Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features **1941-1946 Chevy Truck Picture Thread**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Arrowood Rod & Kustom, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Yeah, I know about frustrating computer crap,,
    When you get a chance I think it would be cool to post a full view side shot,
    to be able to tell the effects of the shortening,, looks good so far,
    I am planning on lengthening the frame, so to match the stock 41 length,
    as I too could only find a shortbed single cab,,
    still need to reinforce the inside of the frame,
    the donor frame I am goin to use for lengthening is a 80 dodge,,
    weird how they use 5in channel for frame rails,
    like they're sayin, here match this,, guess what, dodge truck frames are about the same.
    keep us posted, lots of people are doing this swap, or wanting to.

You might want to post your pics in the Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List also.
    here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274702&highlight=s10&page=76
    thanks again KROWN Kustoms

2. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Ill try to get a full side shot, its a litte cramped in my garage but ill see if i can get my lens to zoom out far enough. Im gonna try to post the pics on that thread if i can get them to size up.

3. plan9

plan9

thanks for the pics novadude... i was able to locate a steering box mount, thanks.

if i could trouble you for another favor, Id like to get a measurement of the shifters installed height. is it around 23"? thanks!

4. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

I will measure how high the shifter handle sits above the floor of the cab, correct? I can check that tonight..

5. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

You're welcome,
    You have a high priority since you live where I was born,,
    Long Beach Community back in 54,,

BTW- I measured right about 22in from the floor to the top of the shifter knob.

6. plan9

plan9

Excellent, thanks again :)
    At some point I'll share what it is Im doing once there is something worth showing... right now its about collecting data and locating parts.

I just moved to LB a couple years ago... I have lived in a few different places around LA county over the last 8 yrs but out of all those places Long Beach is the best. My birthplace is San Francisco and grew on the peninsula.

7. plan9

plan9

Missed this one.. yah, I wanted to get an "as installed height" measurement... from the floor to shift knob. I was able to get 23" by looking at pictures but needed confirmation before dropping cash on a part.

8. "Had" two of them? Did you sell my old 46?

9. nightowl44

nightowl44

Here is a picture of mine as I pulled it out of the barn in 2008 where it had sat since 1996. It has a bunch of miles on it with a 292" Chevy six, Saginaw 3-speed/Hurst and later a Muncie 4-speed. I'm re-doing it now with my wife's help. Keeping the six with propane pistons, Offy 4-barrel intake, headers, HEI, New Process 4-speed overdrive, 8.8" Lincoln rear with homebuilt triangulated 4-bar and a Fatman M-II front end with Monte Carlo discs. We enjoyed the truck so much the first 24 years we've got to re-build it again.

Attached Files:

10. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Keep us posted on the build nightowl,
    oh, and btw when you get a chance,
    could you go to the intro thread and do your intro..
    Keeps things on the up and up..
    just noticed it was your 1st post..
    I am behind on my build, probably will post pics soon over in the s10 frame swap thread,

11. bothred

bothred

Do you know who's truck this is? I want to do mine similiar and would like to have some other details.

12. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

The S ten frame swap thread got closed, it was deemed ot, so, please keep the s 10 stuff on the qt(quiet), Please, if you have any ?'s, feel free to pm me.. I am still moving ahead with my project.

13. shaunatk

shaunatk
    from ohio

True true true...

14. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Here is one I built from a 2 1/2 to truck a few years back, Hated selling that one and haven't been able to bring myself to change my avitar to one of my outher cars yet.
    Mostly built out of leftover parts from other projects
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Hey Rottenleanard,
    thats a 40 aint it?
    somethin about these trucks without fenders make em look a little goofy.
    no offense.
    what front axle are you runnin?

16. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

The students in my Auto Tech and Paint and body lab at Sealy High School in Sealy Texas started on this no fender 46 chevy bobber just before Christmas. (Looking for a 46 to 54 bed and 35 grill.) Students have shortened the frame 18 inches swapped the front frame sections left to right to lower the ride height, installed a model A front cross member and 3" dropped tube axle. the plan is to include using a steering rack. The rear is getting Chrysler 300 rear diff, drive axles and brakes combined with a class built De Dion rear axle and quarter elliptical spring /four link set up. The cab will be channeled four inches with a projected ride height at 6 inches at the bottom of the can and 8 inches at the frame.
    Power will be a mild 1962 327(bout 350hp) and saginaw 4 speed.
    All the work is done by high school students. The goal is to build this one from scratch and then find folks who want kit rods built.
    Other customer project cars in shop are a 1963 Ranchero resto-rod 302 powered project and a 1979 El Camino resto-rod tuned port 350 powered project and others.
    Roger Williams
    instructor

17. edweird

edweird

i paint these things if anyone is interested.

Attached Files:

18. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

No it's a 46 I just took three sections of the upper grills and put them together to make that grill, then fabbed the panel that connects it all together. Does make it look like a 39-40
    The front axle was a left over from my wifes 56 chevy pickup, the truck was built out of lots of cast off free stuff

19. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

yeah, i thot it was a 40, oh well..
    if you like it that's all that matters..
    its cool in its own way,
    here's a couple shots of mine, still in progress, still needs work

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  20. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Shaunatk, are you agreeing with the proportions, or the difficulty of these swaps?

Novadude, i hate they took the frame swap thread out, too many people on here with dueces that set in the garage all year I guess:) I built mine to drive, across country if deemed necesary and the most affordable and reliable way to do so is to frame swap in my opinion.

21. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Ease was not considered, the end result was the main motivation,,
    lots of work done, lots to go.
    big truck fenders make them hang lower, i like the look better, they dont exactly match the running board either.. oh well, i can fix that too

Attached Files:

22. 1bad42pickup

1bad42pickup
    from Oxnard ca

Hey "one crusty one" ive got a quick quistion u wouldnt hapen to have any pictures of your motor mounts on ur isuzu frame? Ive also have a truck on the isuzu frame but mine is a 42 dodge ive already got the motor squared in the frame where i want it but im just haveing a little trouble coming up with ideas for the mounts and one other question are u usin the origina radiator that came with the truck?

23. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Hey there 1bad42pickup,
    nice to see you're resurrecting old iron,
    would be great to see your intro back on the intro page,
    hope to see pics of your build, maybe start a thread.. ?

24. Killer

Killer

[​IMG]

This is my Grandpas 42. Yes, its a real 42. ;)

He bought it sometime after the war. (I get different years from different people but it was right after the end anyway). It was used daily for 30+ years. Mr grandpa drove it to work, my grandma drove it to work for awhile... All my aunts and Uncles (and Pops) learned to drive in this truck. My uncle used it daily for his commute to college. He even drove it after getting his signing bonus from the White Sox!

Mid- late 80's, it was stolen. Right outta my Grandparents drive way.

10 years or so go by.... my grandpa is at a stoplight. He sees this truck go by on a flatbed! He couldnt get through the light, tried to follow, just couldnt find it. Bummed. Next day, SAME LIGHT, truck goes by on a flatbed going the other way! This time he was able to find it. Told the owner of the yard it was stolen. Had to call the cops, my uncle came with all the paperwork from when it was stolen. Unfortunately, the VIN had been removed. The cops said you gotta give us something that no one else would know about it... my unle explained a mount he had made out of bailing wire and a beer can for the muffler. The cop looks under the truck and tells the junkyard dude, "you gotta give him back his truck!" My grandpa paid the junkyard guy $25 for the tow and brought it back home.

It sat for a couple years and then he gave it to my Pops. We had the engine rebuilt, did the brakes. Some paint. We had access to a parts truck at a junkyard near my pops work so we were able to replace most of the stuff that was removed from it.

It has a 57 235 that my grandpa swapped in to it. 3 speed trans, enclosed rearend. We're gonna swap a 5 speed in it and an open rear so its easier to drive on the freeway (its comfy at about 55 now... but you arent!). Disc brakes on the front too. It'll still look exactly the same as it does now, just be a little easier to drive in modern day traffic.

Its not perfect. Its not supposed to be. Its my history. I get it when Pops is gone, my son gets it when I'm gone.

This is my uncle when he was about 5. Thats the 42 upper right corner.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, my Grandpa is no longer with us. Talking about this truck will bring anyone in my family to tears telling stories about it and my Grandpa... my cousin even has a pic of this truck tattooed on his arm!

I'm currently the "caretaker".. My folks live in Ohio and have no garage space for it presently... it'll head out that way when they do. I'm enjoying driving it while I can.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  25. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Thanks for posting a great story, love hearing those kind of stories.
    Great truck, great story, great post..:cool:

26. Mark'46

Mark'46
    from Omaha, NE

These are pics of my '45. Yellow pics are what it looks like now. Got it from my wife's uncle. The older gentleman is his father. It was actually my wife's great-grandfathers truck and the uncle had it in the barn since '76.

Attached Files:

27. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

45 is a rare year for any vehicle,
    very nice truck,

28. toolman1967

toolman1967

I have had my '41 for 3 years now. Still working on her ( going slow due to really bad back)

Attached Files:

29. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Cool ,, Looks a lot better than any of mine for sure,,:eek:
    Hope your back recovers and gets better toolman1967

30. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

This is my old 1945 chevy.1953 chevy 2ton frame,81 chevy front and rear,small block and 700r4 trans.I sold it and sure do miss it .anyone ever see it around?
    [​IMG]