Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Great build. You fear no evil!

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

I hate those days ...full day and you feel like the got fuck all done :mad: but hey getting something done is better than sitting inside and pissing the day away watching TV ;)

3. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

I understand slow! I started mine before the holidays, then moved, yada yada yda... I'll get back on it soon hopefully! http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536721

4. I need someone that is in the process of rebuilding one of these Buicks to take a picture or two of the trunk floor out by the quaterpanels .Does the trunkfloor attach to the quaters in some way or is there just a rubber dust seal up against the quater ? Mine are completley shot and I dont know what this area looks like . Please help with this issue if you can. Thanks

5. buickbybirth

buickbybirth

Awesome car and it looks like you have a good plan. Thanks for the pics. Keep us updated.

6. Well I feel better this weekend as I think I accomplished something .Have a look . The first pic is of the repair area. Also the well / floor bracing is bad . #3 Wheelwell panel welded in place also another shot of the bad wheelwell / floor brace. Brace repair panel to large next is the same cut down to a more managable size. Really that was all I needed to fix the area. # 7 is a part of the inner repair panel It was cut at the visible line . More to come . Hang on :D

Attached Files:

7. In this pic you can see the panel welded in place that I had made in pics 5 and 6 I forgot to take pics of this process . It sure is hard to remember to take pictures of all the steps especially when your on a roll . Last is just another shot of the same panel . To get the coutour right on this repair I used 3/16th CRS as a wire form that you cant see . It goes from the welded inner wheelhouse down to the inner wheelhouse down where the inner rocker will be welded on . I will use 1/8" x 5" steel plate for the inner rocker . That will be beefy enough to weld anything to . Maybe next weekend who knows ? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. 53mercury

53mercury

A lot of nice metal bending going on there. Granted I'm an old fart, but to me when you say Hot Rod that in no way brings to mind a tbi 305 chebbie. If your going to all this work put a 455 or better yet a big nail head in there. Just my 2cts. Mike

9. LOL OK I will reiterate that , I should have called it a custom . Yes I agree that a 455 would be very nice or a nailhead but good luck finding one of these that is in running order . I am on a budget and am low on $$$$ at the moment ( working in the house ) so The original 305 that was in the Caprice will have to do for now . Later !!!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Looking good!...you should start keeping track of how much mig wire you use on the car its a good conversation piece at car shows :p ! On my 47 project , I replicated the inner rockers ( they were a rectangular box) with 2x4 1/8th steel tubing, damn thing is stronger that when it left Oshawa in 47 lol .

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Andy, I nominate you for President of The HAMB Weekend Hacker Brigade.
    Your candor is refreshing. We've certainly (us hackers) all been there.

Hard to tell in this photo, but I'm holding what's left of the rubber piece that fits over the edge of the trunk pan where it meets the quarter. '51 Chevy, quite certain Buick would be the same.

[​IMG]

Yea, like maybe a booster rocket. So much for keeping it lightweight, eh Andy? :D

12. Brerhair . Hey hows the project comin . Yeah the 1/8 is a little beefy but easy to work with . The weight issue ? No issue at all LOL, shes a long low custom cruiser As for the trunk seal thats what I thought as well , That the Buick would be the same as the Chevs and Pontiacs of the era. I am waiting on some pics from a guy that has a buick as well that will put this issue to bed for good . I am not to the point of trunk work yet but it is coming fast . See ya ! Andy

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Project is stalled due to lame reasons. Gotta get the mojo back. Living through ya'lls progress reports right now. :eek:

14. Just a small update 9 hours of work and very little done again. This stuff takes a long time . Run out of blueshield gas for the welder run into town and what do ya know ? Not open . Anyway the cardboard is oversize but I think I am going to make a simple quaterpanel and then overlay the body reveal . I put the door on to see what I need and how long the quaterpanel panel patch needs to be.
    3rd picture Still patching the inner structure . As well . Thats it for now . No more work til next Saturday :mad:

Attached Files:

15. koolkemp

koolkemp

That sucks, I hate running out of gas it only happens when you are on a roll!I spent the whole day making my multi pieced trunk lid fit the body...or maybe I should say making the body fit the trunk lid....figure I got another full day of cutting and welding to go...I am sure I got more time in the trunk area than I do on the top chop :eek:

16. Yea, I have been watching and I would say your right as the thread seems like its been all about the trunklid fitment or the rain channel repair . I must admit that I havent checked it out lately but I should go back over your entire thread again . It is , was and still is a very long road to go for you and me !!! The closer the July Nats get the further they are for me and I am talking about the 2012 Nationals LOL !!

17. nali

nali

Suscribed .
    So few Buick , and so few Canadians :p
    So now there s you from NB , Kool from NS .. Can t stand to start mine from QC :p

18. koolkemp

koolkemp

Well lets go ,get it started :D

19. Dont forget fitzee from newfoundland . Geez we need someone from the island (PEI) and we'll have Atlantic Canada coverd . Anybody west of Quebec care to chime in ???

20. koolkemp

koolkemp

We cant go any further than Ontario...they dont have enough rust out west to qualify :p

21. nali

nali

I have to admit my 38 comes from US ... That s why it is not so rusty .
    This explain why I just have to find 4 new fenders (front found from a 37 ) , a whole floor , a few feet of 1/8 to weld on the frame .
    Now I just need a pool and molasses to fix the body :p
    The nice parts is I m really practicing my english .

Do you use a Bentsen adaptor ?

22. A what :eek: :eek: !!! adapter ???

23. nali

nali

24. No adapters needed . Remember I am running the Caprice drivetrain . 305 TBI with the 700 R 4 Andy....

25. nali

nali

Oh Ok ... My plan is keeping a Str 8 with a manual 5 .
    We don t have the same goals .
    Should we see next summer in Granby ? :p

26. Next summer could be a doable ( is that a word ?) thing . Is Granby a good show to run up to . ? Never been . When is it ? And thats next summer as in 2012 , right ?? So you say you are running a straight eight in your 38 ? If my car had of had the original drivetrain in the car when I got it maybe I would run it all stock . But have another look at the start of my thread what you see is what I got when I bought the car last summer . I got a roof , two doors , a trunk lid , hood and a very ambitious undertaking for the rest of the car . :eek: !! ( Come to think of it , I thought I told myself I was done with these rusty piles of crap the last time I drug home one of these rusty piles of crap :D ) OH well !!
    Get up some pics as soon as possible Nali . Later , Andy

27. Screamin J Pito

Screamin J Pito

You and me both! But, just got some gas (certainly does suck running out!) for the welder and hopin to get floor pans on order today or tomorrow! Then, hopefully get to work!

28. csimonds

csimonds

Ok, I'm subscribed! I hope I can scam some idea's off off your's for my 50 Buick project!
    Chuck

29. ratt7

ratt7

Nice job, good to see another Buick back on the road soon.

30. Just subscribed to this build - you are certainly one determined/tireless/talented/glutton for punishment person! Just a great build and the step by step explanations are great as well .... you are an inspiration for all of us to get back to the garage and get to work!