Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Did you ever cruise "Forest Lane"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grapejuice1998, Jan 25, 2011.

1. grapejuice1998

grapejuice1998
    from Dallas, TX

If you're from the Dallas area and you remember when we used to cruise Forest Lane, you might be interested to know that there is a reunion cruise scheduled for Saturday, June 4, 2011 starting at 8:pM. It was arranged on Facebook, so if you are a member there, you can check in and post on the wall here:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=179030792108420

If you're not a member on Facebook (and I can understand why you wouldn't be), here are the details:
    <hr>Saturday, June 4 at 8:00pm - June 5 at 2:00am
    3605 Forest Lane
    I figured the Arby's is the most appropriate place to congregate, since it is really the only place left that hasn't gone out of business. So shine up your rides, fill your cooler and come on!

There is also a gathering organized and promoted by the same people at Kellers Drive In Friday, June 3 at 7:30pm

http://www.facebook.com/ev<wbr>ent.php?eid=15637474774863<wbr>6

2. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Looking forward to it. Cruised Forest from the mid 70's to early 80's.

3. grapejuice1998

grapejuice1998
    from Dallas, TX

Great! I was beginning to think there weren't any cruisers left here!
    I graduated in 1980, so I cruised Forest a lot from about '78-'82 or so.

4. My brother and I were there from 77-79 or 80, lots of fun for sure.

5. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

I cruise up and down forrest lane several times a week on my lunch break.
    I dunno how it was back in the day, but it suck now. lotsa potholes, uneven spots, and idiot drivers.
    Be careful.

6. Frank

Frank

Before my time, but must have been a big deal. I've heard lots of people talk about it. My time period was late 80's in Mesquite on Galloway or even Seagoville or Balch Springs

7. grapejuice1998

grapejuice1998
    from Dallas, TX

I remember the Galloway cruise, but I didn't go there very often. If I strayed from Forest, I would cruise Buckner.

As for the current situation, it's really more of a nostalgia cruise than anything else. So far about 250 have RSVP'd though, so it could turn into a lot of fun!

8. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Was huge in the late 60's through the early 80's. You might have seen me in a '67 Camaro RS (red, 396, Cragars), 240Z with a 260 motor (black, blue/red/yellow candy stripes, Centerlines), '73 Mach I (351C, black, Centerlines), '69 Cutlass (pearl blue, Cragars), '56 Chevy pickup (327, Chevelle front clip, pearl yellow).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. grapejuice1998

grapejuice1998
    from Dallas, TX

Cool pics!!
    I used to be the wheelman for my buddys '69 Mach1, 428CJ. It was that dark red color with a blacked out shaker hood. He was (and is) a good airplane pilot, but he just didn't have what it took to drive a car like that to it's full potential......and live to tell about it. We mostly ran Forest and raced Emerald and Manana though. This would have been in about 1979-1980. I cruised my own rides too, but they weren't nearly the badass ride that Mustang was.

10. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Spent many a late night hour on Manana and Emerald. Also over on the service road for LBJ before the extension opended up. Lots of fun and a miracle someone didn't get killed. Around 79-80, Wilke's Cuda would've been one of the top cars over there.

11. I thought Wilkie ran a camaro? I remember I think it was him who sunk it in someones pool off Coit

12. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i drove down from tulsa to cruise forest lane..what a blast...

13. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

I observed the end of the line of cruising Forest Lane in the '88 to '90 timeframe...almost no cool cars at that point...too many late model mustangs and all kinds of lowered "mini-trucks" with splash paint jobs, bumping stereos and cargo boxes twirling around on bizarre pivot mechanisms...

That said, kudos for reviving some traditional cruising on Forest and hopefully it catches on. Good work!

14. Tejas

Tejas
    from Texas

15. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

oh, man! gimme page 99 of that article!

You guys doing this have ALL the ingredients found in the article...the route, the stops, the history! This is too cool and I wish I still lived there to take part in this...

16. I ate at that Jack inna Box so many times haha

17. Frank

Frank

God I miss Fenders. Used to be such a blast!

I forgot about Buckner around White Swan. Not to mention races on Dowdy Ferry. Used to be fun to cruise Ennis then too.

18. pastlane

pastlane

Cruised Buckner 1977 to 1980. Got up to Forest a few times but not many. Anyone from the Grove know if Charles (don't call me Chuck) Drinning is still around there?

19. yep - Fenders was the bomb...did Forest early 70's on...until they found the two girls that went missing's - Mustang convert parked there - never found them girls to this day....

20. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

I remember Forest Lane in the mid 60's. It was really something. I worked at the Jack In the Box one summer and the line never stopped from the time I came on shift in the evening until I left late that night. Everyone would congrgate in the FedMart parking lot across from the Jack in the Box. There were literally hundreds of kids every weekend and a lot of kick ass cars because this was once a pretty affluent neighborhood. I graduated high school in 1965 and went on to college so I kind of lost track of it after that.

21. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Got that right Grits. If I wasn't buying gas, I was buying junk food at the Box.

Edit to add: Wilke was running a beater black Cuda. I don't remember what motor but he was one of the first to run nitrous back then. I'll ask Ussery as he knew him better than I did.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  22. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Sad deal there. Susan Smalley lived across the street from me.

http://missinggirlsbook.com/

23. SteveH

SteveH

Yup, I sure did! LBJ @ Marsh, Emerald and Manana too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used to drive from McKinney just to take Wilke & his beat up old Cuda's money, (he always trailered from Richardson). Wilke borrowed Horrunas' pro stock engine one weekend just to get a little of his money back! lol, Got me by 1 link at Manana.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  24. grapejuice1998

grapejuice1998
    from Dallas, TX

I remember that car very well!!!

Here's the car I used to drive for my buddy (pictured).
    [​IMG]

25. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

That red Mach I looks like R.E.'s car... I'm having flashbacks... LOL

26. grapejuice1998

grapejuice1998
    from Dallas, TX

In about 1979, Hot Rod did a monthly article called "Cruisin USA", which they probably stole from this. They covered a new cruising spot in the USA every month. Forest got covered, as did legendary spots like Van Nuys. I was never so proud!!

27. SteveH

SteveH

Yeah I remember the red one. I also had a green '69 Mach 1 with a 460 in it I drove there sometimes besides the Shelby.:)

28. Too Old

Too Old
    from Texas

I spent every spare minute on Forest in the late 60's, anyboby remember the Woody cousins that had matching '65 Falcons? One was streetable and the other had to be towed. They would set up a race at Jack in the Box with the streetable one and go home and get the badass one and meet over on Crown Rd. and take your money.

29. senior fried

senior fried

The good old days, 1973-1978 ,I was kind of done before the mini truck craze hit in the 80's .Not many of the mini trucks around any more. But the cars still are, as we will see on June 4th.

30. I'm trying to find the pictures of my 71 Duster 340 I drove my last year or so there, white with flat black hood and pumpkin orange bucket seats, wish I had it now