Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 318 to a 440 swap ?????'s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mosquito13, Jan 30, 2011.

1. mosquito13

mosquito13
    from sarasota

what i have 64 dodge polara 440 with a 318 poly to a 727 pushbutton in it. i have for cheap, a 76 440 engine with a 727 out of a low milage motor home. will the 76 440 engine bolt up to my 64 tranny ?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. First;welcome to the madness! Your 318 trans won't bolt up to the 440,plus you'd want a stronger trans to handle the torque. You'd need a trans from behind a 361,383 or 426(correct bellhousing pattern) to accommodate the push-button mechanism. You could use a later 727(you'd have to adapt a floor/cable shift set-up),but would have to either adapt the tailshaft/ball-and-trunnion u-joint to the later trans case,or change to a later driveshaft to match the later-style yoke.

I'll shoot ya a PM with some more info.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. George

George

The truck engine has some diffrences from the car.

4. 73RR

73RR

...some of the MH transmissions have a e-brake assembly attached that will NOT clear the floor...

If you want a B-RB engine in the hole then first try to locate a 63-64 big block transmission to minimize your pain.

You could also install a 360 with/without a 4" crank and have plenty of street cred...

5. how many miles are low miles? motorhome engines are usually shot at 100k even for a big block its tough on the motor. i have heard that the motorhome trannies use a 4 planetary gearset in the tranny and are tougher then the standard 727. i would go through the 440 and trans.. also make sure its not a 413 industrial.. easiest way to tell is the heads are taller with water outlets front and back. but it will also have 413 stamped in the front webbing between the cyl banks on that machined flat spot. 413 industrial are okay motors if ya swap the cyl heads though. they have forged cranks and the 6 pack rods. just dont make poop for hp in stock trim....

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are also going to have to find a big block K ^^e^^ber if ^^e^^ory serves right fro^^ a few buddies doing the swap back in the 70's. That is to do it right, you can fab ^^ounts though.

Da^^ned ^^ died on the laptop.

7. 35desoto

35desoto

If you find a 62 - 65 pushbutton trans get the torque convertor too. The splines on the imput shaft of those transmissions is smaller than the 66 onwards one. My 63 Dodge has had the same conversion and its the little things that will trip you. A 440 into one of these is a factory set up as there were b/b avaliable during this cars time however its bits like the torque convertor, transmission / driveshaft yoke and older style diff axle set up that may cause frustrations. You can upodate the transmission imput shaft to the later 66 onward size and this may be a way to go.
    Engine mounts are available from Shuemaker(?) so you do not have to change your K member - he makes the coversiuon engine mounts for many Mopar swaps and this really helps the start of the changeover go very well - used his kits in many a swapover

8. overthehill

overthehill

all you need is the big block motor mounts,for a trans. look for a 65 big block it will still be cable shift but will be a slip yoke. check out tonysparts in harringtion de. he should have everything you need.

9. Hmm got a buddy that has all the parts you need, shoot me a pm and i will get you in touch with him.

10. storm king

storm king

Schumacher Creative Services is the place. Their web site is www.engine-swaps.com
    for Mopar to Mopar, they have it.

11. 73RR

73RR

Early mounts have been up on ebay...

The 65 tail shaft can be swapped on to a 63/64 button flite...