Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigsur

bigsur
    from Scotland

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

As well, look at the sign over the front and it appears to be the "White Front Filling Station". I don't think John Fox has anything to do with it but may be be a car salesman for the company on the billboard?.

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

SixDogs, you and I think alike. I've learned to appreciate a lot in life NOW by having known older folks and/or read their letters. :eek: I feel sorry for anyone who ignores the oral or written (& photographed) history that came before. The humble writings of common folk and even snapshot pix of life in past decades are as close to a Time Machine as we can get. :cool: Even Carl Sagan said (billions & BILLIONS of years ago:D), the writings and paintings from thousands of years ago are as if the dead are talking to us across literally centuries. We need to listen, 'cause THEY are the ones who actually SAW things we now can only IMAGINE.

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

This car is killing me. At first, I thought it was an Apperson, between '20 and '25. Then I thought ReVere or EVEN the ripped off Richelieu or the legit derivative Barbarino. ANY HELP, folks?

[​IMG]

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

ReVere, built in Indiana for Alphonso, king of Spain

6. NewportNic

NewportNic

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  7. NewportNic

NewportNic

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I gotta say, the Ruskies built some damn intimidating machinery, thanks for posting those.

Did they have an operational commercial SST?

9. v8nutter

v8nutter

Those woodies called estate cars at the time usually on 600x16 tyres, were fairly common round here until the early sixties. My late father in law owned one. One morning it would not start so he sold it to a passer by for thirty bob £1.50.

10. The Tu-144 was operational, but not for long! See photo. Not a sucessful airplane, and the market dried up anyway.

[​IMG]

11. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Withdrawn in 1977 after 55 commercial flights due to ....'saftey issues'

12. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

13. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

14. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

So they did have one.

16. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

"safety issues" = Coming in sudden and violent impact with the ground.

17. The prototype crashed at the Paris Air Show ( THE show for aircraft!), in front of the entire International aviation community. This didn't exactly result in a flood of orders for the plane.
    From Wikipedia:
    Paris Air Show crash
    Main article: 1973 Paris Air Show crash
    At the Paris Air Show on 3 June 1973, the development program of the Tu-144 suffered severely when the first Tu-144S production airliner (reg 77102) crashed.<SUP id=cite_ref-6 class=reference>[7]</SUP>
    While in the air, the Tu-144 underwent a violent downwards maneuver. Trying to pull out of the subsequent dive, the Tu-144 broke up and crashed, destroying 15 houses and killing all six people on board the Tu-144 and eight more on the ground.
    The causes of this incident remain controversial. A popular theory was that the Tu-144 tried to avoid a French Mirage chase plane that was attempting to photograph its canards, which were very advanced for the time, and that the French and Soviet governments colluded with each other to cover up such details. The flight of the Mirage was denied in the original French report of the incident, perhaps because it was engaged in industrial espionage. More recent reports have admitted the existence of the Mirage (and the fact that the Russian crew were not told about the Mirage's flight) though not its role in the crash. The official press release did state: "though the inquiry established that there was no real risk of collision between the two aircraft, the Soviet pilot was likely to have been surprised."<SUP id=cite_ref-7 class=reference>[8]</SUP> Howard Moon stresses that last-minute changes to the flight schedule would have disoriented the pilots in a cockpit with notable poor vision. He cites an eyewitness who claims the co-pilot had agreed to take a camera with him, which he may have been operating at the time of the evasive maneuver.

18. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

The "Hokey Pokey" was a group dance craze in the '50's. While everyone was able to join, the hot rod and JD types were not really welcome--unless you were a "Fonzie" type. It seemed the best babes liked the dance but guys didn't. That's why the photo is all women.

I cut and pasted the below from the net...

(You do the)... Hokey Pokey by forming a big circle and doing what the lyrics said to do:

You put your right foot in (we'd stick our right feet out into the cirle),
    You put your right foot out (we'd pull our feet back);
    You put your right foot in (we'd stick our feet back in),
    And you shake it all about (we'd shake or wiggle our feet).
    You do the Hokey-Pokey (we'd pull oour feet back out and get ready to...),
    And you turn yourself around (...turn around in place.).
    That's what it's all about!

While doing this, you raise your hands and waggle them with your fingers spread.
    The verses follow the same sequence for different parts of the body, and end with "your whole self."

[​IMG]

19. SeaMountain

SeaMountain

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OF3zGCra1e4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

20. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

21. Except that looks like the Bunny Hop.;) Used to watch the girls do the Hokey Pokey at the skating rink...

22. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

I thougnt that too but it came from a hokey pokey site.

23. Maybe they did it differently in that part of the world (when not on wheels?). IIRC, we used to do it in a big circle.

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Tupolev's (TU) commercial aircraft are informally know as crowd killers. If someone wants to book you on one, rent a car, take a train or walk instead. I think TU is also Russian slang for All Dead. LOL if it wasn't true. Gary

25. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

26. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

27. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

28. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast