Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Brotherhood of the HAMB !,... And the entire HAMB Family !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Over the years I have belonged to several organizations, clubs, associations you name it,... But nothing has ever compared to my involvement with the HAMB !,....

The interests in the hot rod world are wide and diversified,.. But here on the Jalopy Journal and the HAMB,...Our interests center around Traditional Hot Rods,.. And for a lot of us it's to recapture the sights, sounds and feelings of the early days of Hot Rods,... Like I have said before, like a time machine,.. These cars take us back in time,... and for the younger crowd, "they can take you back to a place you've never been before"
    ( a little John Denver lingo there,...:cool:)

Sometimes we don't get along,... like family members,.. But like it or not, we are all kindred spirits,... there is a nucleus thats brings all together, to this place in cyberspace where we all feel at home,.. (to one degree or another :D) Traditional Hot Rods,... And Hot Rodding, Something not everybody "gets" or understands. To share in each others triumphs, joys,.. tragedy's and heartaches,.... Again,.. not unlike a family.

I count every one of you as special to me,.. But I have had a number of opportunities to get to know a few of you as close friends,... I truly hope this is not a isolated situation,.. and really hope this scenario replays itself all over the HAMB world,....

One of my HAMB Brothers is fab32,... I don't know how many of you know Frank personally,.. But he is a very talented welder, fabricator, story teller, World class Hot Rod guy,... and a very good friend. (But on road trips,... when he falls asleep in the passenger seat,... he'll brake loose with a snore that will scare the living daylights out of you !:eek: ,...:D)

I went to visit ol' Frank today,... to drop off some books and some car parts,... (well,..ok, forgot the books,.... ) Anyway,... When I get there , His lovely Wife comes to the door, and lets me in,... Frank comes out with his contagious smile,... and says,.. "I want to show you something".

He said,.. when he had found out I had finally took possession of my shop (A 1937 Mobil gas station),.. He wanted to do something for me,.. like a "shop warming present" ,..... so he came up with this idea,....

When he uncovered this,... I couldn't believe it,... you could have knocked me over with a feather,.... Frank made this sign for me, that will be proudly displayed at the shop. It's one thing to buy something for someone,... but when you make something for a friend,... there is part of that person in it.

As we were talking a couple more HAMB pals knocked on the door (George & Lynn),.. and we had a really good time,.....

So,.... here is my question,... Has your involvement in the HAMB cultivated any really good friendships? How has the HAMB affected your life in a good way? Who are your HAMB Brothers and Sisters ?

One last thing,.... Thank you Ryan, this place means more than you know, to more folks than you can imagine.

[​IMG]

2. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Very Cool!

This crazy place has helped me make new friendships & reconnect old ones too.

People @ work think that I'm nuts because I don't have a TV, because sites like this replaced the boob-tube years ago.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. I've met a few people, no one I'd call good friends yet. Hoping to make some friends with time. there's not to many Hambers in my area. I definately need more car guy friends though...I'm getting sick of watching football and golfing! hahaha The LSR has a Hamb meet and Greet right?

4. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Real cool sign. I belong to three boards---spend very little time on the other two. I have gotten lots of help on the '40 from several HAMBers -- Marty.

5. no man is a failure...that has friends

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Frank is great guy, I always look forward to running into him at car events. Congrats on your new shop and the good lookin sign.

7. big bad john

big bad john

........Cool sign.....I've made a lot of friends from the HAMB network....more so in my area in Wisconsin....When to Kool Deadwood Nights last year....met more because of HAMB.....this is a really a cool place......

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

How cool.
    Frank,
    You are a first class guy!
    Rick

9. First of all - What Frank did is awesome and it's cool you appreciate it!

Second of all - the Hamb is pretty much responsible for me having all my best buddies and combining my social entertainment with my car hobby.

It blows my mind when I sit back and think about all of the people I have met in the last 8 years just because of the HAMB

I've even received a kind PM from Frank - once

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  10. Deuce Roadster,who I have know for many years, introduced me to the Hamb

I have been fortunate enough to meet quiet a few Hamber's since I joined and the friendships are far more rewarding than I could ever imagine.

I have friends here that I may never meet that have gone out of their way to help me with a part and refuse payment of any kind,,usually a pay it forward deal.

The guys that know me,,know I am one of those Deuce nuts,an personally I don't think there's anything wrong with that but some Hamb family members don't feel the same way I do,,that's OK,,as you said,,it's like a big dysfunctional family.

BTW,, I think Frank is pretty darn cool myself!:D HRP

11. Frank's definately one of the good ones!

It was also great to meet you Dennis. It was great chatting with you this summer at the Midland Antique Festival. I look forward to running into you again soon.

X2 on the great folks on the HAMB. This place rocks. My wife says I'm addicted - and as usual, SHE'S RIGHT!!!

12. 31whitey

31whitey

Very well put...a good read... thanks!...

Its allowed for a shared connection with others...a bond.

That when looked back upon... seems based on, somewhat of our obsession, to educate ourselves on the people, places, periods, and parts... the things that set the tone for traditional hotrods and customs and how the people enjoyed them.

You realize just how much crazy time and at what lengths you and some others have gone through to learn this ... and how few there are around.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  13. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story, friends are the best.

14. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I have met alot of people here on the HAMB. I spend more time on this site than others I am on as well. Some times you have to be thick skined. I enjoy the post there are some realy grate post here and alot of information. I realy like if you need help with something you can post a question and get some sort of responce on it. I have just got involved in helping Chevylow here on one of his projects. Wiil and David are two realy cool guys. The power of HAMB....

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

been dippin' into the cooking sherry again and getting all misty on us?

frank who? :)

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

If GOD made anything better then the H.A.M.B. he would have kept it .
    THANXZ A TON RYAN
    nice sign.

17. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I think you nailed it Harmsway. We get on here for the cars and end up with some great friendships.
    And that sign is really cool.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

There are so many great people here, I just can't pick one as a best friend, you all make the HAMB a great place to visit. We all love Hot Rods, but we love history in general, look at all the vintage photos we post. Than you Ryan for giving us a place to share out passion. Bob

19. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

This is an awesome entity,isn't it?
    The friends I've met and the things I've learned is such a great thing!
    The vendors have treated me so well,even though I'm not (yet) an Alliance member and the positive nature of the members I've communicated with has been A+
    "You people" are great!

20. Topper

Topper

I don't know either one of you but you are both fortunate to have each other as friends. A friend of mine showed up at my garage years ago with a clock made from an ole flat motor head. Not an original idea but money would not buy that clock. I'm new here but I already feel I'm in the right place.

21. Harms Way

Harms Way

Nah,... But my wife brought home the DVD "Marley and Me",... And made me watch it with her,... ever sence then, I've been giving our old Yellow Lab "Tyson" extra treats,.. then holding his front paws looking into his big brown dopey eyes and singing "Memories",....:eek:,....:eek::D:D:D (Well not really,...)

But I'm glad you posted this Larry,... YOU JACK WAGON !:D (this was meant in luv to another HAMB Bro.) Seriously, We have never met in person,.. and yet I consider you a friend,... You have a odd and quirky sence of humor, and sometimes you make really bad decisions,... It's like we went to different schools together !

Someone else that comes to mind is our own hotrodladycrusr,.. Denise,.. She must be the unofficial International HAMB Hostess,... She always makes you feel at ease,.. She also really cares about all you knuckle heads,.... she supports the HAMB,... and she gives great hugs ! If you can get her to hug you, and get her to laugh at the same time !!! OH MAMA!:D

I am a very fortunate man,.. in the fact that I feel I have made many friendships here on the HAMB,... Some of you, I will probably never meet in person,... But I still count you as friends,... Like Doc Watson.

Posts on this thread have come from several of my HAMB pals,.... you know,.. part of the Family,....

Now,.... Wheres that cooking sherry ?,... Tyson and I are going to start working on a spirited rendition of Kum Ba Yah !:D:D:D

22. Well said Harms way I also am thankful for the HAMB family.Thru this site I was able to meet some great KY HAMBERS by attending there BBQ in July of 2009,the Rod Kings.Little did I know that great tradegy would hit my family an myself later that year an if it were not for my best buddy Stan fuel10922,Hot Rod Bob,Buddy Fast Fish,an my other Rod King brothers I really don't think I would be here today.Also I was able to become good friends with Nick aka Malcolm an buy his Galaxie as my daily driver,also meeting an doing business with Jeff Norwell we all know he is a great guy an awesome artist but I will tell you personally he has a great heart an I consider him a great friend Thanks Jeff.Meeting an doing buisness with Jillian an Kevin Silva Im so thankful great folks an when you guys get to KY I owe you dinner.The HAMB means alot to alot of people Thanks Ryan!!

23. Some of the people I consider to be my closest personal friends I met through the HAMB. There is no way to gauge how much I have learned and gained from this place.

24. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Smoothing out a deal right now,I sold a carb and intake to the wagonman63 ,Fed ex busted the carb up and I bought a newbaseplate for him ,Hoping fed ex pays Regardless he gets the baseplate............,Anyway he s building a stainless fuel rail and he offered to build me one for free, Thats the power of the Hamb ,So many great people ..............I just hope one day to meet most of the people Ive talked to on here ,I doubt it ,But Its a good thought .

25. This is a great place, met some good people, and hope to meet more sometime!

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Back when I was growing up -- before hippies, the British Invasion, Vietnam, drug wars and REAL change -- young guys with hot cars were considered a genuine public menace, brainless and irresponsible. Public perception and societal priorities can be amusing, especially in retrospect after nearly 50 years!

As HarmsWay, JalopyJim and 37Kid have stated well: The HAMB is PROOF that hotrodders, custom guys and general car nuts not only have brains but responsibility, passion, and a deep interest in staying connected with traditions -- not just the cars but the interesting, inspiring people and the tapestry of the historic times in which our beloved cars, trucks, etc., were born and grew up. HAMBers are "deeper" than any casual observer might think. Sure we like things that go fast, look sharp and make loads of noise and smoke, but we also care about things like technology, metalurgy, culture and pioneers -- everybody from Henry Ford and Barney Oldfield to Norm Grabowski, George Barris and Edd Kooky Byrnes, ya know?

Before I eased into the HAMB, I'd avoided so-called "chat room" formats like the plague, 'cause I thought it was all air-headed, foul-mouthed, pointless shit (ooops!). The HAMB is a breath of fresh air! Generosity, friendship, honesty, knowledge like this are an ultra-rare package in today's me-first, in-your-face society. Though I always loved cars, I have gotten a college education in my two years on the HAMB. Guys -- and girls -- willingly share advice gained from years of experience -- for FREE. Where else can you get something of real value free nowadays? When folks are down or in genuine need, other HAMBers give words of support, parts or literally a helping hand. When I was stuck with a '38 I had to move soon or lose, a HAMB brother GAVE me an old-style hub puller to free up frozen hubs -- for FREE. I've seen HAMBers give tech build advice and help each other find project cars or scarce parts, while some super-talented HAMB PhotoShoppers (we all know who they are!) provide FREE ideas, so guys can know what's best for their ride before spending serious money. It goes on and on.

THANKS, Ryan, the moderators and the whole HAMB Family! Bring on that cooking sherry. Let's toast the HAMB!

27. pitman

pitman

This place is part "Bar scene from Star Wars". and then (permit me) wax-on, wax-off Karate Kid times, w/many of us learning from our gang-who-know, how to fit all this stuff together! All good brothers..and sisters here.

28. First, a big thanks to Ryan and all who help to put this together! Brotherhood is the key word to begin the thread. There is a silent creed here that you learn as you gain friends, alliances, trusts. It is just incredible the amount of help, humor, debates, knowledge to be taken in. It is a great feeling to be able to contact someone in another state or country and trust them to look at something or pick up a part you have bought,(thanks Ruftoy.) I was really blown away when I needed a part for my 40 Ford and a gentleman said I will send it to you free, no shipping,do not worry about it he said, just do something for someone else, pass it on. Since then I try to help all that I can! The response, support, and sympathy when someone passes is overwhelming and comforting. We are blessed to have such a great hobby, part of Americana. Cheers to all Hambers who do what I call ,"The Hamb Jive"!

29. I've met lot's of great people and made a lot of good friends because of the HAMB.
    It's pretty remarkable. We all pretty much speak the same language. I've met people at events that I've chatted to on the HAMB and with in a minute or two, friendship.
    That's become one of the better things about belonging to this family. All the great cars and information are just icing on the cake.