Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. racer5c

racer5c

Brian, thanks for posting all the incredible videos!!! please keep em coming!!!

2. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Pat O'Connor at Langhorne in 1955.
    Jimmy Bryan - Langhorne 1955.
    AJ Foyt - Reading 1961.

Attached Files:

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Perhaps it's just an optical delusion? Gary

Attached Files:

4. Offy 220

Offy 220

Easter,

Thanks for posting the pic of Stephen "Buzz" Gregory. I got to know Buzz when I met him at Ascot in the mid 80's at a vintage meet. He helped us with the Watson/Foyt Bowes Seal Fast sprint car. He was a stooge for Foyt in his teenage years. He got his nickname after "Buzz" Barton - he was known as "Little Buzz."

Personally he was a walking encyclopedia when it came to sprint cars and events. Went back to the Speedway with him in the late 80's - knew and talked to everyone-nobody was a stranger to him. He won the Little 500 at Anderson in '69. Sadly he passed away way too young.

Offy 220

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The red and white car isn't a Edmunds. Thats Hank Arnolds 'Twister'

6. daveww1

daveww1

7. daveww1

daveww1

8. daveww1

daveww1

9. daveww1

daveww1

10. daveww1

daveww1

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Rootie, right. I also thought it was a Nance. Sorry for any confusion. Gary

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe that is correct, when Congdon had it, it was called the 'War Wagon' and I don't see that in that pic.

Attached Files:

13. easter

easter

If my memory is right, at the Little 500 that year, Buzz had run out of fuel and was coasting towards the finish. Dad had slowed down to push him across the line to make sure he had won. When Dad saw Buzz was going to make it, he pulled out to go around him and some guy hit Dad and drove him into the 1st turn catch fence. (Dad said there was a little history between the two from Supermodified days) Dad's leg was caught under the driveshaft and he was on fire. I remember him passing out in the flames, but when he relaxed his leg slipped out and he kind of "melted" down out of the car onto the track. As he stood up in the flames and smoke he stumbled down the banking only to be hit by Bobby Black (his buddy). After downing a bottle of Exedrin and a couple Blatz's, they drug the car onto the trailer because Dad had to be at work back in Ohio at 6:00 the next morning. The Sheriff's office from home were there to watch the race and got fuel splashed on them from the wreck. A photo of that wreck was in some promotional book called: "Only Seconds to Live". That's not a book you want your picture to be in.

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The simple matter of fact is that you can only build a upright car with a centered drive line just so low. You're either going to have you're head sticking out the cage or a torque tube up your ass. I'd venture to say the vast majority of caged sprints and supers built are within a few inches of each other in o/a height.

15. [​IMG]

16. I have more, pm me and I'll send you the nance plans.

17. Scott Carson in a Nance-OkC 1970's

[​IMG]

18. true dat, but there is another thing we have to consider

the Twister was/is 90" wheelbase, while the brown #11 nance is 100" wheelbase. That along with the Nance tail section makes it "look" lower.

I know of 2 or 3 people wanting to sell new frames as we speak.

19. easter

easter

Was the nickname "Buzz" just a '60's and '70's thing in Sprint Cars? Buzz Barton, Buzz Gregory, Buzz Rose all drove IMCA at the same time. And you're right Offy, too many are gone too soon. Can you imagine the excitement these old drivers, owners, and crews would have if they could see this thread? They are not forgotten - and somehow I bet they know it.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Roger... will do and thanx, Gary.

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

They have comparison photos on their website showing how great their tubing is. That's what got me wondering about them. They also show tubing being bent, and are very careful to show only the hands of the slave doing the work. The only way we can stop this is to not support them. These suits make me sick. Good thing all this old stuff is all American.

22. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

No senior moment there, the Traylor #55 was also driven by Keller (when it was still #4). :)

23. racer5c

racer5c

awwe come on they must be ok I mean the Chinese are well known for their quality products such as Chinese bearings, and pet food, clothing with lead, toys with lead, Chinese-supplied wheat and rice gluten that had been adulterated with melamine, Baby cribs that collapse, tooth paste, and on and on. I mean it's only a sprint car frame what could happen?

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I dunno, their version of the AK-47 seemed to work pretty darn good, while I was trying to un-jam my M-16.:D

25. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

What are you guys using to glue the brake pucks to the caliper pistons? The airheart papers say to use 3m trim adhesive. Is that still the best thing?

Thanks,

26. Offy 220

Offy 220

Great comment concerning these old drivers and boxes they drove! Funny you mention the name "Buzz." I am not sure why that nickname was popular but "everyone" knew Stephen by that name.

I was with him at the Long Beach Grand Prix a few years in a row, Buzz was "holding Court" as he would say and the Mayor was addressing him as "Buzz."

The only person, there may be others, I knew who called him by "Stephen" was his mother. She called me the day after he passed away and told me that I was one of his friends who "would put up with him" and would listen to his racing stories. I wish I had recorded some of the things he would say - he was a character to say the least!

I agree, too bad some of these "greats" are not around to enjoy these pics and comments concerning them and the time in which they lived. One other comment about "Buzz" - He always said AJ and Jimmy Bryan were his heros.

Offy 220

27. Offy 220

Offy 220

Easter,

Interesting story about your dad and Buzz! He told me ran out of fuel but I didn't know the whole story. I was back at Anderson with him at the Little 500 in '89 - twenty years after he won the race. He was doing the announcing and "carrying on" before and after the race. Thanks for the information regarding your dad and him.

Offy 220

28. baldtireman

baldtireman

Is this a "Trevis" built car? John S.:D

29. easter

easter

Sure looks like one to me. I love old Trevis cars.

30. Pat O Connor is in the #11 roadster.