Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Hot Rod History Tour of LA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rainh8r, Jan 24, 2011.

1. rainh8r

rainh8r

When I was a kid, I always thought that Los Angeles must be filled with hot rods and customs on every corner. The cars, parts, and knowledge to build them were all in one bright, sunny, place. As I got older, reality changed my view a bit, but I always have looked at LA as the place most closely linked to hot rods and customs. After running across some 1948, '49, and '50 Hot Rod magazines, that image came back, as I looked at all the ads for the guys that we now look on as the pioneers of the sport. They were just guys making a living then, and a tiny ad in a new magazine that catered to their racing customers seemed like a good way to grow. So what's on the land or in the buildings that they once used to build the parts and cars we all chase down today? Here are addresses of some of the people and businesses that created it all, so if you're in LA with nothing to do, wear out that rental car and see where it all started. It may be a strip mall or Wal Mart now, but it wasn't then. I haven't been to any of these, but i will try as soon as I can. Have fun.

View attachment HRHT.doc

2. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Look for Pat Ganahl's artical on the shops and what is there now in the The Rodders Journal, #14 I think.

DW

3. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Dans right. The article is called "The grand shop tour" and its an incredible article.

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Yeah, Pat's the master of knowing who, what, where and when in LA....... He can not only tell you where, but when they moved in , when they moved out, what they paid for rent and what they had for dinner!.......he never ceased to amaze me.....a bit of joking.... but he's scary sometimes with how much he knows