Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Tail Lights on a 55 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Traditional-T, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Traditional-T

Traditional-T

Hey guys,

Gonna be working on a 1955 Buick Super 2dr. project soon (fingers crossed) and wanted to use 56 Super tail lights. Found some for a good deal but didn't want to buy them if they won't fit.

Anyone know if 56 Buick Super tail lights fit on the 55 Super?

2. If you get the entire chrome housing/bezel I would expect them to be a bolt-on, the cutout looks the same in my Buick book.

3. Traditional-T

Traditional-T

Ya the whole shebang! I thought they might fit but didn't know if it would bolt right up or if I would need to do some modifications. Thank you very much :D

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

my recollection is that the 56 opening is narrower than the 55 - invest in a measuring tape....

5. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

Any thing will fit with enough welding. :D But I looked in my book too and they look damn close. If not it wouldn't take much.

6. Squablow

Squablow

They're certainly not a bolt-on swap, you'd want to cut the ends of the '56 quarters off of a donor car to graft into your car to make it work. I looked into it for my friend's 55.

Sucks, because good '55 tail lights are damn hard to come by.

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I had a 55 Buick Special with 56 taillights. Bought it that way. Looked factory, so I bet it is a bolt in. May need the entire sheband, bucket and all.

Looks WAY better, IMHO.

8. Traditional-T

Traditional-T

Thanks for the info. I found a bunch a pics for both the 55 and 56 and you're right, they won't bolt up and it will take some body work.

I agree! I love the 55 Super front end and interior but those rear tail lights of the 56 Super are just so sleek.. Adding 56 tails is really as far as I want to go (other than a few inch drop) for body mods.

Thanks everyone for your help and input! :D