Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Remembers CARtoons..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, Dec 23, 2003.

1. hotrodwelder

hotrodwelder

That mag was cool!! I still have some with the iron ons in them! My and my buddies used to draw cars to copy Trosley. Back in the good old days, no cell phones, call waiting and nobody was into multi-tasking!

2. AllenK

AllenK

I have a huge collection of CARtoons somewhere @ my parents house. They probably haven't seen daylight in over 20 years. They're probably in a random box too. I loved Krass & Bernie!

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Boy this thread brought back some memories. I read CARtoons from cover to cover, used to get them for 12 cents with my paper route money. Learned to draw slingshot dragsters, coupes etc from that magazine. Drew 'em on whatever I could find, even homework. The teachers were definitely NOT hotrodders! :D Between CArtoons and Mad magazine I believe I was corrupted from an early age. Good memories!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  4. who doesnt remember them and the K&B pad... I think growing up all of my buds agrred we would find an old fire station and have the same living arrangements ...

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Wow! All these years and I never knew Shawn Kerri was a chick.

Another thing, I think Trosley had a crystal ball.:D

my pictures 261.jpg

6. Watch for the Auction in the next few days, dug out a few of mine!

7. Still have mine from 60-61. Never bought them after they went to the big format.

Attached Files:

8. aceuh

aceuh

I always love to see this thread get bumped...

I've noticed George Trosley has been auctioning some original pieces on Ebay recently...none of them are from CARtoons though....;)

9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

10. AllenK

AllenK

Trosley was the man...

11. nexxussian

nexxussian

:confused: Was?

12. My 33 year old nephew just revealed to me that he's had my collection of "CARtoons" that he got from my parents when they moved.

Apparently they thought they were just junk I left at the house and when my nephew was 9 or 10 he was helping them move and asked if he could have them and my parents said "yes"... he also has my complete HO collection!

He never indicated any of this to me until I saw the auction for the CARtoon mags here on the HAMB and asked out loud... "wonder what I did with my stash of CARtoon mags"...!

Ya never know... but I'm glad they're in a happy home!:cool:

13. nagramos

nagramos

CARtoons magazine was a hit also in Brazil. At least for those who could afford or bring the issues from USA. I used to read my cousins...
    That thread brings me a lot of good memories, guys. Thanks a lot!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. toolman1967

toolman1967

I keep telling my 17 yr old about that mag. Wish I had my old ones back. As I remember, the other kids either loved it or just didnt get it.

15. aceuh

aceuh

16. hotrodwelder

hotrodwelder

I have a couple with the iron on's still in them.

17. Geeeyum

Geeeyum
    from Garland Tx

Not only do I remember the "CARtoons" magazines......I used to collect Show Car trading cards & Rat Fink trading cards.
    Jim C.

18. nexxussian

nexxussian

aceuh, what was the caption with the cop looking under the hood?

19. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

I think my dad still has a few copies with the iron ons still in them too, I remember looking at them as a kid

20. aceuh

aceuh

Don't remember... I scanned it ages ago... but I've still got the comic somewhere here....

21. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Cartoons was great when I was growing up. I had my room plastered with pics out of Hot Rod and other mags and I had one "centerfold" out of a Cartoons and I believe it was called "In the pits". Great detail to find all the little things in it - almost like a Where's Waldo type of thing. Good schtuff! :cool:

22. Ratticis

Ratticis

I used to have a big box FULL of them which I got from my dad, but my mom in her infinite wisdom threw it away! :eek: Her logic being "well you've already read them all" :mad:

23. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Stickin Around by Mueller

[​IMG]

Yogi Anyone by WT Vinson

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  24. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I tried to sell a big stack in the classifieds recently, glad they didn't sell. Saw a guy at the Monroe swap meet selling them for $20.oo a piece.

25. aceuh

aceuh

"Asking" and "selling" are two different animals... Which I'm sure you already know... Alot depends on the issue and the condition... I'm not above paying $20 for an issue... IF it's a hard one to come by in really good shape... And I've seen issues go for way more on ebay... But I've bought and sold alot of em for $10... and less... They might not be perfect... But I'm not scared to leave them out where people can pick em up.

CARtoons rock!

26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I know this is an older thread but I am so STOKED. My son gave me six Pete Miller Drag Cartoons C.D.'s and a 1967 reprint of the mag. It's gonna be a nice relaxing loooong day on the couch for me. Good boy, that one!

27. grazy

grazy

I think it was Garage magazine recently had an article about Shawn Kerri and her struggle with addiction the world lost an amazing talent R.I.P.. It also showed alot off her punk rock poster art she had an amazing gift. I had to buy my issues at a small news stand owned by a grouchy old man it was by my junior high school he sold girly magazines and hated young kids coming around had to grab them in and out quick after a few months he finally let up but my buddies waited outside scared to death of him. My art teacher hated my Cartoonish car drawings influenced by their style of drawing with exaggerated warped twisted torque launches and over sized engines she never undestood why I drew that way until I wore in one of my iron-ons to school.

28. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

I enjoyed Hank Hinton's version of Hogg Ryder in Cycletoons. Dennis Ellefson tried to keep that character going, but it was just not the same.

29. corvettejeff

corvettejeff
    from canada

30. aceuh

aceuh