Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to keep cars from getting stolen from Hotels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think this is just plain rotten every time we hear about someone being in a town for an event and then end up getting their car or truck stolen. Perhaps it has to come down to safety in numbers when a few or a bunch of you are staying at a Hotel. Get together with other car guys so everyone knows who is who & then work out a series of say 2 hour or 3 hour shifts shifts throughout the night taking turns where 1 or 2 guys/gals are on duty to watch over the vehicles. I am sure that if I toss this idea out that enough of you can detail it and run with it when your on a trip. Just maybe some people can prevent something like this from happening to themselves. Anyway, just my 2 cents worth tonight.

2. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

I doubt anyone would do it. If a car gets gone because they dozed off on their "Shift" then its on them.

too much liability me thinks...

cheers
    Hodge

3. ciscokid

ciscokid

Also NEVER rule out the assumption that the security is in on it.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Should put alarm sytems in our cars ,That would throw them off .Or take a jack and remove one wheel from car or two

5. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

If you had a big group and you could work it out it is possible to hire off duty police. Most pds charge about 25 to 35 an hour with a 4 hr minimum. It would require some planning in advance but it is possible.

6. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

For the most part car alarms are useless. The general public has become so used to hearing them that they don't even look.

7. historynw

historynw

We have a show in the New York Metro area that the organizer does just that. He has shifts organized. We have others in Washington DC where we scout out security friendly hotel venues. A five story below ground parking garage works quite well when the lower levels are seal off. But as said we are all responsible for our own cars. Most stuff only slows them down. We just need to slow them down so they can get the beating of their lives.

8. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

bag your cars, and disconnect the compressor on switch. Where you goin'? nowhere.

9. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

we do that at the Falcon shows I go to...Golf carts and all....and Ohio-IN-KY are CC states......

10. Have someone stand watch from a room window above with a bow and arrow.....
    Make sure that theyre a good shot- don't miss.....

11. A pet rattlesnake on the seat would be a good anti theft idea:eek:. Seriously it is a shame it had to come to this. I imagine the shift plan would work out best, but someone will be tired the next day and the trip home.

12. sakelley22

sakelley22
    from Easley SC

I have a battery disconnect under my seat a toggle switch for the fuel pump under the dash and I take my steering wheel in the room with me when I go to shows and I still worry if a damn theif wants it the only thing thats gonna stop them is an ass whoopin from hell or a .357

13. Emmett Customs

Emmett Customs
    from Emmett ID

I throw a cover on mine and sleep in the back seat with a 357. I think I even sleep better than if I was in my room with the wife because less noise and no worries.

14. ems customer service

ems customer service

ever hear of a rollback they are thieves too

15. thesupersized

thesupersized

but now everyone knows the secrets of your car....

16. RisinOutlaw

RisinOutlaw
    from Tucson, AZ

They call this fireguard in the Army. Depending how many people you have, have 1 or 2 people pull 1 a one hour shift at a time. Sure you lose an hour of sleep, but it could be worth it if it saves your rig.

17. 21tat

21tat

The thieves need to be caught and have their asses whipped real good.

18. Fiatdude

Fiatdude
    from SoCal

19. daddio211

daddio211

I never travel unarmed, and hope I never have to pull my weapon. That said fellas, remember your car isn't worth taking someone else's life, no matter what a scum-bag thief they might be. Also, being the hero that holds said scum-bag at gun point until the cops arrive may create more legal trouble for you than the thief you busted!

Sad but true! Be careful, but be smart, and don't be a vigilante!

20. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i had a grant removeable steering wheel on my jeep cj-7( lived in an apartment )....no top/doors it was pretty much wide open..when i parked it id turn the wheels full lock one way,just make it a little harder if they tried to pull it onto a flatbed..

21. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

a big pitbull named spike sitting in the driver seat might work

22. Joe King

Joe King

23. RisinOutlaw

RisinOutlaw
    from Tucson, AZ

To a lot of the people around here, their cars are priceless. What if they never find the car? Theft prevention>theft recovery IMO.

24. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Chain it to the car parked next to it.

25. K and K

K and K

Bolt cutters are cheap and a tool that could be found in any ride that is dropping the thief bastard off. I agree with wheel removal, and an alarm that contacts your cell the moment the alarm is set off and has gps tracking capability.

26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not being a vigilante----But a cwp carrier---Protecting ones property in this case, is a legal shooting, a good car thief is a dead one!---Rather be tried by 12---Than carried by 6!!;);)

27. Ha ha, that's great!

28. S.F.

S.F.

well, an idea a friend of mine had was we could chain the hot rods together with a couple log chians. Like through the front between the leaf spring and the axle, then to the other car....then on the back do another one from rear axle to rear axle....then remove the rotor...have a gas shutoff and a hidden kill switch...also a battery shut off....maybe even take a wheel off each car and take them in the hotel with you.

29. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

take turns sitting with cars if you have to, also 9mm and a great shot is a good insurance policy!

30. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Let me know how that works out for you. Not sure what state you're in but here protection of personal property does not authorize deadly force. My car is not worth somebodys life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.