Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. So many great photos, I wish I had some originals to share of mine own. All I can do is post a few that I found, that I don't remember seeing on this great thread.

Two of Bobby Allison. #2,#12
    I like the photo of Ridley #98 , I think the car is a Falcon.
    Robert Hamke # 74, I love all of the old Nova's and ChevyIIs, Falcons something about the tires sticking past the fenders, it always appealed to me.

2. I am not into the luck thing I think you make your own, but I think this guy has the 13's and the green race cars beat.

3. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

I

Isn' there a funny story about Delma regarding a wreck or something and he was walking down the pit road. Someone said something to him and he had a hilarious response. Sorry I can't recall it. Maybe someone will know.

4. beanis

beanis

Which wreck? :D

Dunno which story you're remembering...but you're talkin' about Delma, so there's plenty of 'em. :)

5. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

Danny,

I AM GUESSING,,, but imho,,,it was do to COST and weight. These 52 to 54 fords came with V8's that were either a Flat head or a OHV which was a POS that went bad early,, but you could easily put in a later model Ford Y-block (like a 292 or a 312 ), so good body condition 52-54 with bad engines could be had for a LOT cheaper than a 55 to 59 , and the chassis/suspension was real close to what a 55-56 was. After the 55 ford came out nobody wanted the 52 to 54's so that made them cheaper too,,,and ford sold LOTS of 52 to 54's so the local supply was huge,,,But 55-56 fords were lots more money to buy.

So the 52-4 ford was cheaper to build and race, was lighter, had a simular chassis as a 55-6, and was V8 ready.

This was not the case with the CHEVY,,,49 to 54 chevys never had V8's and putting in a V8 was a lot of fabrication, they also had a torque tube rear axle, and their suspesion and chassis was not at all like the superior chassis of a 55 chevy,,,IMHO that is why you never seen many pre- 55's short track stock cars, only 55's and on up.

1954 Ford announced the replacement of the venerable flathed V8 with a new 239 cid, 130 horsepower overhead-valve V8. Called the Y-block (because of it's cross-section appearance), this was the hottest engine available in low-priced automobiles. A larger 233 cid overhead valve six rated at 115 horsepower was also available. Front suspension now featured ball joints rather than kingpins. The 1954 Ford used the same bodies as the 1952-1953 model years with updated trim. The horizontal bar grille featured a centrally located bullet with parking lights on either end.

6. jrose7004

jrose7004

666 is the sign of the 'Devil"!

7. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I don't remember Eddie Sachs coming to the Fairgrounds for the International 500, but I seem to recall the Zecol-Lubaid Ford. The photo of Nelson a few posts back sure looks like the Fairgrounds.

8. k9racer

k9racer

Fellow HAMB members this young man knows his race car history. He is a tour guide for the racing hall of fame in Dawsonville.. He has past cup champions /drivers crew cheifs and owners know him by name.. I have seen him talking to Mr. Parks and many other famous racers . He is only 15 years old and knows more than most folks that were in the middle of the racing...The reason I know about him the editors of the Ga. auto racing hall of fame publication Pioneer pages did a article on him.. Bobby

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  9. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

If this is Ashville it would be this race
    NASCAR Grand National race
    Asheville-Weaverville Speedway, Weaverville, NC
    March 31, 1957
    200 laps on 0.5 mile dirt oval; 100 miles

<TABLE border=1><STYLE type=text/css> table { border-collapse: separate;empty-cells: show } </STYLE><TBODY><TR><TH>Fin <TH>St <TH>Driver <TH># <TH>Owner <TH>Car <TH>Laps <TH>Money <TH>Status <TH>Laps Led <TR><TD align=right>1 <TD align=right> 3 <TD> Buck Baker <TD align=middle> 87 <TD> Hugh Babb <TD> 1957 Chevrolet <TD align=right>200 <TD align=right> 850 <TD align=right> running <TD align=right>96 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>2 <TD align=right> 7 <TD> Speedy Thompson <TD align=middle> 46 <TD> Hugh Babb <TD> 1957 Chevrolet <TD align=right>199 <TD align=right> 625 <TD align=right> running <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>3 <TD align=right> 4 <TD> Jim Paschal <TD align=middle> 17 <TD> Bill Stroppe <TD> 1957 Mercury <TD align=right>198 <TD align=right> 450 <TD align=right> running <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>4 <TD align=right> 6 <TD> Jack Smith <TD align=middle> <TD> Hugh Babb <TD> <TD align=right> <TD align=right> 350 <TD align=right> <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>5 <TD align=right> 13 <TD> Dick Beaty <TD align=middle> 34 <TD> Dick Beaty <TD> 1956 Ford <TD align=right>188 <TD align=right> 310 <TD align=right> running <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>6 <TD align=right> 14 <TD> Johnny Allen <TD align=middle> 64 <TD> Spook Crawford <TD> 1957 Plymouth <TD align=right>182 <TD align=right> 250 <TD align=right> running <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>7 <TD align=right> 12 <TD> Bill Morton <TD align=middle> 100 <TD> Bill Morton <TD> 1956 Chevrolet <TD align=right>180 <TD align=right> 100 <TD align=right> running <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>8 <TD align=right> 10 <TD> Billy Myers <TD align=middle> 14 <TD> Bill Stroppe <TD> 1957 Mercury <TD align=right>165 <TD align=right> 150 <TD align=right> running <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>9 <TD align=right> 17 <TD> L.D. Austin <TD align=middle> 74 <TD> L.D. Austin <TD> 1956 Chevrolet <TD align=right>162 <TD align=right> 100 <TD align=right> running <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>10 <TD align=right> 11 <TD> Lee Petty <TD align=middle> 42 <TD> Petty Enterprises <TD> 1957 Oldsmobile <TD align=right>141 <TD align=right> 100 <TD align=right> running <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>11 <TD align=right> 15 <TD> Brownie King <TD align=middle> 32 <TD> Jess Potter <TD> 1956 Chevrolet <TD align=right>130 <TD align=right> 100 <TD align=right> running <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>12 <TD align=right> 18 <TD> Clarence DeZalia <TD align=middle> 94 <TD> Clarence DeZalia <TD> 1956 Ford <TD align=right>128 <TD align=right> 100 <TD align=right> throttle <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>13 <TD align=right> 2 <TD> Fireball Roberts <TD align=middle> 22 <TD> Pete DePaolo <TD> 1957 Ford <TD align=right>104 <TD align=right> 100 <TD align=right> piston <TD align=right>50 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>14 <TD align=right> 9 <TD> Ralph Earnhardt <TD align=middle> 188 <TD> Petty Enterprises <TD> 1957 Oldsmobile <TD align=right>71 <TD align=right> 100 <TD align=right> overheating <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>15 <TD align=right> 5 <TD> Paul Goldsmith <TD align=middle> 99 <TD> Pete DePaolo <TD> 1957 Ford <TD align=right>68 <TD align=right> 100 <TD align=right> rear end <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>16 <TD align=right> 1 <TD> Marvin Panch <TD align=middle> 98 <TD> Pete DePaolo <TD> 1957 Ford <TD align=right>54 <TD align=right> 100 <TD align=right> rear end <TD align=right>54 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>17 <TD align=right> 8 <TD> Ralph Moody <TD align=middle> 12 <TD> Pete DePaolo <TD> 1957 Ford <TD align=right>17 <TD align=right> 100 <TD align=right> engine <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>18 <TD align=right> 16 <TD> George Green <TD align=middle> 76 <TD> Lonnie Fish <TD> 1956 Chevrolet <TD align=right>9 <TD align=right> 100 <TD align=right> piston <TD align=right>0 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- footer -->

10. Dr. John

Dr. John

Moe Kessler (approx. 1965) at Johnny's Speedway, North Collins NY
    [​IMG]

11. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Thank You for your kind words sir!
    -Cody

12. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

My bad then, It IS Asheville though. I just got mixed up on the months.
    -Cody

13. 9310alloy

9310alloy

Norm Nelson pic is from Milwaukee.

14. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

I believe Jerry Kulwicki won 6 "Golden torque wrench" awards from USAC as chief mechanic for Norm Nelson.

15. binkerbo

binkerbo
    from Wisconsin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A couple of Dick Bown photos. Perhaps someone here could identify the year and place.

16. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Some early ones from over here

17. alain hebert

alain hebert
    from quebec

a couple of pictures during '70 with Parnelli Jones and drivers from TRAM Am series in Mont Tremblant Quebec

18. HommerSimpson

HommerSimpson

Im looking for photos from Inverness speedway(florida) from years 1978 - 1984 My mentor.. ran his car there.. I was 14 in 1978..

19. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

A while back another poster on this thread asked for pictures from Winston West races at Ascot Park, Calif. I found these - not the best due to cheap photo equipment in Ascot's low light conditions - shot in 1968. Jack McCoy's red '68 Dodge Charger and Ray Elder's fastback '67 Charger (which he had bought from Jack McCoy) in which he went on to win his first of 6 W.West championships in. If I'm remembering correctly, they went on to finish 1st and 2nd that night at Ascot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Sorry for the delayed response modifieddriver. I enjoy the Modifieds whenever possible. I always thought Charlie J’s #1 cars were beautiful, and have used it as an Avatar on other forums in the past.
    I have not seen many vintage car races, but they used to talk about a car that is I am posting here called the Stage Coach driven by LeeRoy Yarbrough. I met a guy a few years ago who has since passed away, and long story short he claimed to own the car, He took me to his shop and it was either the real McCoy or a great copy.
    It was impressive, I think he had put a Clements or Fulton Motor in it that sounded great, maybe you have seen it around.
    I enjoyed Riverside as well, I missed out on I-85, I was either working my way through college or racing a go-cart during those years. Riverside was wild, I remember on one occasion Lee McAlister was really stinking up the show. They would drop the green and he would have a quarter of track lead in a just a few laps that night, when he blew his Motor it was a massive oil dump, and the crowd was cheering to see the stinker finished for the night.
    When Lee came rolling by the cheering grandstand he leaned toward them on his right side, and slowly and deliberately gave the whole grandstand the finger.

Racing is expensive, and it ain’t easy, Lee gain gained some respect points from that night. LOL

The first dirt race I recall was at Lavonia and won by C.L. Pritchett (sp?) he was on a 19 race win streak at the time.

21. I think I saw Butch win a 200 lapper at GPS in that car, at least it was fast. I didn’t write it down and my memory regarding the win isn’t sure enough to be positive.
    At the time the metal was a little rougher or beat up but very fast, , I always wondered about the story on that car since it wasn’t his typical # 16.

I always wondered about Butch’s Nova and Donnie Bishop’s Nova as well. They looked so similar I wondered about the connection. It may have been as simple as Butch just driving Donnie’s car on a few occasions. I don’t know.

The photos are of the # 16, and & 71 with Butch at the wheel.
    The Victory Lane one well.... it has trophy queens.
    I think Tiny Lund once said " doesn't anybody here like girls", that works for me.

22. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Bown ran that car during the '69 Winston West season. The track could be Sears Point (now Infineon) where the series ran two races that year. One of the races was won by Ray Elder and the other by Jack McCoy. I'm not sure if this particular car ever won a W.west race or not.....possibly one up in the Portland area. The next year Dick Bown raced the Ober logging Plymouth and went on a tear winning 6 of the 17 races the series ran that year.

23. estrada169

estrada169

I enjoy looking at all your pics. Do you have more figure8 pics? Thats my favorite kind of racing!

24. estrada169

estrada169

Love this pic! Sure would have wished I could have raced in those deys. Got any more figure8 pics?

25. Falconred

Falconred

I really regret that the last time I saw Butch was in the nursing home. Bill Desmond (when he was with the NASCAR All American Challenge series) and I visited Butch. There were race car photos on the wall, some of which I had shot. I hope Butch knew we were there. He was always friendly at the track.

26. gearhead15

gearhead15

I wonder if Rat is still driving motor coaches for the Ganassi team? Last I heard of him that's what he was doing but it's been a while and he's getting up in age (aren't we all?). I was a regular at Mobile and Pensacola when Rat took over driving that Eddie's Automotive car, must have been '80 or thereabouts. One of the Harahan guys had started driving it but he couldn't get the hang of it and they asked Rat to drive, Rat was always quick down on the coast circuit but he never stuck with a ride very long.

I have a program photo somewhere of Rat in a '34 Ford coupe hobby stock car from around '65 at Mobile. He was a character for sure.

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks.

28. tallzag

tallzag

Bown won one race in 1969, 7/13/69 in Portland at Jantzen Beach Arena. Results say he was driving the 69 Chevelle, this is from the Jack McCoy book.

29. binkerbo

binkerbo
    from Wisconsin

Thank you!

30. tallzag

tallzag

This is courtesy of member DRH556. It is a picture of Bill Foster and Jerry Mooney at the Ontario Permatex race in 1972.

[​IMG]