Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who are the most important builders these days?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stoner, Jan 4, 2006.

1. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

You missed at least one in the Midwest:
    Tom Fritz, Elk River, Minnesota
    see T Fritz on the HAMB

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Do you mean the banned Fritz?

3. lorodz

lorodz

tj throttle jockey
    ian berkley
    rob radcliff
    bass
    grits
    bleed
    dodge rodder
    jesse james
    lilttle man
    tardel
    rudy rodriguez
    bones
    brain darwas
    if names are mispelled sorry neva won tha spellin bee....lol

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  4. Brian Bass gets my vote ! Dallas Tejas.

5. I can't believe this thread got resurrected but I will add my twopence:

Two East Coast builders;Richie Willet and Kelsey Martin.Both have been at it for at least 50 years and they have turned out an impressive amount of work.Richie basically builds cars for himself and then when he's finished sells it to finance another one.His work has been featured on here a couple times and his garage was the subject of one of Ron Covell's metal working videos.

Kelsey does mostly work for others but will occasionally put one together for himself.He has probably chopped more cars than any two other people I could name.One of the wildest was a brand new(at the time)72 Dodge window van that belonged to one of his employees.It had been wrecked and when the insurance adjuster came down to check it out the roof had already been cut off.He went nuts!Wound up making 4 splices across the roof to get everything to line up again.Think it was cut 6 inches.

EDIT:By the way both of them are in or near their 70's

6. robleticia

robleticia

My .02, the most important builders these days are the guys out getting it done in their own garage doing it themselves. All of the guys listed above are truley great builders in their own right, but to me it the every day joe building his dream the way he wants it with his own to hands is what is keeping hot rodding alive.

7. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Still builds an awesome hot rod.

8. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

ha ha, what happened to Fritz?

9. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

I have to agree with everyone I see listed in this thread. The talent displayed on the HAMB is amazing. I'll add another name that I didn't see (or missed when I scrolled through this post)- Jim Sibley. That guy can resurrect the dead.

10. might I add Ian berky? that kids gonna be doing some sick stuff in the yrs to come- best to get your stuff to him early on and be on the ground floor

11. bcharlton

bcharlton
    from Buffalo NY

It's tough rodding in the Northeast Maybe I'll move. We have California Dreamin Hot Rods in Tonawanda (Buffalo) and his works looks great.

BC

12. JimSibley

JimSibley

Wow,
    I am truely honered.

13. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

sldnnmatt (Townsend's); a HAMBer, a Mercologist, and a true gentleman. He chopped my merc and still helps me now that it is back home.

14. DEVILS REJECT

DEVILS REJECT
    from AZ

15. HoldFast

HoldFast

Honestly haven't read this thread but to me the most important builders right now are the ones in high school and college. The future.

There are a lot of cars out there that need saving and if these kids didn't have a desire to learn this could be a lost art. Most people these days just want to destroy history. Recycle and destroy the old and put up new crap. New buildings. New bridges. Electric cars that will destroy the ocean in 10 years when the batteries crap out. Etc.

Yeah the big name guys are import for passing this information on and we have an awesome bridge between the old legends, the new guys rising (oz, jimmy shine, those newer big name guys) and the new young bucks.

16. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

I second the brian bass deal, his "Shit" probably has more talent than i do! he is a cool dude.

17. alexelchingon

alexelchingon

Bass from Texas, i must have stared at his posts with that chevy fastback he built for hours!!!!! The craftsmanship and metalwork on that car is fucking amazing!!! If you havent seen it, look it up

18. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I didn't see Oz Welch or Lee Pratt on the list ..Oz's 49 Mercury.."the bad apple" ...is right up there as one of my favorites of all time.

19. 69fury

69fury

The most important builders these days? The kid in my garage, the kid in your garage, the kid asking "how's that work", "how do you do that.." then "i have an idea, can you help me do this part..."

Not necessarily the best builders currently, but the most important ones- the ones that will carry on the future of the hobby, the ones that need an outlet for their creativity.

rick

20. bamaheel

bamaheel

This thread has been going on this long and still no mention of Bobby Walden?!?!

21. 60 GASSER

60 GASSER

i got one of those , he's 9 and has a brother that is 4 ....boy am i in for it! and i would like to give Bill massey in houston props, he taught me a lot while he was a okie transplant

22. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

Geez I hope not! Hee Hee
    T. Fritz on the HAMB

23. sc3283

sc3283
    from st louis

Anyone NOT on TV that is always whining or crying about deadlines or acting if he is better than everyone in the world while being covered in tattoos

24. The most important builder is the one you have!

25. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

Bryan Fuller, and Jesse James

26. Total Performance

Total Performance
    from Nor Cal

You gotta have Zane Cullen in there from Cotati Speed shop in NOR CAL. That guy is not only an amazing builder with a ton of vision and great project insight, he is really just a great guy. He's one of us regular dudes!

Check out his work....

27. Up here in Canada there is only like 5 or 6 of us doing it, and it could not be done without LEE GRANT ! (jalopy kid).

28. Awww... your making me blush:eek:
    But your right, I can build one hell of a snow fort!

If anyone cares about my 2 cents, these are the builders I get a lot of my inspiration from.
    Jimmy White
    Brian Bass
    Ionia
    Rolling Bones
    Cole Foster
    Brad Masterson
    Bob Bleed
    And of course, The Clutch Poppers Car Club!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011