Register now to get rid of these ads!

FRESNO - Where would you live???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FatfenderJ, Jan 28, 2011.

1. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

I took a job southwest of Fresno. Burrel is the name of the town if you can call it that. I want a shop. Wife wants a nice house. Where would live? Also I'm trying to control my commute time to 30 min if possisble.

-J

2. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Kerman if your Portuguese, Selma if your Hispanic, Kingsburg if your Swedish, Reedley or Dinuba if your German, or Fresno if your all of the above. Lots of rural homes/shops on farmland where you can get just the house because many of those small family farms are now lease their productive land to larger operations.

Burrel... 3 streets and a post office. Yeah, not much there.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Actually Kerman if you are Arab.........Tarpey if you are a car guy.

4. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

I would live in the old drag strip tower in Raisin City if they'd let me! :)

5. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

i`d stay in freakin oregon! that way you don`t have to pump your own gas....lol....but seriously

6. Muttley

Muttley

HAHA, I've lived in the Fresno area since 1986 and I've never even heard of Burrel. Take Royalshifters advice, Tarpey is a nice area.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I was really expecting you to bash Fresno. :D
    Tell Larry I said hey if you see him...

8. Muttley

Muttley

I was too tired, was working on just three hours sleep the previous night. I am now fully awake/alert and as of 12:18
    PM Saturday Jan. 29th 2011 Fresno still sucks.

9. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

30 minute commute could be a problem, depending on what you are looking for in a town, riverdale is approx 15, laton 20 to 30 both very small towns and in the tule fog (scary) times triple. I would probably live in Burrel and plan excursions to town, just not many choices in the 30 minute parameter

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I grew up in Reedley. Back then, the town had 1 traffic signal and 2 police cars. My Aunt and Uncle owned the "Flying A" service station at the corner of Reed and Manning. My Aunt still lives across the street from Reedley College and my cousin, who use to live in Oakland, retired and just moved back. His daughter lives in Dinuba. I still like the area but boy, does it get hot during the summer. The Kings River is just behind the college.

11. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

grew up in Hanford, samething, hot in summer fog in winter, fresno in about 30 min driving like hell through Laton on the back roads, all this was about 35 yrs. ago. RD

12. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Thats funny!!!!!

13. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

We dont bash Fresno, we bash Bakersfield. Problem is... Bakersfield always bashes Fresno. Although Fresno has become the butt of more than just a few jokes by Leno.

14. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

Yep Fresno sucks, car/truck scene is decent here though. Fowler is a nice place to live and its about 15 minutes or so from fresno. I've never heard of Burrel so i dont know where it is.

15. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

East of Clovis is nice. Plenty of 2.5 acre lots with nice metal shops to be had. Close enough to town so you can get something without an hour drive and far enough where you can still paint your car without getting arrested.

16. Muttley

Muttley

Really, where? Stop by Chubbys on a Fri/Sat night and you are lucky to see fifteen cars and the ones you do see are always the same. There are quite a few car guys in this area but it seems like most of the stuff stays locked up in the garage until the annual Tower show.

17. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

well i come from a bagged truck background, and that scene is huge here. which is what i meant.

18. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Try somewhere near Eagle Field

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

No, Muttley bashes Fresno, it's a tradition here on the HAMB. :D

lol... I don't think that or Donks should count. :rolleyes:

20. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Screw Riverdale. It might be bigger than Burrel but it's a pos town. It's mostly illegals and gang bangers. Laton? Not much better. Your best choice would be Lemoore. Or maybe look around Armona. It's been awhile since i've been in the Armona area so i'm not sure what it's like now.

But seriously, why the Central Valley? Unemployment is in the 20% area the Tule fog in the winter is a real nightmare. Visability can, and often does, get down to less than 100 feet. It's a hot as hell here in the summer time (100-110) and it has the worst air quality in California.

I'ld stay in Oregon.

21. Pimpin37zephyr

Pimpin37zephyr

Clovis rules! Welcome to central california.

22. 15ASedan

15ASedan

Here's a partial shot of downtown Kingsburg, but I don't think I'd like to make the drive in the winter Tule fog.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  23. casper

casper

Tarpey is really cool. If you are into music, the Tower District is the place, but not much room for a shop in that area. I agree that east of Clovis has nice big lots and also Madera Ranchos. I enjoy it here, but I really don't know any better!

24. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

They rent the house.

25. Mercchev

Mercchev

x2...Lived in the Valley off and on for the last twenty five years. East in the foothills you can at least get out of the heat in the summer and hopefully away from the gang bangers and illegals. Clovis if you want your kids to be educated and not assaulted.

26. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Clovis, Tarpy, Kingsburg, the foothills, etc. might be fine and dandy but Clovis and Tarpy would be about an hour and a half commute. Kingsburg, even farther. You don't want to drive that in the fog.

What he said.

27. 92GTA

92GTA

Another vote for Clovis. I've ony been there a couple times to buy cars but it seemed decent...

28. I've lived in Fresno all my life. It's a Great town. Yes it has it's problems, but what town doesn't. Fresno schools aren't the greatest, Clovis schools are way better. Drive east on Shaw and your in Clovis.

2 - 3 hours east to snow ski, 3 hours to pacific ocean, Famoso Raceway (bakersfield) 2 hours south. Eagle Field hour maybe west.

Triple A baseball downtown. National Champion Fresno State Baseball center of town, Fresno State Football (team breaks my heart :mad:) center of town.

4 big movie theaters, 1 small one. 3 big shopping malls and one that's old downtown.

San Francisco 3.5 hours west. Amusement parks 3 - 4 hours north or south.

FOG is ugly this time of year. Driveable if you drive responsibly (slow). Spring and Fall, 70's - Winter 40's - Summer 100's.

It's a Great town.

Big Mike

29. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

At least you don't need a full set of teeth to live in Armona.

Try Easton. I hear there's some crazy assed dragster builder out there:p.

30. designs that work

designs that work

hey,
    As said above if you have kids Clovis Schools are the highest ranked in the Valley. The drive in the fog can get dangerous because Burrel is in the sticks. I would look at Fowler, the police are a little heavy handed but decent schools and short drive to work. Sanger is close but not a nice place, gang activity. Selma short drive some gang action. Fresno East of Clovis Ave and south of Kings Canyon Ave, some nice areas and some rough also.