Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Fairlane Gasser Build Ideas & Pic Post

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Total Performance, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

A 1964 vintage Fairlane Gasser!

It had the big block FE in it , a toploader 4 speed , Econoline buckets and an Econoline straight axle, old school traction bars. Super cool.

After talking to the gentleman who owned the Gasser it had started as a family car. A 500 model 289 car. Then morphed into this beast. They had owned the car since new and the son, who owned it now, and the dad who had passed, used to work on drag cars in So Cal. He had a back shed that was full of diggers and wacky goodies. After the father was no longer around, the son had worked on the car for a short while and simply lost interest. I talked to him for 3 or 4 hrs and we talked out a really good price. He wouldnt part with anything else but felt I would take care of the ole' girl. He's right. We have a new family member. The car sat for decades.

Until I came along, and now she's mine! all mine! Thanks car gods!

I finally was the lucky one, Sweet.......................

I will be building this car in a very traditional style, for the most part, at least thats the plan. My plan is to remove and inspect the ? C.I. FE and replace it with a 455 C.I. Stroker FE that is in the shop waiting for a home, a cross ram M/T manifold, Keep the toploader (hell yes, 4-speed), 9 inch with TBD perfect gear, Inspect the condition of the front econoline exle and either reuse or replace with a unit done craftily by a fellow HAMBer. Keep the buckets and complete the interior, removing the newer switch panel. The body is going to stay fairly original as it sits today. I will keep the steel thunderbolt style hood. Im on the fence when it comes to doing the Thunderbolt ram air through the headlight. It didnt have it in the first place, and im not going to pose this car as a T-Bolt, This baby is all hardtop Gasser. On the other hand that look was very common with the drag fords, Comets, Galaxies, Fairlanes, Falcons, of the day, so it is correct. Plus the cross ram will make it impossible to run the T-Bolt bonnet, thats a good thing, I'd have to use the other type of ram air. Another thing is an engine of this C.I. will surely benifit from ram air. TBD i guess.

****Im looking for some FE Fairlane fenderwell headers that will fit or some one that may have a good premade unit (Headman has a kit for the early Nova but not this application).

****Im also looking for vintage Fairane Gasser photos of this car and others to get the correct feel for the build, This car ran in the late 60's - through the late 70"s. The car has had a repaint in the last (guess) 15 years. It was done in the white again. It ran in SO CAL. Anything you have would be great.

Im open to build ideas! <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG]
    </FIELDSET>

Attached Files:

2. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

cool, always liked the 64 fairlane

3. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Hers another picture of mine as well as one of the only 64' hardtops I have seen track prepped. THis car is Ford Factory racer Phil Bonners ride, I dont believe its a gasser though.

Attached Files:

4. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

newfalconowner-
    I see you have an FE in your bird, what headers did you use? are they fenderwells?

5. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

if i ever finish my falcon, i want a 64 fairlane to do next.

6. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

7. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

8. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

i made a quick pair i was gonna redo once the car is finished but i will just get the ones i listed. heres a pic of the ones i did up quick for fitment.

Attached Files:

9. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Great stuff man, I bet youve got a bunch of time in there. Ive yet to build my own set so I was hoping that there was a few sets out there for purchase. We'll see what pops up but if need be ill tackle the challenge.

10. 60 ford

60 ford

I had a couple of 64 fairlanes over the years, both were 289 automatics.
    I would life to find another one. Cool cars

11. 63Compact

63Compact

Ah life in the Fairlane.

12. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Cool project! Keep us posted.

13. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Ahhhh the power of the HAMB.........

newfalconowner came through with the fenderwell headers that I had been searching for for quite some time. They are for a small block but by grafting on the correct FE flanges and building in the length (if there is any needed at all) from the flange to the bends as needed to fit it should be fairly straight forward.

Thanks again newfalconowner!

Heres a pic-

Attached Files:

droppedstepside likes this.
  14. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Ive decided to go with the headlight ram air for the car. For the reason that it is correct for the car, is very functional and is truely awesome.

After researching the direction I want to follow on this traditional Gasser ive decided that im going to go the 64-66 A/GS road. Meaning it will be right at 7.29 lbs per cubic inch. The build will follow the guidelines of the NHRA rulebook. I want to feel that vibe.

Here is a pic to get us all in the mood.....

I know the 63 Tasca car is an A/FX and not a Gasser but theres so many ways to say COOL! The green car isnt mine but it really is awesome. As per my class rules im not going to alter the wheelbase on my build, but it sure is killer.

Attached Files:

15. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Very cool project! Please keep us up to date on your progress!

16. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

awesome,, show progress pix,, i did a build on my car in here somewhere.

17. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Sorry I've been a bit pre-occupied with a few other builds in the shop. Im doing a fun build at this tread too;

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549153

But I do have a few goodies for the Gasser project as well. I just figured out what wheels I want to run on the project. As per 1964, Im running these steels on the back 15x7 and these Hurst Slicks on em. The wheels will be powder coated black. The fronts are 15x4.5 Rocket 10 spokes. It'll be a sweet look.

Attached Files:

• 213.jpg
      213.jpg
      File size:
      170.2 KB
      Views:
    • 212.jpg
      212.jpg
      File size:
      211.1 KB
      Views:
    • 211.jpg
      211.jpg
      File size:
      214 KB
      Views:
    • 044.jpg
      044.jpg
      File size:
      206.7 KB
      Views:
    • 042.jpg
      042.jpg
      File size:
      219.5 KB
      Views:
  18. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

well, Ive been deep in the SEMA Comet build so I can finish it by november.

But.....Ive been collecting parts as well as finishing the concept in my head.

I picked up this killer manifold the other day. It will be the one I use for the 455ci FE. Although I will need to get the distributor drive pictured as well.

I need the drive! HELP!!!

Attached Files:

• 214.jpg
      214.jpg
      File size:
      195.6 KB
      Views:
    • 190.JPG
      190.JPG
      File size:
      447.1 KB
      Views:
    • 191.JPG
      191.JPG
      File size:
      458 KB
      Views:
  19. 56gasser

56gasser
    from lower al.

Too cool!! Love a Gasser even if it's a Ford!! LOL!

20. Me too! I did one 64 Fairlane over in my day and things are not cheap for those cars, I wish I had kept that one, but my good friend here locally has a killer T-Bolt I can go droll over when necessary. Good luck with the car!:)

21. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

Theres just something super special about these Fairlanes. I know im onto something if I can even get the Bowtie crew to give the nod of approval.

Thanks Boys!

I'm heading to Turlock swap this weekend to hopefully score some fenderwell headers and some misc. build parts.

God I wish I had more cash!

22. I've always been a fan of 63-64 Fairlane drag cars, almost bought a project back in the mid 90's.

I had two questions if anyone would help...

1) How are straight axle setups going down the track, handle okay? Let's say for a 10.00 - 10.50 car. Any advice or comments about straight axle setups in terms of what to watch out for?

2) What is the stock setup, I believe there are lower control arms that connect the rear to torque boxes. Are there also upper control arms? Do racers keep that setup, and do the hardcore guys run adjustable rod-end uppers and lower like fox body mustangs do?

23. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

If you set it up correctly, it will be very stable at speed.
    My car feels the same going through the traps at 155 as it does at 130 mph.
    Set the steering up with cross steer, use a steering dampener, run 8*- 10* caster, and 0-1/8" toe in will be a good place to start.

24. Thanks for replying. I like Chevy II's also.

25. 64T-bolt

64T-bolt
    from Kansas

i built this one a few years back, it has a hamb-unfriendly 514ci in it, but then again, i was shooting for an A/FX, S/S kind of build. . You may already know this but a company called crites restoration sells the headlight ram air kit and lots of other "total performance" type goodies. I used all their stuff on this and it worked great!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

tagging along, looks like fun.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Have you thought about getting Patriot fenderwell headers for a big block Chevy in a BelAire, then hack off the flanges and fit them to your Ford? They're very inexpensive, and would work with very little mods. $224 at Summit Racing.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H8035/

28. 64T-bolt

64T-bolt
    from Kansas

I'm going to do just that to make headers for the cleveland in my '60 falcon. speedway sells a set for 204.00 that look easily adapted as well.

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I saw Speedway had them once, but couldn't find them in an online search. Speedway is usually cheaper than Summit, but they charge $42 S&H, while Summit charges $12.