Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just curious (Phx. hist.)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by landseaandair, Mar 10, 2009.

1. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Chip, how'd you type all that when I could only get out this^^^. I must think slow.

els likes this.
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes, I will confirm on Dutches striping on the walls and booths at Minder Binders! 'Course, I can't regale too much of the story about being thrown out of said establishment, and into the open sunroof of one of my bugs by two bouncers wilest in a drunken stupore... I honestly thought it seemed okay to jump up on the upstairs bar and start dancing pretty much like the guy in the Molson's moose costume for the "Moose is Loose" promotion... Don't remember where most of my clothing ended up though...

els likes this.
  3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

4. I was there! Was that really you? You were hysterical - no not really, but I did go to MBs a lot. They just don't have places like that anymore. I had no idea VD was there - in da hood back then - We would hit all the spots from there to the Riverbottom, that under ground place and The Goat's head place, the library, Mr. Lucky's, that big CW bar out on Indian School by Grand Ave. and The Casa Loma for Tequila night on and on - Phoenix had a lot of fun places back then -

els likes this.
  5. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

I knew Tweety, He painted cars out of Scottsdale speed Sp. in 69 and early 70's.He painted my brother 68 vette,the Christown Corvette. I had a 66 ChevelleSS he painted.Tex Collins had his Allison Mustang funny car and allison powered Garbage truck [I seen the allison powered Gargage truck for sale at Pomona a few years ago, still had Tweetys paint job]painted there]. Tommy Ivo glass enclosed Truck was painted by Tweety too[ Tex Collins bought the truck from Tommy Ivo].Tweety at one time died his hair Green. Von Dutch lived in his bus in the parking lot of Scottsdale Speed. I worked there in the early 70's.Both Tweety and Von Dutch liked there beer. I recalled that Von Dutch has a tricycle with a small motor on it. He ran it at the winternationals at Beeline. Got a throphy, no one in his class I guess.Von Dutch wore out his welcome, I was told,he moved down in his bus to the river bottom off of Scottsdale road.

els likes this.
  6. Just curious - Does anyone remeber a certain White cab-over thta was pearl white with a nice flame job? Seemed like it had a Hemi in it as well. He used it to haul the bikes around. It developed a fuel leak and burned. What a shame it was such a nice piece of work and lots of personality to boot!
    It belonged to a guy who had a motorcycle shop on 7th or 12th St? in 1970?

He and his buddies used to have barn races in an old shed with little cc bikes. The shed had a slick cement floor and two center upright support pipes about 30 feet apart. They would go round and round the track rather quicly.

els likes this.
  7. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I remember barn races. Washington and 48st I think. my brother in law Sil Modesti, and Brian Ross, who raced Moto Cross in the early 70's out Of Salem's on 7th street, Indian school road. I used to work there and dont remember a cab over. but there were some barn bike there. I built one for barn racing but never ran it there. Would take it out to 7th street and bell, in the midle of nowhere and cww trail with it. an old knee action Jawa.

els likes this.
  8. Exactly! I worked there for a brief period before Johnny Loper made me an offer - I'm pretty sure that truck belonged to him - I think it was a White

els likes this.
  9. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Where did you work? I also went to washington high school in 63, freshman year.

els likes this.
  10. WHS Class of '65 and still alive!
    I got home from the Coasty Guards Dec of 1969. Started finishing my 1st T.
    The MC shop was about the 2nd brief job I had, then went to work for Loper.
    Sorry I don't have exact dates. I went to DeVry for a while, was a water-softener installer/plumber/salt delivery guy. I worked for Volt technical for a while then '72 got married and had to reinlist to cover a bunch of medical bills.

els likes this.
  11. wetspeed

wetspeed
    from So Cal

Here are three Photos that I found last night. I believe they were taken at Mel Larson's Phoenix Dragway in the Early 70s either by my mother or myself... Enjoy

[​IMG]
    <br>
    [​IMG]
    <br>
    [​IMG]

els likes this.
  12. wetspeed

wetspeed
    from So Cal

Here is a Photo I took at Beeline Dragway in the mid to late 70's...

[​IMG]

els likes this.
  13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Does look like Arizona terrain and the plates are the right color for the time, not Mel Larsons though, no wall. Wish I could read the sign on the log barrier.

els likes this.
  14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Tucson maybe? Wetspeed grew up here and hadn't left Phoenix until the early nineties... Knowing him they have to be an AZ strip. I just got a text from him a few moments ago that his dad passed today, so he probably won't have time to try to pin point these pictures for a few days at least.

els likes this.
  15. Bill Rowe is still around I see him once in a great while, He still has Krazy Horse, His son Travis was racing aswell for awhile had a Fed with a small block chevy in it but he hasn't been out for quite awhile now either.

els likes this.
  16. There was a Goosic store on 35th ave just north of Glendale, the shopping center is still there. Who's shop was at Bethany Home and the 17? would have been around the early 70's I remember going with a friend and his dad a couple of times.Anybody remember a 55-56' chevy D/gas car called Bankruptcy?

els likes this.
  17. GreggAz

GreggAz

[​IMG]

this photo was brought into the shop the other day...
    the only person I know in it is second from the right, Hoot Gibson.

els likes this.
  18. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

wetsdpeed's photos on post #281 don't look familiar to me either, the big buildings in the background might be aircraft hangars. I wonder if it's Winslow or Tucson, I'll show them to a few old timers tomorrow and see if they know.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    els likes this.
  19. ironpile

ironpile

I worked at Grube`s automotive on Grand and we did a lot of business with RAP.:D

els likes this.
  20. I do not recognize the pics either. Does not look like Mels and not Beeline.

Steve

els likes this.
  21. ironpile

ironpile

I was at that event,as I recall the car hit the guardrail on the oval track,which was part of the shutdown area.I think that was the first and last drag race held there.I could very well be wrong that was a long time ago.

els likes this.
  22. Just down the street from Bill Johnson's big Apple. Remember his radio show and Rabit?
    I never saw any photos of her.

els likes this.
  23. Might you be thinking of Brownie Brothers or Brown Brothers, something like that?

els likes this.
  24. Do you remember who you sold the car to or what happened to it?

els likes this.
  25. Re: Corky - here is a picture of his last ride. Last I saw it it was owned by Tom Yeager out in Buckeye.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  26. Curious if anyone here remembers, or may have pics to share, of a certain red '66 GTO drag car? I remember it running at both Beeline and Mels in the mid 70s. It was called "Red Baron" and had local sponsorship. It's name was painted on the doors with the German cross.
    This thread needs a wake up call anyway.

els likes this.
  27. Mrjona55

Mrjona55

Hello I'm jonathan. I read most of this thread... I'm from California but I think I might of stumbled on to some Arizona racing history.. I caught a few people talking about the Goosic brother and I was curious to know if anyone had pictures of there car(s). Specialy the model T... Or any mire info. On the bros. It would be greatly appreciated .

els likes this.
  28. Bill Goosic is on facebook.

els likes this.
  29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I worked at the Checker Auto store in the early 70's it was located at 25th ave and Glendale,Ed Smith's Speed was behind us and there was a sheep pen on one side of us an a small trailer park next door.I don't remember any shops off Bethany & the 17 at that time, at 27th and Bethany it was Tang's Market made my beer runs there and stopped at the Green Dragon Tavern across the street a lot,always salty popcorn on the bar and great keilbasa.

els likes this.
  30. Mrjona55

Mrjona55

Thanks guys..... Anyone remember the M/T the goosic bros. Uses to run.??? It was white ?

els likes this.