Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics of my 50 shoebox daily driver project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PipeWelder81, Jan 23, 2011.

1. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

Just brought her home today, getting ready to dig into it. cant wait to get it on the road!

Attached Files:

2. Looks good........Nice score. What are your plans

3. choptopdoc

choptopdoc
    from tulsa

Very cool man!! Is hard to beat a moredoor for a daily driver. I can dig it!

4. shoebox72

shoebox72

Nice!! Make it safe, lower it & drive it.

5. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

she`s a beaut! give her a good checkup and drive the pans off her.......

6. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

thanks! im not going to get to intense with it. I have done that before and then the project sits for 2 years haha! anyway, im going to rewire the whole car with a Rebel harness, all new fuel lines and tank, brake lines etc. The flatty currently doesnt run, but spins free so i think i will be able to get it fired up. My overall plan is to swap out the flatty for a 5.0HO with EFI have sittin at my house with a Tremec 5spd tranny. The only other mod will be a notched rear with a 4 link and bags so i can do some tail draggin. Shes pretty dirty in the pics, towed it about 1.5 hrs to my house through the lovely salt and slush covered roads! haha, hope u like it

7. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

yea it took me a little while to warm up to a 4dr, but i think they are some of the best looking 4drs out there. Doesnt look much different than a 2dr sedan. For a daily driver it will be just fine, and will be nice when i have kids to throw baby seats in, easy in and out not like a 2dr.

8. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

yeah, some cars the only difference between 2 and 4 doors is the rear handles, the ford like yours is one of the good 4 doors.....i really like it.....since the flatty turns, you gonna try try to run it for a bit? i`m not too much of a purist, but would try to run it for a while.......when it does die, then the 5 0 is standin by.....

9. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

Yea i am not a purist either, but i definately love old school and there is some pain involved with converting to a 5.0 and EFI. I love the character and originality of the flathead, but for a daily driver the 5.0 will be worth it. Im gonna see how the flathead runs, and drive it for a while and see what happens. The biggest flop for me is the 3spd tranny. I wanna be able to hit the highway or shoot down to the beach in the summer and cruise 75mph ya know. We will see what happens.

10. mlagusis

mlagusis

What he said. Get it running and cruise it. Does it have a 3spd with od?

11. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Looks like a nice solid car to start out with...
    Good luck, and keep us posted.
    I like it!

12. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

Yea i dont think it has an overdrive, pretty sure its just a standard 3 spd. The car is pretty solid, the only part that sucks is the floor pans, they were patched at some time, but they did a poor job. Those will come out eventually and i will weld in all new pans. Overall though, not to shabby for being 60 yrs old!

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Looks like a great daily driver . Moredoors DO kick ass for something you're gonna use pretty often , especially when using a child seat (my daughter loved riding in it) . Here's a pic of my old daily drive moredoor I recently sold to buy MY shoebox project .I enjoyed it for several years . Similar lines ...

[​IMG]

14. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

yea im really happy with it. i think it was a good pick. Your car is really unique, its awesome. thats my goal right now is to make it safe, and dependable and drive the hell out of it!

15. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yup , that's what they're made for - to drive & enjoy .

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Very nice score ! What garage did you find that in that no one drove in Pa ! Doesn't look all rusted out like most do in our state !
    Personally I would get some good fuel and use a gas can and I bet you that flat head will run ! Why not keep the flathead if it runs good. That would be rally sweet car to cruise around in . But I have a 49 & do and neither have the flathead in them either . I do like the fordors a lot . Easy to get onto the back seat and if you have friends riding along with you , you don't have to keep getting out to let people in & out of your car ! It's also a big plus with little ones !

Drive it and enjoy it , nice score !

Retro Jim

17. Nice score man!

18. smarg

smarg

If a dog shit and a brick are the same thing, I guess your right? :D

Shoebox kicks that things ass all day.

19. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

Haha thanks Retro Jim. Yea i picked it up from a young guy out near New Holland, Pa. It has some rust on the floors like i said which i will be replacing, but the body itself and the door shells are are pretty solid. Little surface rust, but no rot there. If the flatty runs good, ill run it for now and plan for a future swap.

20. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

...nice find PipeWelder81!

Keeping it intact with the existing equipment (driveline, etc.) gets my vote. Hammer in and weld some sheetmetal for the floors, and get that flatty to start making some music!

21. billys54

billys54

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Dude , you're nuckin' futs if you don't think they're similar ! That's the way Volvo worked back in the day , taking styling cues from American cars 10 years after - no different with the 122/Amazon . Whatever - makes no difference to me anyways ... I have a Shoebox & I know they kick ass !

The Volvo DOES have it all over the 'Box in at least one respect - it fits into a smaller garage MUCH better ,lol !

23. smarg

smarg

Its all good, just wanted to see what you had to say about it! :rolleyes:

Still looks nothing like a shoebox.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  24. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

no doubt shoebox's are the shit, but that volvo is really cool too! I bet you dont see many of those at the cruise nights! haha! nothin wrong with going outside of the box once in a while ya know?

25. onebadmofo

onebadmofo
    from DFW

man that thing looks like if fonzie tried to rod out a 50's mini. freakin lame dude

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

You chose THAT as your second post ... really ?? Your first post's comment (which is also a thread started by PipeWelder , BTW) stating "keep it real , you rotten bastard" wasn't much better . Talk about "freakin lame dude" ! You won't last long here with that attitude - congrats .

PLUS , I didn't see an intro from ya either , FNG (hint , hint - it's required BEFORE you post)

OK , now that that's outta the way ... back to the subject - a cool daily driver Shoebox ! Sorry about the crap , PipeWelder :cool:

27. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

I like the 5.0 & 5 Spd.! Nice car and nice combo.

28. alexelchingon

alexelchingon

ive always wanted to build a 4 door into a daily driver! congrats! cant wait to see it done

29. My shoebox coupe Im building now will have a 302(carbed)
    the 5-speed will need a s-10 shifter and tail shaft I believe. good luck and enjoy!

30. PipeWelder81

PipeWelder81

im curious about the 302 with the s10 shifter and tailshaft THR1LL3R? What kind of 5 spd are you going to run? Why cant u just run a T-5 for a a Ford? Why the different tailshaft? im not questioning your knowledge, so dont take it the wrong way. Im just trying to learn something, maybe you know something here that i dont!