Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Your First Model Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimmitchell70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ha,ha yep, I also remember laying the end of a clothes hanger in our wood stove and using it to smelt wheels on home made (plasic axles)= (webbing peices that parts came on in the kits) for the junker builds when I was out of glue:D

2. yekoms

yekoms

Don't remember the first one but,I remember buildin' a bunch of AMT Double Dragster/Fiats.

If the pics worked this is me (7 years old) buildin' and showin' my Aunt and Uncle my stuff.
    Smokey

Attached Files:

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Thats priceless smokey!;)

4. 63 merc comet promo model ...red ... used my little golden books to make a ramp to do stunt show roll overs until the roof broke off doit at speed down the stairs with a board..

5. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I do not remember what it was but it was AMT 1/24 scale and it was a 50's convertible

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

not my first, but my first model car contest at "Toytown" toy shore in Rosemead, California, around 1962-63.
    Mine is the blue touring drag car in the middle on the bottom shelf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. paintcan54

paintcan54

My first model that I done was a '59 Olds hardtop. Just came from the hobby shop looked at some still thinking which, I want to build drag cars or customs?

8. misfire

misfire

The Monogram Tom Daniel T rantula was My first kit.My Mother and Father wanted Me to take a swimming class at the YMCA and they would buy Me the kit.I never did get the swimming lessons,but did get the kit!Glued bombed it to death. I have been building model cars now 41 years.Time does fly!

9. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

My first was a Revell 56 Nomad, Sprayed an entire can of Testors green metallic paint on it in about 2 minutes,Then once it was halfway dry I assembled it with a full tube of the old Testors cement! It was a real beauty!

10. Deuces

Deuces

Just got this one yesterday! :) I can't wait to get started on it.. :D

Attached Files:

11. r_bryant

r_bryant

I remember building an AMT 57 Chev when i was about 8. That would make it around 1966. No paint and lots of glue. Here we are 48 years later and i'm still building models, but now i paint them.

Deuces likes this.
  12. Model Rodder

Model Rodder

Mine was the AMT '49 Ford, built with all the hot rod bits glued on. Still got it, in lots and lots of pieces...
    That kit is still one of my favourites.

Dave

Deuces likes this.
  13. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

The mark of a true pro :D

Hey, I bet you thought it looked good!

Eric

14. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Those sure were the days when kids could be kids and let their imaginations run free rather than be taken over with electronics. When children played together and had clubs. Note what the sign says. Now days if you call someone a "boy" you would get flack back. Sigh...:(

Eric

15. Steve 38

Steve 38

My first was a 71 Mustang fastback, followed by a Lincoln Continental, then a custom 70s Datsun pick-up truck. Were all 1/24 scale kitsets. My father bought them each for me as Xmas or birthday presents, then he put them together, and painted them, and I wasn't allowed to help. I could only watch from the other end of the table. Then he put them in a glass cabinet with a key lock which only he had access too. Sometimes he let me have access to them, but only so they could be positioned on a table, and I wasn't allowed to touch them. Actually, now I think about it, I got the short end of that deal!

16. customcory

customcory

Mazomma1, thats some really neat pics. :D

17. Mine was a 70SS Chevelle.
    I think I painted it like 6x.Lol

18. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I was 7 years old and my aunt gave me an AMT '59 Edsel kit, Good Lord an Edsel!
    Brush painted blue metallic, wish I still had it.
    Many, many models later, the rest is just history now.

19. racemad55

racemad55

The first one I remember was a promo style johan 56 desoto tri-tone pink-white-gray,right out of the front display window at a small hobby shop in Schenectady N.Y. I was 4 years old in 56,next came the small revell highway pioneers 32 jalopy coupe,the roadster,56 buick customizing kit,then the black strombecker 32 coupe & the copper roadster,then a bizillion more.

20. ironpile

ironpile

My first model car was a 58 Ford dealer giveaway. In 1958 .I painted it with an old fashioned pump fly sprayer,very difficult without thinning the paint.I thought the powder blue was cool.

21. belair57

belair57
    from australia

mine was a 1937 chev coupe. had a total of 30 models till i got married, and now i'm into 1/18 models which i have 68 in total.

22. Deuces

Deuces

That one is priceless! :D

23. JakesA

JakesA

It was in the early 60's and the kit was the Monogram 32 Ford deuce roadster. I was making a reasonable job of it for an 8 year old except one of the rear tyre halves was badly formed and I couldn't finish the car because of it.
    My dad who had no interest in cars and was not what you would call dexterous tried to shape the tyre over the gas stove and burnt his fingers resulting in one molten tyre and the deuce crashing to the floor!!
    End result was that I was given the "Red Chariot" as a replacement and no more parental was forthcoming.

24. Deuces

Deuces

I used to deliver the "Detroit News" for 3 years during the early 70's... I'd buy a kit almost every Saturday and most of those were the MPC annuals.. I think it's time those old kits make a comeback.. :cool:

25. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

My first model kit was an F-104 Starfighter in I think 1988, but my first model car was an AMT 57 Fairlane, then a 49 Merc that I chopped , hard-topped and shaved, but I have older brothers so they didn't last long, I am cloning my 57 Ford kit now though.

[​IMG]

Using a lot of used vintage parts because they dropped most of the cool bits in the 57 Ford kit, plus the doors are used because the were missing from this kit when I got it new.

I have one of my dads first models too, a 1940 Ford coupe that he built in 1958.

26. mtflat

mtflat

My first model was a 1940 Ford coupe. It came with enough extra parts to make it a 39 Deluxe. I was 10 and the year was 1963. Later that year I rec'd my second model as a gift - a 1962 Rambler American. They're both long gone.

I still have one from that time period. I somehow kept a '66 Chevelle that I naturally customized, brush painted exterior blue with yellow interior. Aahhhhhh yeah.....

Recently took my 10 year old grandson to the hobby store to pick out his first model. His choice was a 1969 Shelby GT-500 - I'm so proud of that boy!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  27. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

this one?

[​IMG]

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

this one?

[​IMG]

29. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I was 8 when I got that Edsel kit. It got blown to smithereens by a Cherrybomb on the 4th of July. When I got better at building them I didn't blow them up, although a couple got model rocket engines installed in them, just like Art Arfons lol.

30. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks Maz for posting those!! :)