Register now to get rid of these ads!

your garage/workshops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Jan 30, 2011.

1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

hey whats going on every picture i see of your garages the floors are clean and the benches tidy.how come mine looks like a bomb hit it no matter how often i tidy up.hasnt allways been this way just since i started building the rod

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I can work in regulated chaos, but I cannot do a good job when I spend half my time looking for tools or parts - learned that early and learned it well. Garage stays fairly organized, but my office is a totally different situation.

Secret to the garage thing is 'one project at a time' and return tools and/or parts to a specific place set aside for them. Next project dictates different tools, same rule applies.

You can't do a heart transplant in my shop, but you can find a place to lay the patient.

dj

3. uc4me

uc4me

mine is the same way, just too much stuff and not enough space

4. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

I clean up every time I finish. I would rather take a few minutes cleaning and putting things back than taking twice as long next time looking for stuff.

Capt Chap likes this.

5. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

These are the rules of my shop too! When I say "project" I don't mean the whole car either. I mean, a specific project on that car.

6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i think you got it in one if i had twice the space things would be miles better but id probably have twice as much in it

7. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I was standing in my garage just to other day looking around when my wife ask what I was doing. I asked her " where did all this crap come from ? I didn't have it 10 years ago before I built this garage."

8. My shop is small, so i cant have too much junk in it. I usually clean up a couple times a day , like right before lunch, and at the end of the day.

Attached Files:

9. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Always liked mine neat. Easier to find stuff and found it much safer too.
    It can get messy, but I most always clean it up and put all tools where they belong, before shutting off the lights.:cool:

10. Cyclone GT

Cyclone GT

I have to move the mowers, and trash cans out of the garage to even work in it!

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i find the weather helps in dry warm weather i push a car or two out side.gives me room to work.my current project is immobile at the moment until i finish the exhaust andpetrol tank mounting .then i can push it outdoors and tidy the place up..........again and start all over again

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Two people showed up from FEMA yesterday wanting to inspect the disaster damage in my garage and went away disappointed when I told then that there wasn't any storm damage there.

I've got a tiny one car garage built to hold a 36 Chevrolet and nothing else full of a four car shops worth of stuff. Not clean and I'^^ not sure that I can find what I am looking for half the time.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  13. this is what i built my f1 in, it wasnt so bad until i put the front sheetmetal and bed on. with the limited space i have i cant afford to be messy, the garage gets swept and organized every time i finish

Attached Files:

14. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

my garage looks like a tornado went through it. I have 3 ten foot benches and a 3 drawer service cart. other than that i have no storage so stuff gets set on lawn chairs and what ever else i can set up to lay stuff out. although there has got to be a method to my madness because i can tell you where everythin is right now. the area i am working on something is always clean otherwise it becomes a safety issue. wish i had money for storage options but im not remodeling a garage now. im building a hot rod.

15. big bad john

big bad john

.....I found over the years,,,,,,a clear shop saves time and less stress......you need to stay alert when you're working....for better workmanship and use of time.....it really does'nt take any longer to have a clean shop......

16. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Guys say a clean shop indicates a sick mind.... Well I have a sick mind. I try to clean up at the end of the day. I also put tools away. Well thats my 2 cents on that.

17. Root66

Root66
    from Norcal

A mentor of mine once said "In a shop, every horizontal surface eventually becomes storage". Too true, too true.

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

My small shop is like my cars, disheveled.....

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      481.4 KB
      Views:
  19. NikkypDMC

NikkypDMC

they say a person who has clutter and is messy is a sign of genius!

20. A mentor of mine once told me mig welders should have peaked roofs!

21. Never2low

Never2low

Maybe that's why I ride the short bus?:D:p:D
    Everything has a place. I can't stand having to move five things just to set something on the bench to work on it.

22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i have the front/rear wings in one bedroom the hood and doors in my bedroom (its amazing how many jackets you can hang on it )and thepickup bed in the kitchen.cant wait to finish the thing

definatly need a bigger garage

23. i clean up every morning to start my day. it gets me moving and gives me something to do while i plan my day. the shop needs to be orderly. my shop is a mechanic, welding, body, and upholstery shops all in one tiny spot it has to be neat and efficient to get things done.

24. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I try to clean up every day. I don't have a ton of room in the shop now that my truck is disassembled so I like to keep things as neat as possible.

25. evintho

evintho

I like to have room to move around and it drives me crazy having to spend time looking for tools that aren't where they shoud be! I spend a good 1/2 hour or so cleaning mine after every session.

[​IMG]

26. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

I guess i'm one of the sick ones Cause i keep it spotless
    [​IMG]

27. 61falcon

61falcon

28. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

Yes that could have been me,I have a 100 screw drivers,50 pair of pliers,25 big hammers in a 60x100 building and it seems like I don't put anything away untill I can't find any of them, ... IT MIGHT NOT BE THAT BAD BUT IT SEEMS LIKE IT .......

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  29. fbama73

fbama73

Like many, I have the problem of dealing with a small shop, so some semblance of organization is a must. But, I'm happy that I'm not trying to do this outside!

30. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Well hell.... I can't help it.