor and the SAR car had the built from scratch factor going. I liked both of those cars (like to see different wheels on the SAR car) and thought either could win. Not seeing any of them in person makes it real hard to know why what car won.

Now I saw pics of the winner early on and thaught it looked nice ....But never would have guessed it as the winner. Just didn't think there was enough bling. That and unpolished wheels. I love unpollished wheels but it's not a show car thing....it's a hot rod thing.

It's good they changed the judging. Maybe the heavy hitters knew this and are taking their over the top cars to Detroit for the Riddler. I guess we'll see at the end of the month.
    Clark

4. DrJ

DrJ

Some car with a REAL body on it and DOESN'T have 22" bling wheels and rubber band tires on it wins for the first time in a decade or more and you guys still bitch?
    Cut both your legs off and you'd still kick!
    Shut the fuck UP!

5. It's an angry night on The Hamb.

6. Well said John, .........well said !!!

firstnomad

7. Johnny Hambone

Johnny Hambone

Congrats to the winner, beautiful car wish I could have seen it in person!

JP

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

Don't think thats quite right...umm seems to me the AMBR is open to any style of roadster..from the lastest trend laden billet bling bling streetrod aaaallll the way back to the beginning . Theres nothin surer than that this years winner is beautifully crafted and I've only ever heard great things about the builders.. BUT theres nothing that makes the car eye poppingly beautiful IMO.Thing is --beauty is purely subjective so the judges (and I've done my share)gota concentrate on technical excellence. Both the Takeout T and Double dozen roadsters are stunning to me and coulda won but (and yes I wasn't there its true) poss weren't techically as good.
    Maybe the judges with all due respect went with the safe option?
    As for moaning? I for one am not complaining...just partaking in an adult discussion of opinions and ideas ...which is what this place is for isn't it??
    I think theres a real strong chance of an extremely well built traditional styled car to win the AMBR (and its been done before- more than once!!)
    but I ain't gona hold my breath waitin for one to win the Riddler...cos the Riddler is sposed to be for originality and innovation...and thats not traditional.
    said my piece.

9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

My thoughts exactly.

The type of cars that win the Ridler or the AMBR appealed to me way way back when I was just a young 'un in high school.. Almost 6 years ago. :D

Thankfully, my tastes have changed after becoming a devoted studier of the HAMB, I realize exactly what I like and exactly what I hate. Years ago, I would pick up a magazine just because a yellow '55 on the cover had big wheels and a LS motor. Today, I look at those magazines and wonder "what the heck was I thinking.. What the heck is the builder thinking??" nowadays, when I read a magazine (the tasteful ones), I always think in my head what seems wrong to me on the cars featured. I analyze what would improve it, what is detracting from it, all from a perfectionist sense of perspective.

In simpler words, I grew up and my tastes changed. The people who win the AMBR/Ridler awards' tastes just haven't changed like mine have. Who am I to say their cars suck? I think their cars are pretty dumb, yes, but that's just my opinion which is of no importance. I'm just a kid still building my first car. They spent their time (or more fitting; their checkbooks) to produce their award-winning cars. They can enjoy their 15 minutes in the spotlight, polishing the trophy all they want. I would rather spend my 15 minutes working on or driving my car.

I would have figured the HAMB nation would cherish the TJJ pick more than the AMBR or the Ridler. I know I do. Sure the AMBR/Ridler awards have history behind the awards and is becoming corrupt but the TJJ is making history right now. And as long as everyone on here sees to it, the TJJ Pick will always have a rich history well into the future.

I'm more excited that the Takeout T won the TJJ Pick than I am that a cookie-cutter won the AMBR.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You guys are funny.

11. So was there another HAMB award brought in? Curious.
    Like may others have said, I like this years winner better than a few in the past. I have also wondered if the Ala Kart was scoffed like last year's car. Does anybody have a memory of that?
    Congrats to Squeegs! Many people have tried to build a car to win a place on this one trophy, few succeed.

12. fleet-master

fleet-master

:D:D:D:D comes natural

13. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

We try.

14. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

Yep, very well said! (and Hi-larious!).
    The AMBR winner was not my taste but they never are, its not that kind of a show.There were a lot of awesome autos there this year and their owners all put plenty of time and $$$ into them,I am sure they love them in a "special way".
    The real winner is John Buck of Rodshows,he put on a huge show it went well , the owners and the public were entertained and he just might have made a dime or two!

15. You're funny too with your black cars & chicken dinners....

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

that was my 2nd favorite of the contenders. the first being the Take Out T.. the car was incredible... Glad to see they have changed up the criteria and its now not just about just points. I was surprised to see they chose a car that did not have mirrors under it and more displayed/ open to see (you could barely see the engine and nothing else open. It is still a car show and with that I think come some basic criteria (being able to see under the car and able to see inside the car on one side at least at this level it should be).... no way to know what was under it or what the motor compartment looked like... not saying full on pull all wheels and open everything up but there are lots of displays where the car can show the stance and still see under it.

The double Dozen I think would have won under the old rules but it looked like most of the winners from the past few years so I am glad it did not. But now the flood gates are open for tons of cars to make a run at it next year. Maybe that is what they want. a room full of roadsters and the ability to pick the one that is the most beautiful without worrying about whats under it..

I have tons of pictures of each car I am uploading to my site (it will take all week since i took over 2000 pictures this year.. and Kustombuick probably about the same.. so check out our sites later in the week.

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

Was it?

Seems to me we already decided that the judging ( and most of the competitors )for the AMBR are not relevant to our way of thinking, and thats why we have our own award.

But despite that, for some reason, we need to have multiple Treads about this going at the same time( more than 10 on the first 2 pages, the last time I counted )

Big surprise, somebody on this Traditional Hot Rod Site might say something unfriendly about one of those cars...

Seems to me all this outrage is a lot of wasted effort....

But on a positive note...

I opened this Thread to see what ugly eyesore with perfect fit & finish won this year ( morbid curiosity...), and I was pleasantly surprised.

This years winner looks like a nice car...

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

So DOES this car have any headlights or not? Are they hidden somewhere in the leading edge of the hood/fenders? Did anyone that was there notice?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  19. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

Wow, miss the point much? I said it was a nice auto, Nobody here has to like everything or only talk about TJJ winner (which was awesome).
    What was most well said apparently was that the stress level needs to be reduced by whatever means please you.
    Geeez if there are 10 threads on a subject it must be popular and people have something to say about it.
    I attend and work this show (for 6 years now) there is too much to see in person let alone add to only one thread!

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

My point is...

We are all getting very worked up about cars that, for the most part, have limited relevance to this place to begin with.

21. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Nailed it!

Thanks, I'm going to take a breathe and self medicate.

22. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

For the record...

www.mypartner.com is a datig site for gay people.

This has been a public service announcement.

23. hotrodjim

hotrodjim

The judging was changed this year, and while a lot of it is still private we can look at what isnt. For the first time the cars were lined up and then driven onto a stage area where the judges sat and the owner parked and got out of the car. The judges could see how the car sat on the road and how all of the body lines flowed with the doors shut, deck down and hood down. They could see if the driver had room to drive or was he sitting on a box. They had about 15 minutes to go over the car and then the car was released to be set up to be then judged again in the ways we are all used to. The judges were a very different mix this year than we are all used to, and I think it worked well
    Still at the end of the day, they are competing for the most BEAUTIFUL roadster and if 30 guys are reading this post there are 30 opinions to what is beautiful. I had my favorite of the top ten in contention and I also had my favorite of the show. I am just glad I am not a judge.
    Personally I think John Buck has changed the way these types of shows are judged for the better

24. fleet-master

fleet-master

...of course the AMBR is for OUR kinda roadsters...5 outta 12 of em were entirely relevant here..shheeeesshh mite be just me but this years winners sure looks like this 'un...

Attached Files:

25. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

It looks like a nice car, but I spent a lot of time in that building and dont even remember seeing it.

26. Muttley

Muttley

I wasnt offended by your reply to my post, I just think that car is lame and cant in any way see how anyone could vote it as AMBR.

27. Is that funny "ha-ha-ha" or funny "village people"???

28. Just jacked off...with my left hand...while typing with my right hand. That car is awsome and I agree with everyones opinion. Must have worked, I don't give a shit about who won or the 6th grade girl ranting...;)

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

fleet-master: I thought the same thing. This years winner looks really nice. Is it a refurbished past winner?

30. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I guess the headlights are in the hoodsides ???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.