Register now to get rid of these ads!

T Shirt Rip Off. Possibly PLEASE Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fadt, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fadt

fadt
    from England

I saw the image of Gerry's car at the LA Roadster Show in 2010. They were selling t-shirts that were black. One of the t-shirts had the car in yellow and you could also buy a t-shirt with the car in red. The car has a different look than anything I've ever seen, very easy to spot. They were also selling calendars. It was easy to remember because the words spelled out "Phat's T- buckets 2010 LA Roadster Show".

If anyone out there has seen or got one of these T Shirts can you send me a picture. I want to establish if they used a pic of my T so I can approach them for an explanation to why and how they did it. I have a friend in CA whos brother in law is an attorney, so maybe (if its mine) I have some recompense. I DO NOT want these guys getting away with it with my T or anyone else's. Why sould they make money out of us?

Thanks in advance
    Gerry

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Is it a drawing or a pic? If a pic was taken at a public function like a car show I think you'll be SOL.

3. johnboy13

johnboy13

Yeah, I don't think you can do anything about them using a picture of your car, unless you have the rights to the picture that was used. Sorry.

4. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

I believe that people can use a photo (your car) on merchandise as long as that image is not a registered trade mark. Maybe they will send you a free t-shirt :)

5. I'd actually be pretty stoked if someone used my car in a t-shirt. Hook me up with a bunch of shirts and I'd be good

6. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

anyone put mine on a shirt i would be honered,i would even buy a couple.

7. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Instead of pretending to be legal masterminds maybe just wait let someone answer his question?

8. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I would feel flattered if someone used my car on a shirt!

9. The_Forgotten

The_Forgotten
    from WNY

"Public Domain"
    If he took the picture then it is his property. You're at a car show, people take pictures of cars and post them online or turn them into pieces of art all the time. I think you're going to expend more energy than it's worth chasing this guy. I would be flattered if my car was so thoroughly popular...:p

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

usually when you register for an event you release them from any liability, and give permission for pictures taken at show to be used for whatever. May be fine print, or vague statement.

11. johnboy13

johnboy13

Who's pretending?

12. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

Well, If you read the entire post you would know that we did answer his question. The last line said, "Why sould they make money out of us?" The answer is, because they legally can.

13. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Yeah man,..... I dont think you have anything except a tee shirt with a picture of your car on it.

Im still not really sure why you are so upet other than the fact someone else is making money off your car? Contact a print and sign shop and start selling your own tee shirts if you think they are making a million dollars off your car.

14. moter

moter

X2!

Get over it...move on

15. el shad

el shad

You should keep an eye out for a guy wearing the shirt, punch him in the throat, and take his shirt while he's lying on the ground making gurgling sounds. Chances are it wont be THE guy that made the shirt, rather some poor sap in the wrong place at the wrong time. It might make you feel better none the less.

What? Just an idea.....

16. Gator

Gator

Finally someone's making sense around here...:D

17. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

so if a magazine put your car in some show coverage, lets say the main picture for the article and even used it on the cover to advertise the show coverage, would you get all pissy with them too? I mean they are selling those magazines for probably more than this guy is making on the shirt and I know they don't talk to every person they put in their show coverage.

18. pitman

pitman

A person does have a right to maintain some level of anonymity. Media persons excepted. Then we get into the question of public "works-of-art". Gerry's T is almost or reasonably called, unique. Identifiable in one glance. Yet there was "Dan Woods" work years ago too.
    If someone is making-a-mint off of your "art" you might want to see how this may honor or compensate. It sounds like he has a reasonable inquiry.

19. the-rodster

the-rodster

If they took the pic, they can use in any way they wish.

Get a life.

Rich

20. Bigjake

Bigjake

T Shirt Rip off? Damn I was expecting a hot blonde.

21. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Just like the rest have said, you're SOL. If they took a pic of your car and turned it into artwork for a t-shirt, they can legally do that. Now if you named the car and had the name trademarked, you have a leg to stand on. Regardless, the amount of money you would spend to take legal action will be far more than what you would get out of the t-shirt maker.

I had a car club take artwork of mine and make t-shirts from it without my consent, I could have done something about that, but the club was small and one of my buddies dads were in the club so I let it slide. Funny thing was when I saw a guy wearing the t-shirt for the first time, I asked where he got it and he said his friend made it and did the artwork. However the artwork still had my signature on it, and I said your buddy must have the same name as me...the look on his face was pretty priceless.

22. michaelmoore

michaelmoore

..now thats a great idea .lol i love it . i think i will try it for you

23. RickyRodder

RickyRodder

If it's a business that builds T buckets advertising their work with a picture of your car on it that they clearly did not build then I can see where you'd be upset.

24. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

where can i get one?

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Yeah, that will make a difference. Otherwise, be flattered.

26. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

I can see the reason for being upset here. why should they be making money off of something someone else put their soul into. If my car ended up on some kind of profitable merchandise and i wasn't getting a cut I would feel the same way. I am no legal expert but I agree with what YNOTTAYBLOCK said if you dont have a trademark on the name or the car you would have to imagine one doesn't have much to stand on here. It sucks but it seems its the way it goes. Feel proud that you created something so nice that other people want to show it off too.

27. FLAHotRodder

FLAHotRodder
    from Ocala,FL

me too, that'd be pretty cool..I'd buy a bunch of them haha

28. fadt

fadt
    from England

Thanks guys for all you posts.}this car and all images, both digital and otherwise have had copyright attached to it since 2007 and when on show ALWAYS carries a copyright notice in the form of a sticker. If this was not the case I would just put it down to experience.
    I have the been informed I have the front cover of a UK Rodding magazine reserved for it, when its finally finished, so someone else breaking the copyright and using the picture is a bit too much.

If its your ride its your decision when it or its image can be used by a third party... dont you think?

Gerry

29. fadt

fadt
    from England

They did not take a pic. its been lifted from a forum that also has copyright protection. In any case as the above post says, when on show it ALWAYS carries a copyright notice
    Gerry

30. oldpaint

oldpaint

Hot, Sweaty?:D:D:eek:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.