Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Does anyone know the story of the McCormick 65 Comet. Which one of the originals is this one or is it one of the original wedge 65 Comets? And where is it now? Rumor has it there are two Hayden Proffit 65 Comets, Could one of them be this car? The altered wheel base looks right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;Proffitt's Comet had an axle,the McCormack car appears to be stock type front end.I have personally seen all the paper work from Ford,Lincoln-Mercury,and from Hayden Proffitt on the second[or original]65 Comet.My vote is a tribute to the McCoy injected 64!!!!! ROY.

3. Mr. Squirrel

Mr. Squirrel
    from Texas

when I think I have seen all these cars. I havent :). cant wait to see what else will be posted up

4. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I was thinking the same way, Something about those injectors peeking through the teardrop hood gets the nitro flowing.

It wouldnt be hard if you found that McCormick Comet and didnt know which one it was, put a axle under it and say it was something else, escpecially if the body looked exactally like the Proffit car.It would be an injustice to the McCormick car not to be acknowleded. I too have heard there is paperwork verifying the other Proffit car.

How come we didnt go together and buy that 64 Countdown 3 Comet?

5. 65COMET

65COMET

ClearSpot;that red 65 sedan was built by my friend John Richmond,427,4-speed.The body has migrated to the East and is getting a rebuild. ROY. ROY.

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;I don't think your Happy Meal money and my Wendys Dollar menu money would go very far!!!!! I hope you are feeling better,Fast Eddie told me you were pretty sick,get well!!!!In that picture of the McCoy 64,was it blue? That is a great photo! ROY.

7. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Was down and out for a little while but up and going now.

I'm not sure thats even enough to get a bidder number or even look at the car for that matter.

The McCoy 64 was always that ford burgandy color. The McCoy 65 ( ex Hayden Proffit car I believe) was that purple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

ROY....I figured he was a friend of yours.I borrowed the pic from his HUB garage,where he had a few pics of you and your blue '65 in it.

9. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;I got the McCoy Comet mixed up,I knew it was Burgandy[another senior moment],that picture[2832]is a good one! ClearSpot;yes,John and I have been friends for years,we met at a race in Vegas when he was building that car.I came back from watching NTF qualifying and he and a friend were laying on 120 degree asphalt looking under my car!!!He also built the white,injected cammer 65 Cyclone and the two tone silver,injected,straight axle 65 that are on here. ROY.

10. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Working on the 64 right now.Working on the diet plan. Trying to drop 200 lb's.Took out the interior to see what I can lighten.Putting some MR-10 in.Driver has lost 10 lb's.Trying to sneek up on the sniper at BG.

Looks like I'm going to be at a Benifit car show for Dianne Sox and her Cancer Foundation next year in Buffalo,NY this July 30-31.I'll post the flyer as soon as it is ready.

Being that I have the full endorsement from Buddy and Diane to be the official 64 Comet tribute car, Ive taken the car back to the paint shop to make it more official.I'm having the hood repainted to be more correct for the second version with the teardrop design.Also going to put all the woodgrain decals back in the interior to look more correct.Personally I'm not a big fan of the woodgrain,I prefer chrome,stainless or the black camaracase look better.

[​IMG]

When I painted the car I didnt have a good shot of how the hood was suppose to be.So I made a best guess that I liked.

I met John Durand in York last summer.He was the original Photographer that did the photo shoot for the premier issue of Super Stock and Drag Illustrated Dec. 64. He did the whole feature on Ronnie Sox's Comet.

Next year if I can get back to York he was going to Shoot my car.Hopfully at the same location if we can.

Any way John has a website that has a ton of A/FX comets, Mustang, And Thunderbolt Photos for sale.
    Johns photos were instrumental in the correctness of my car and this is where I found a Proper pic of how the hood is suppose to look like.This photo is from my own collection just to show what I'm doing.For those interested in Johns photo's here is the website.

http://jdurand.smugmug.com/

[​IMG]

In this photo it looks like Ronnie got his new fenders without the chrome accent front cap. But before the Ram air hood. Too busy whooping on Malcom Durham to put the fender trim back on.Its amazing to me how much was done on the fly as the season progressed.Three different paint schemes,New fenders,New hood, racing all over the country and a trip to england, and all just in 1964.A true 7 day a week racer. I can barely make three events and have to go broke just to do it. How fun was the sixtes!

11. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

In regards to the Shake Rattle and Roll Comet. I have been refering to it as the McCoy mercury 64. It is not the actual McCoy 64 comet.It may have got some sponsership later in 65 and that may be why its on the upper door McCoy Mercury.The shake Rattle and Roll Comet started out from Spencer Motors Mercury out of Hampden,Va.
    Does anyone have a pic in its original form. Would love to see it.

[​IMG]

The actual McCoy mercury still looks the same as when raced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Here are some pics of my friend Sylvanus Pierce' AFX Comet build. Not meaning to derail the previous post?

[​IMG]

13. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

14. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

15. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

16. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

17. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

18. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

That McCormack car shows Bill Lagana as the driver. Wonder if he could be related to Bobby Lagana & sons who run Fuel Dragster?

19. 65COMET

65COMET

cobrajet2;that 64 is looking beautiful,the paint looks perfect!Was this an original A/FX car? ROY.

20. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

here is the picture that I took at Calisle Pa Ford show...circa 1989/91?[​IMG]
    dammit! I hate being illiterate!

21. 65COMET

65COMET

65 T-BOLT;nothing there.I don't think too many of us on here are computer experts!! ROY.

22. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

Roy, I am trying...I was able to put it in an album here on HAMB

23. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

24. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

i was able to get it this far...lol!

25. cobrajet2

cobrajet2

Roy, I wish it were my car, but I just post the pics for Syl. He will chime in on the paintwork.

Mike

26. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

27. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

28. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

29. spiertb

spiertb

Cobrajet2 put the pics 2838-2842 on for me as I cannot do it. Pic 2838 shows the 1/4 inch of fiberglass filler we had to add to remove the severe sag in the glass doors. It's not a real A/FX car-going to be a replica. The paint was just done (Jan 1) on the shell, its Dupont (Wimbleton White)base coat clear coat applied by one of my former students who now teaches auto body at the local Vocational college. The paint store couldn't mix the Rangoon red correctly (tried several times). Finally I borrowed a quart from a buddy who had his Galaxie painted 11 years ago(don't know how I'm going to replace it). The Comet will have the bubble hood, late fenders with no front emblems, glass doors, 390, solid lifter dual quad, toploader 2.78 trans, 4.56 Detroit Locker, Home modified 10 piece headers, lettered as if raced by me and sponsored by my Dad's Gulf service station. Thanks Sylvanus

30. jkc302

jkc302