Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why is cruising dead???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Jan 24, 2011.

1. HoldFast

HoldFast

It's pretty simple really.

Gas prices are high. The economy is down. The police and public are against it. Shows have taken over. I wish I could be a part of the old days where clubs built race cars and put together reliability runs. I know that's where we're heading.

Remember... things cycle. They'll come back... kinda.

2. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Don't get me wrong. I still get in the old heap and drive for absolutely no reason except I love it. But with that said, cruising is like sex. Its just more fun when you're not alone!

3. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

Never said you blamed them, just saying that instead of blaming everything on kids. Look at their parents, I've been fortunate enough to have loving parents that let me do cool shit, and was raised right. But looking at kids my age, it's apparent why they end up being lazy. Everything is done for them, and are never taught how to work or actually find out what it's like to have actual fun.

4. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Well Rob, with a little luck, maybe the Tiki Kings and the Draggers can give LI cruising a little kickstart this season.

5. yeah we used to cruise down on the one ways in downtown Davenport then over to 23rd avenue in moline Il - until the gangs started causing problems in the 90's - Moline put up no loitering signs,tow away zones then finally enacted loitering zones that if you passed by 3 times in less than one to two hours they could bust you & possibly impound your ride- Davenport was good unitl the gangs moved in and then the prostitues and druggies got kicked off of 2nd street up to third and ran into the gangs nad had run-ins with us cruisers the police had to clean up the area which stopped the cruising and re-directed some streets and even closed off one entance to a park that was heavily cruised as well...

6. now just have some established cruise inns at a couple of malls once a month during the summer months...

7. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

I'm 22, work a inconsistent work schedule at a job I have been at for 5 years. I make a tad under 11 dollars an hour and go to school in Pomona. Gas is expensive, and while my income might be ok in relation to the price of gas, my commute, school expenses, and living expenses are the obstacle. Also, not to mention that my 63 Riviera, for example, has costed a lot more money to build than it would have in say 65. Also, socially, its unacceptable to cruise. people older than me think its obnoxious. A lot of people my age don't understand. I had a small group of cruisers in my area that used to go out once a week and cruise the town in a 6 car/truck pack. We'd pick up a car or two some nights just cruising. Only bad part was, we would get hassled a lot by the cops, or by people that didn't appreciate our presence. We didn't drink until the night was over, and we behaved ourselves on the roads. It got to the point where only 2 of us wanted to keep cruising. Also mechanical troubles, added costs of repairs, all added to the trouble.

A side note, yesterday at a tuner meet out in Covina, when the meet was over, two cops pulled over every "meet car" they could pull over to ticket upon leaving. Not because they were speeding, but to check for illegal smog mods, engine mods, vehicle height infractions. ticketing for revenue. I'm not a big fan of that scene, but it isn't fair that they get preyed on without provoking it. Why would you want to cruise and meet if thats the outcome? It'll spill over to the hot rod world soon enough...

8. There's always been 3 or 4 cruise nights around here during the week... they don't get tons of cars, but they always get at least a few.

I dunno, I always drove my car on my own rules, I'm not going to worry about a get together or showing it off or anything to need an excuse to drive it.

9. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

10. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

11. If the '60s indeed was just like the American Graffiti then maybe going back to the '60s wouldn't be a bad idea.

What I remember of the '60s was that the dope was good if it didn't kill you. If the dope didn't get you then you still had the race riots and the National Guard to worry about, if you still survived there was always the never ending police action on the other side of the world.

Traffic tickets for pipes too loud or spinning your tires, even if it was raining or snowing. Folks worried about what your hair or clothing looked like.

Don't get me wrong I had more fun than was legal in the '60s as I have for most of my life, but I would much rather suffer a younger generation that doubts my worth than go back and do it all over again.

Here's the deal with cruisin'. I'm sure someone has pointed this out allow me to be redundant in that case. Cruisin' as we knew it and even cruisin' in a lawn chair as it is done today is all about seeing and being seen. its a trip to no where with nothing to do when you get there.

If you infact are a true died in the wool car guy then you will agree, who cares if anyone sees you if its running and you have the time get in it a go somewhere. If someone sees you along the way that's OK but its about the trip and the car, the vibration of the mill, the rush of the wind through the window and the sound of tires singing on pavement.

The real reason that cruising is dead is because it is lame and adolescent. As some '60s musician pointed out "Gilted wings and giant things make way for other toys"

Maybe its a good time for all of us to grow up, there is a whole lot of the world to see and best seen through the wind screen.

Actually not all of them, my grandaughter is sharp as a tac. I can't say as much for the kids she goes to school with. There is actually a number of the younger set that you and I are both aquainted with that have a little on the ball also. But they are mixed in with a bunch of real slow learners.

Every generation has its dummies.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it has been outlawed because kids these days are stupid.

13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

The thing that pisses me off is a bunch of old guys being a bunch of whiney bastards, claiming that cruising is dead because of the younger generation.

I know sure as anything I haven't done anything to destroy the hobby. I don't like being thrown under the bus for something I didn't do, and thrown into an over-generalized category just because of my age.

How many "high school aged up into their early 20s are a bunch of selfish whinney bastards that don't have sense enough to poor piss out of a boot." characters do you know exactly to say that "most part the young cruisin aged crowd" is like that? The way I figure, not near enough to make the statement in the first place.

Well I don't think all of you should go screw yourselves, just the crazy ones who blame all the woes of life on the younger generation (who I might add, you are/were responsible for.) Seriously, go get screwed, it will relieve some of that tension. I hear some of you old folks got some blood pressure issues that need fixin'.

I treasure the knowledge and traditions of the generations before mine, I think it's sad to see folks of the older generation, who should know better, act in an immature manner. I thought we've come further than that.

I don't have trouble with finding Chevy shocks, but I am having a heck of a time getting my Buick starter solenoid to behave how I'd like it to.

Anyway, I think I got what I wanted off my chest. I have no problem with the prior generations, love them to death. It hurts my feelings to see you guys put down all the younger folks who look up to you.

My apologies for any hurt feelings.

Cruise on everybody... Young and old, cruise on. :cool:

14. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

id be the first to destroy this sign one way or another. 1/4 stick?

15. refried confusion

refried confusion

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  16. Actually to answer you question I am raising my oldest grandaughter I have to go to the highschool on occaision so I can truthfully say that I know a damned lot of selfish whinney bastards that are of the age that "cruisin" is cool.

My kid actually never had a selfish bone in her body and never ever thought that she shouldn't make her own way and earn everything that she had. I seriously doubt that I am responsable for the generation comming up. That would be your parents not me.

I am still sexually active so I have to assume that you are not refering to getting layed and my blood pressure is 120/70 so I'm pretty damned sure that blood pressure isn't my problem.

I am almost concerned that you are too damned ignorant to make a starter solenoid work or find a new one for your Buick. I could probably help you out on that but you really need to take your ignorant arrogant self over to someone that is from your generation and ask them how to fix it or where to find a new one.

17. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

a-fricken-men!

Just because i have a facepage, a cell phone, text my friends, and surf the internet in my free time doesn't mean I, and my entire generation, are the reason why cruising is dead.

Believe me; the majority of us treasure and look up to the traditions that many of you grew up in. And if you ask many of the kids what generation, if they had the choice, would they grow up in? I can gaurantee many of them would say the 40's-50's and early sixties or 70's. i have a friend who has zero sense when it comes to cars and hotrods, etc. She only thinks they are cool to look at. I asked her last night that same question, "what generation do you wish you grew up in?"

...Her answer "i always wanted to live the 50's....how fun and unique that time must've been!"

When you look at the bigger picture; for the current generation; life isn't about friday nights out on the town like it used to be. Sure- we all still go and hang out together, go to dinner, etc but there really isn't any specific "hangout" where you're going to find all your buddies hanging out at. When kids want to go out for a night they call a small group of friends together and they meet up at a local resturaunt...they dont hop in their car and go for a cruise to the suspected local hangout of that night.

Like i said in a previous post, the closest thing we have to such a "scene" is the Berlin turnpike were cruising is still done every friday night, people meet up at the bowling alleys, resturaunts and diners but its smack dab in the middle of the state and at least a 45 minute drive for people who dont live in the immediate area.

I also think the term "cruise" is used different than it once was. Back then, it was a term used to describe how the young crowd would all gather at a favorite hangout or cruise in the cars to the drive-in, etc. today, the term cruise is used to describe an organized car show. It is more about putting your car on display for a day in a parking space at a designated spot that was set months ahead of time. It's not about getting the friends together and going out for a cruise around town to the local hamburger and fries drive-in.

Cruising is very much alive today; just in a totally different form. It's still done today...just in modern day trucks and cars. If you're complaining that the younger generation isn't doing it the way you once did; i dont know what to tell you. The only thing that comes to mind is ask the car comanies to start reproducing vintage rides or start making vintage rides more affordable to young kids to wrench on or drive around. The younger generation just CANT afford classic cars and rods....so they do their version of cruising in more modern vehicles while some are fortunate enough to do it in vintage rides

I also feel like todays generations are more focused on school and work that is less focused on working with their hands. people are so less self-sufficient than they once were. Blue collar jobs are disappearing and so is the middle class. Kids dont grow up in households where the parents take pride int heir vehicles and take pride in building and working on them. You want to get kids involved and start cruising and building cars again? It starts with the parents generating interest and teaching them and providing for them to be able to emerse themselves in such a hobby. If you strike an interest and get them working hands-on with these rides then they are more likely to respect, enjoy and treasure those sorts of things. Unfortunately; liek i said, getting your hands dirty requires hands on work and most kids dont take pride in that sort of thing anymore

I would give anything to be able to grow up as a teenager, young adult in the fifties. Believe me...those of you who did should feel very blessed.

if you want to start a local cruise, talk to a local drive-in, old school drive-in resturaunt, etc and get something going. make it the local hot spot to hang out and encourage people to be responsible drivers and responsible participants. Enjoy your cruise everyone :)

18. strange agent, dude dont get yer panties in a knot there are ALLWAYS exceptions to the rule i dont know you but appearently you are one of the exceptions

its like when you go into a store to buy or return something and for whatever reason you cant and it just hits the wrong nerve and you start talking/yelling to the salesperson like they are the whole corporation from owner all the way down and go home and bitch to your friends and family how how you got treated by that store

its not fair to the salesperson who was just trying to do thier job

i work for my local school district in the schools so i see probably alot more then most
    and when i was in school from like 5 or6th grade on i allways had a hot rod magazine or 2 of some sort on me along with all my friends

today walking down the hall all you hear about is what level are you on whats your high score did you see what whoever posted on facebook blah blah blah

in the school i work in we have 720 kids and out of them i know of 1 that has intrest in old cars (because his dad owns one)

compare that to what it was back about 20 years ago

we are all just generalizing dont take it personnelly for what its worth i like the car in your avatar

19. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

and i think that post was very selfish and arrogant itself. He wasn't generalizing everyone who grew up then. He was referring to a select few posters who have completely trashed our generation as the ones who are responsible for killing the cruise

If you want to blame someone for cruising, don't blame those within this generation who didnt grow up in that sort of environment, dont have a clue about old cars, and dont have a clue what cruising or that type of "hey-day" was like. If you want to blame someone, blame those who participated back in the day for not sharing their stories and memories or for not sharing their knowledge of classic cars and rods with their family. Blame the cops for trashing it all. Blame the irresponsible cruisers from back in the day for giving it a bad rep (but, hey, kids will be kids), blame the shopping malls for giving kids a place to hang out instead of the local drive-in or car hop, blame the education system for stressing the importance of high paying jobs and education, blame the high price demanded for classic cars, rods, and everything associated withthem, blame the government and the price of fuel, etc.Blame it all on everything EXCEPT the kids who are part of this generation who frankly dont have a clue how their parents and grandparents had it back in the day.

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

13 pages huh?
    If we spent half as much time organizing as we do bitching we would not have any problems. People made theese laws people can change them. Get in your cars. I do whatever I want to . Sad ...... Its time to stand up and take control of your lives.

21. I remember the local trouble makers would walk to the Blvd, start fights, and throw shit at the cars. It wasn't good enough, for those less fortunate to have cars....to watch and be inspired....but they found more entertainment in fucking it up for us

22. petes65usa

petes65usa

It's not dead in N.E Ohio......from April to late Oct. there are cruise spots 7 days a week............:D

23. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

This one here's just ridiculous ... ONE trip to the store and back can get you ticketed? :confused:

24. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

You go to one high school and that makes you an expert in demographics? You don't know anything personal about any of those kids, other than your granddaughter.

You are responsible for your children, my parents are responsible for me. Multiply that times the world, and yeah. The old teach the young.

Then what is your problem?

Ouch. That almost hurt.

Well everybody, unless something changes- I'm out of this one. I don't want to get to meddling, and it seems some folks have no logic, reason, or understanding of the English language.

I'm over it all. The world isn't perfect.

25. You are making a wise decision I'm with you.

PM me about your solenoid, I think I got one on the shelf.

26. FLAHotRodder

FLAHotRodder
    from Ocala,FL

cops seem too serious now a days about cruising and want to stop you for whatever they can...gas prices another big factor at $3.19 a gallon it costs a lot to cruise when you get 8-10mpg...all that being said, I cruise when I can..nothing feels better than riding around in an old car and people giving you thumbs up as you pass

27. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

You are right on both points! I'm just over 50. In the 70's I had a great time cruising. It would be sad if I was still doing it now.

I now enjoy driving my Acadian in the summer, to car events, shopping, errands, visting, anywhere I need or want to go to.
    I just think it would be a little weird at my age to be criusing up and down "main street" in the evenings.

28. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Boy some of you guys have really missed the point. If you're reading this, odds are you still have an old car that you love. We go to a parking lot and spend the whole night in lawn chairs. Wouldn't you enjoy the night more if we were all out on the road instead??? I know I would.

29. I'm 55 and would proudly cruise. I would not feel weird about it. An ex friend gave me shit for hanging out at different spots with the younger guys. Said it was "sad' or some dumbass shit like that. Hey, if I want to do fun stuff the younger guys do, like hang out at Motel 6 on the weekend of the Primer Nats, and drink beer and BBQ, and my older friends aren't into it, or can't stay awake past 8PM....what should I do? Shrivel up and die because I'm older and still have some fun in me? You're as young as you feel. If cruising or street racing resumed as it was in the 70's...this old man's on it like a fucking bum on a balony sandwhich:D. If you own a classic car at age 50, why would it be sad to cruise it? Makes no damn sense to me

30. petes65usa

petes65usa

Man I thought you were an asshole the way you put down my primered 56 last year in a post ...but you just hit the nail on the head with this comment..I'm 52 and not ready to call it a night at 10 ...and I'm sure as hell not ready to be old yet " your as old as you feel"....damn right buddy ! :cool: