Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Buildy

Buildy

"I tried Ken Coles' site but his family(or whomever runs the site) is charging $25 for an 8x10. Does this sound absurd or am I just cheap?"

Wow,the going price for an 8x10 is around 10 bucks.

25? Ouch.

2. Offy 220

Offy 220

Dave,

I enjoy your restoration pictures, but I am having a difficult time leaving this pic - a shop full of Offy blocks, cranks and crankcases. Great pic!

Offy 220

3. Rodger Ward and AJ Foyt battle for illinois

4. The Sedalia mile and USAC-1974

5. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Hello, Well seeing the photo of the badger’s. I just wanted to let every one know I am still looking to by photos of the car I have. Red #69 Lockard badger 1 from1975 to 1976. It was sold to Tezak became A white #99 Jim Gates drove it for him most of the time. Then my father got it off tezak became red#80. If anyone has photos ([email protected]) or pm me. Thanks, Tom

Attached Files:

6. baldtireman

baldtireman

Did this car have a history before it was Bronze/white#54 Howells Transportation owned? I remember a #54 Dark Teal colored caged Trevis car showing up at Greater Pittsburgh Speedway for a special show,driven by Larry Dickson(he did not use his own name,as he was racing with either USAC or URC as a registered driver). The car and crew were so well turned out( neat,clean.all white uniforms,chrome,etc.,that they won "Best Appearing" that nite! So much for "incognito". Is this the same car?:confused:

7. easter

easter

I could well be. When Dad raced at Parkersburg in the mid 60's, Bob Howell would occassionally bring a Trevis car - I've always assumed it was this one - but it was painted dark blue. Bob Howell was always very neat and clean with everything he did. Larry Dickson was a regular at Parkersburg earlier in his career and at this time Tommy and Paul Dickson were still regulars. I think Buzz Gregory drove this car a couple times. It went from Dark Blue (Teal?) to Red and White to White and Red. The first sprint car I every saw was Larry Dickson driving the Long Brothers Orange and White #55. As a kid, I knew those long skinny cars were hard to beat with a square Super. I know Dad drove this car in Penn at a number of tracks, but it had already been painted red.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sorry for the dupe OT post (I asked on the modified thread but no joy so far)... perhaps one of you guys have an idea on where to get plans for the "Nance" style super modified coupes that were once popular in the midwest?

Thanx, Gary

9. easter

easter

Here's a photo of Buzz Gregory in the Howell #54 at Oswego. I took this photo from indianaopenwheel.com - a picture taken by Rich Edwards.

[​IMG]

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don't know about Nance but Don Edmunds will sell you plans for his old supers.

http://donedmunds.com/

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx, Rootie! I suppose they were very similar, eh? Gary

12. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Yeah, they were all pretty similar, CAE, Edmunds, Tognottis etc.

Attached Files:

• smf.jpg
      smf.jpg
      File size:
      335.3 KB
      Views:
  14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

From the photos I've seen, for some reason the Nance cars looked like they were lower. The Edmunds cars always looked a little butt high for my tastes. Gary

15. wynns #1

wynns #1

Mlight9,
    That car is the Bauer 75. Perhaps the tail was repaired and the 7 was covered up.

Baldtireman,
    Thanks for the kind words.

I said in my previous post that the Traylor 55 was driven by Al Keller but I meant Van Johnson (senior moment)

16. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey guys, Does anybody have color photos of the Venezia-Neslers black and yellow #5 sprint car,Have a friend building a model of the car and is looking for reference shots for detail.He said Courtwright and Dickson were two of the drivers.........THANKS,Rich

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Not sure what you mean but a Edmunds can sit pretty low.

Attached Files:

• e-sm.jpg
      e-sm.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
  18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

19. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

THANK YOU, Rootie.....

20. Lumpy95

Lumpy95

Sim Clark 1938
    Troy, N.Y. (I think)

Attached Files:

21. baldtireman

baldtireman

Who is in the roadster-what car is it?:confused: I love roadsters!:rolleyes:

22. baldtireman

baldtireman

Saw Van Johnson drive the Lowther #77 midget as a child-he was very good. Jake Vargo's old box took 3 very good drivers in a short period of time. Dick Linder was my childhood hero-geees,was he Smoothhhh!!!

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The #18 ? Thats Gary Congdon, in the ex- Weld 'Chenoweth' car, same one as in Atlanta.

24. easter

easter

Quick story: The first time my dad was at Winchester he saw Johnny White. Johnny was already hurt and was in the back of a station wagon he traveled in - I believe with a Nun. They had Johnny propped up so he could see the cars going by. Dad leaned in and asked him: "How do you get around this place?" Johnny said: "When you get into the turn, stick your right arm out to the side with your thumb pointed down. Your thumbnail should be rubbing the outside edge on your tire and the pad of your thumb should be rubbing against the fence."

25. Speaking of the old style Supermodifieds, Lee Salmons raced in the Kansas, Oklahoma area in the 50s and 60s. He moved to Utah in 1969 and went on to be a flagman at Suntana Raceway in Springville, Utah for many years. He never raced again after moving to Utah. When Lee moved to Utah he was in the process of building a new car. He brought it with him and never did assemble it. It is an Edmunds copy chassis ( I believe the chassis was built in Kansas ) and all the body pieces. It is a Spring front, and torsion rear. He also has much of the running gear to assemble the car. Lee is in his 80s now and has talked about selling this. Gary, if you are interested in talking with him pm me and I can give you his contact info.
    Lonnie

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yeah.. Sucks, but with Tracks paying $1200 to WIN weekly programs, You'll have that. They are Very low priced. I'm not wild about them, but I've heard of guys keeping one around for an Emergency Back up.. I guess I'd rather see a FULL field with a few China built Chassis than a 12 car field for an A-Main. :rolleyes:

27. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Heard of any issues ? Or are there materials up to par ?
    4130 might have a different translation over there....

28. baldtireman

baldtireman

Heck........We just had a track present a 305 division here in western Pennsylvania that will pay $285 to win,18 or less cars;and it cost you $100 to tech your motor;and nobody complained about the purse. On the XXX repairability,a friend who repairs says that they "weld funny" and he is afraid of what the material might be. I suggested he save a "cuttout" and send it it a testing/certification facility for a checkout. John:confused:

29. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

The legend says Al Smith at the Hoosier 100 in 1969.

Attached Files:

30. MarioFanKri

MarioFanKri
    from France

Attached Files:

• 081.jpg
      081.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011