Register now to get rid of these ads!

buying a car with no keys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NCKalex, Jan 27, 2011.

1. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

thinkin about picking up a car for sale that the owner lost the keys for. i was assured the engine runs great and all, is there anyway i can start it without keys or at least get the engine to turn over? don't really need a project with extensive engine work right now. thanks for the help.

2. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

length of wire and a screwdriver should do it.

3. NCKalex

NCKalex
    from Fresno, CA

can you explain further?

4. Run a hot wire from the battery to the hot side of the coil or distributer depending on if it has an external coil or an HEI type of distributer. Jump the starter solenoid with a screw driver. It will spin over and light or not.

Actually once you want to run the wire from the battery to the coil you'll start learning all kinds of stuff about the car, probably even where the keys are. Oldest trick in the book, I'd start it for you but I don't have the keys.

5. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

porknbeaner<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_6154501", true); </SCRIPT>
    Oldest trick in the book, I'd start it for you but I don't have the keys.

AMEN Brother !

times two......<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

6. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I Love this. People get all uptight when you want to start testing things.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What kind of car, it might be even easier than Porknbeaner said.

8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

buying a car with no keys

Anything like buying a car with no money?

9. Buying a car with no keys will save you the gas bill. lol.

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Keys? We don't need no stinkin' keys!

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

.........on second thought I better not say that on a public forum, It might cause a theif who didnt know that, to take someones old car.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  12. just like in the movies, reach under the dash pull out a bunch of wires, cut two [ any two] strip the ends and touch them quickly together. Mcgiver taught me that!

13. badshifter

badshifter

They're on the sun visor, or in the gas cap door. If seller won't let you hotwire it, the keys are not lost.

14. Jagman

Jagman

No, don't twist them together, just spark them a couple of times - that's how they do it on TV, even on later model cars with steering locks and computer immobilizers in the missing keys!

15. edweird

edweird

I bought this one without keys.

Attached Files:

16. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Buy an ignition switch with keys and put it in.

17. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Cars that don't run and/or drive are worth way less than ones that do. If you don't hear it run and you can't drive it, either pass or pay accordingly.

18. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Yeah, that even unlocks the steering column somehow.

19. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

What make of car?

20. Gator

Gator

I knew a guy who used to run cars through the auction, one of his tricks was to cut the hood release cable so you couldn't inspect anything under there. He'd also 'lose' engine and tranny dipsticks if there was anything hinkey going on.

21. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Take a piece of wire and run from the Positive side of the battery to the coil , then push the car if you have a clutch or just use a screwdriver to cross the starter solenoid or the solenoid on the fender . That's what was used back in the day .

Retro Jim

22. LanceM

LanceM
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hear! Hear!!

23. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Why are you buying a car from some one who thinks you are stupid? Next it will be that the gas is all gone but he has no keys for the locking gas cap. Gee the battery is dead, my wife drove it to bingo last night and left the lights on. Well it ran great til you got in it, you didn't start it correctly and damaged the flam shot inter governor bater. Trust me it shifts way smoother when it warms up. Don't worry the old cars always knock for a few minutes before they warm up, the carb has to adjust out. Truthfully this one is loosely interpreted as ( common oatmeal loosen up and silence that rod knock )

24. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I bought THIS with no keys:

[​IMG]

But I really wasn't too worried about the motor turning over...

[​IMG]

25. Back in the mid '70s when I was pastor of a church at Shannon GA, had an old fellow in the church 92 years old whose daughter took his car keys ('65 Impala Super Sport--a story in itself, Walt wanted one with the gearshift in the floor like it was on the '37 Chevy he traded in). Daughter told Walt that she was taking his cars keys "'til your eyes get better." Beautiful spring morning, crack of dawn, Walt decided he wanted to go fishing. He hot wired the car and was on his way.

26. Don't no damn screwdriver, just use the dip stick!

27. Oldb

Oldb

I think Walt would have been a great guy to know.

B

28. depending on what kind of car it is you can take the key part of the switch relitively easily and turn the ignition switch with a screw driver... but without knowing what it is.. hard to know.. like u might just be able to run a wire from + of batt to + of coil and turn the hand crank on the front of the engine lol

29. i was given an old cigar box full of keys leftover from a used car lot. twice i was able to find a key that would work... saved me having to change the locks

30. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Take the door cylinder out and have a locksmith key it for you ,That will get you the doors and the trunk ,Also the ignition cylinder and label all wires upon taking it out ....The right way and should be under 80.00 bucks