Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Your general impression of the HAMB. Share your good experiences.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pensive Scribe, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I just want to say that in the short time I've been here, I've had a blast and met some great people, even though we are miles away, and can't be face to face.

Yes there are the usual winers and generally over bearing individuals, but I've been involved with enough threads already to observe, that no matter who you may have disagreed with eventually a subject will come along that you can agree on.

Let's hear some good experiences that you would never have had, except for here on the HAMB. No need to name names unless you want to publicly thank someone.

Doug.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. hello, my name is keith im addicted to old american cars pre 1973

most here dont aggree with this

3. NoSurf sent me some pieces chopped out of a model a top to fix the bad spots on mine......pretty awesome.

4. HAMB'ers are much nicer in person than on the internet... me included. :D

Sam

5. RichG

RichG

6. metalix_421

metalix_421

98% of my questions have been answered within 5 minutes without ever giving me a stupid look.... wait i cant see you guys, shit now that I think about im sure 96% of the 98 are giving me that stupid look

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

Same here.. Limey Kid (Stewart) Sent me some Rear quarter windows from a T sedan to help fix my T coupe, and HRM2K Stepped up with a free heater after I found out both my heaters had bad cores!! The Hamb is a great place to be and to get the juices flowing if you've lost interest on a previous project!!! Thanks Fellas!!

8. r8odecay

r8odecay

I miss the pay it forward thread...

9. BadLuck

BadLuck

Ive met some of my greatest friends here on the HAMB... and some of the biggest assholes!:D hahaha! but seriously, what a great place... "Rusk" and "chopt49" were my 24 hour tech support when i was doing my 4 link on my chevy.. "fiftyfiveford" did some great photo shop work on my chevy that actually helped me get the look i have now on my car... and i had some brackets lost at a shop my car was at... i put an ad up asking if anyone had some for sale.. i had a few people contact me.. but "damnford" contacted me, said he had both brackets.. whats my address, he would mail them out to me no charge... i offered to pay for them or at least pay the postage.. he said no way, dont worry about it... 3 days later they were on my door step! WOW! I hope i was able to help some people on here too, but im still learning..
    Thanks to Ryan for creating a such great place to hang out! :)

10. r8odecay

r8odecay

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

It's too late to start the story about the trip to Hershey with Bluto and Mrs. Bluto. I'll be back tomorrow.:rolleyes:

12. duke182

duke182

a very astute observation.
    i have found most hamb members to be very likable
    even the ones i dont often agree with.
    differences of opinion doesnt have to mean constant anomosity and i have made friends and been able to stay in touch with friends through the hamb and most of the tech and the art is inspiring.
    wish i had way more time to spend on here.

13. r8odecay

r8odecay

Wait... forgot about the time a guy had an open drive shaft in the cockpit, rubber fuel hose laying on the wooden floor of his roadster....etc. Everybody said ...FIX THAT SHIT. He said it was cool; so I told him a story (absolutely true) about a somebody that showed up in the ER with a self inflicted apple stuffed up his ass. Mazooma made me a trucker hat with an apple+donkey to illustrate. That was great... (thread was immediately deleted though)

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Good place to be. What really got my is my friends list, it's bigger than I would have ever thought. Theres only 2 that I made a request to and all the others are from people that asked to be my friend, people that I really don't know on a personal level. Guess I did something good for that. The SHOCKER for me was when BAD BOB asked to be a friend, that one really made my day.

15. FONZI

FONZI

Radshit installed 56 olds fender/headlight sections into my 51 chevy while here on vacation, Geeman put me up at his pad and took me on an awesome shop crawl, rouge invited me to the best car event ever (ranch run), and I am sure there are many more I am not thinking of. This place rules.

Fonzi

16. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I was broken down on the side of the road with my Uncle and a buddy on the way to a football game. We got the usual stares since we were in a '54 Ford but noone stopped to help. The guy that finally did was helpful and we BS'ed as we all tinkered with the car. Found out he was on the HAMB as well and on his way home from working at Eagle Field all day. He was on his way home to clean up and head to the same game as us. He called a friend of his and that guy dropped what he was doing too to bring us parts and tools. After a little more side of the road diagnosis we determined the problem was not an easy fix so our new buddy towed us to his house and gave us a ride to the game. After we got back to his place he waited with us untill the flatbed showed up to haul us back to Merced. Seriously cool HAMBer...

17. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

i can ask a question and in 10 minutes get 10 different answers

18. fbama73

fbama73

Bunch of great people. There's always someone doing something that I'm watching and learning from.

Sure there's a few that are... well...

And every bit of dealings of any sort that I've had with ANY member off the main board has been way positive:

Fred, who said "yeah, I've got control arms that will replace your rusty ones. No, you can't pay me for them."

Eric and the guys from Canada, gracing Indy Goodguys with some kickass cars. So great to have met you guys! Looks like I may be working again at Goodguys this year, but the same offer as before will apply between the show hours- will post the cell number again.

John- giving me sound advice in regards to 51 Chevy + Skirts + Fiesta caps

Knuck- sharing jokes at the Ducktail before we even knew that we knew each other from the board.

My only problem is that I've been GETTING a lot from the HAMB, but I haven't been able to do much GIVING. Thought I had a part for a couple of guys, but it wouldn't work. I'll keep trying.

19. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I have gotten more help from guys I don't even know--MJ40's, Olscrounger, and others--can't thank them enough. I spend at least an hour a day on this site. It's as regular as my pancake breakfast.

20. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

I looking to buy a project, have gotten some great feedback on finds. Still haven't bought a car, but know a lot more than a year ago! :D

21. teddyp

teddyp

some great people that i,ve met from all over the world and when my ford died last summer in pa. atlest 12 hambers stop to help

22. BISHOP

BISHOP

I have learned so much about 1930s cars, and have hopefully helped some people along the way, even though Im a smart ass, My intentions are good.
    I have helped share good deals on parts, and everyone has been very appreciative. I like that.
    I appreciate all the info the folks here are so willing to share. I cant count how many times I have been helped out with information.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  23. pops52

pops52

I love coming here. That said, the forum moves so fast that I just can't keep up with it with the amount of time I can dedicate to it in a day. I tend to rely on the search engine to find topics I know interest me. But I miss many new topics that, I'm sure, are also interesting.

Maybe when I retire I'll be able to keep up. :)

24. customcory

customcory

I will tell you how good HAMB is for me. I had colon cancer a couple of years ago, and everyone here was so supportive and gave me a reason to keep on going. I have meet some famous people on here , got my artwork published by Zombie in his magazine because he saw it on the art show. Sent some artwork to the genius Mark Moriarty. 32coupedeville has been down to see my car and bought all our old sheetmetal and a oval window from us. Rod Powell even took time out to send me a pic of his old 51 Merc. Wellsville from Sweden, bought a old 51 Merc from us, we stored it awhile, in the meantime made some Swedish friends. Thats a little bit of it, So far I'm pretty well addicted to it. Where else can you see the old rods and customs being found, restored, and history being made all over again. This is my home.:D

25. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FAT CHANCE !!!! I now have all day and still can't keep up !!

I found the HAMB when I bought Clark's T. I met Jr., spike, johnny longhair, motor mikey and most of the So What guys who have turned out to be very cool.

I got to solve the world's problems with Chopo around the campfire.

Rich Venza knows someone I know so that made me a computer expert ( can this be explained ? ). Through Rich I got to meet Frank Morawski which led to being able to take part in a Pebble Beach build. I now have a good friend in Frank that I enjoy hanging with. I left his house the other night through the garage......as I am walking out, there is the Bell Super Coupe sitting in the garage.......how cool is that ?

Then there are the Maryland HAMBers which is a really cool group of guys.

I got to meet Denise, Megan, plowboy, Norwell, Slim Pickins, hotrodjen, slick 50 and his wife, scary larry and his wife..and many more I didn't mention........you get the picture.

The HAMB helped me understand that the cars of this time frame were what I wanted to see and own the whole time.

This message board is the first thing I do each morning and the last thing I do each night.

I guess you would say my impression is good :D

26. I'd like to give more back than I have until now.

Soon after I found the HAMB, I found the 'Friday Art Show'. I stumbled on in. It's a special weekly feature which humbles with the breadth of talent displayed. -Cory, you're way out front there man;)..
    My 'user profile' here on the HAMB now has an album devoted to the Friday Art Show, and there are over 100 pieces in this album. In the main, the art there would not exist without the motivation of the Friday Art show.

Attached Files:

27. edweird

edweird

I have met so many people on here that thinks like me.............thats scary !! I love the hamb.

28. HAMBAndy, the NW HAMBers, Pay it forward, advice, humor, comradeship. Man, I could go on for awhile but you get the idea.

29. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

The support I received during my cancerous brain tumor from here really helped pull me through.
    The way the HAMB came together for HAMBAndy as well.
    and a few good car things along the way. Love this place and the folks in it!