Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Rootie,
    The Traylor car in the photo is the 55 car that Al Keller drove a lot. It has since been repainted red as it raced in the 50s and is in a collection in N.H. with the #9 Traylor (ex Lowther) car. The Wally champ car is the Vita Fresh car.

2. wynns #1

wynns #1

Rootie,
    Forgot to mention that the 55 car is easy to identify because it was the only Traylor car with internal, parallel torsion bars in the rear.

3. easter

easter

Howell Transportation #54 Driven by Luke Easter
    [​IMG]

4. easter

easter

5. easter

easter

6. easter

easter

Mark Warner painting the wing while traveling in Pennsylvania - 1967.
    [​IMG]

7. easter

easter

8. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Does anyone know where I can purchase high quality USAC Sprint photos from the 60's? I tried Ken Coles' site but his family(or whomever runs the site) is charging $25 for an 8x10. Does this sound absurd or am I just cheap?

9. easter

easter

Greenfield Galleries (through ebay) had a bunch of sprint car photos:USAC and IMCA. You can call and ask for Ralph and he may be able to help you in person. He was very nice to deal with.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks wynns, good to know.

11. easter

easter

Dad bought this car around 1964/1965 in Akron, Ohio and it was old then. Can any of you real sprint car guys out there (thats not me) venture any guesses about this car? Period of construction? Style of popular builder or homemade? Anything would be great. Thanks.

[​IMG]

12. Dick L

Dick L

I don't know if this is the place to bring this up. I found my collection of Open Wheel and Circle Track mags from the 80's and into the 90's along with some other publications. Any ideas of how I could sell them? I also have a lot of pictures from all over the place that I am going to download soon. Any help would be appreciated.

13. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Just found Gene Crucean's site.:D

14. easter

easter

I did a search for Gene Crucean and just finished reading "Hills of Death". I've been to Dayton a couple of times and it was just evil. My dad set fast time at Dayton once and won an IMCA heat race at Winchester. No wonder he was so ill tempered. Thanks for pointing out the site.

15. easter

easter

When Dad set fast time at Dayton it was in Bob Howell's #64 that Dean Mast usually drove. It was, and is again, the Vivian Buick. I guess it knew it's way around Dayton just fine. He had a cage on that day - a supermodified show in '67 or '68. They were pretty much all sprints with cages with 1 or 2 roadsters.

16. gtxrider

gtxrider

Here is a picture of the car with Lenny Boyd driving and Bob Cicconi in the Scrivani car at Seekonk in 1980

Attached Files:

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bob, do you have any pics of it without the bodywork? Probably the best way to date a car would by the suspension/frame. Looking at this pic you posted earlier it sits pretty high up, which would make me think it may have been built in the early/mid 50s, maybe with a cross spring rear. (?)

Attached Files:

18. easter

easter

I don't think I have any photos without the body. However, I'll keep looking. Here's the only other one I have that's different than those already posted.

[​IMG]

19. greenfieldkid

greenfieldkid

Rich Imlay sells photos of old USAC Sprints and midgets taken by his dad, Walt. I believe his EBay selling name is imlaypics. If you go to EBay and do a seller search you should find him and his stuff or at least be able to contact him to let him know what you are looking for. I bought some photos off him and they are all real nice.

20. racer5c

racer5c

Ha thanks! I will show J.C.

21. racer5c

racer5c

Gene Crucean and or John Mahoney

http://www.crucean.com/scp.html

also Jimmy Dawson Photos
    5901 S. US Highway 35
    Muncie Indiana 47302

22. daveww1

daveww1

23. daveww1

daveww1

24. daveww1

daveww1

25. daveww1

daveww1

26. daveww1

daveww1

How's this for a parts room?
    [​IMG]

27. sideways27

sideways27

Sorry I did not respond sooner but I wanted to talk to Dave Norris about this car. Dave told me that he built the car for Paul Mead and he also drove it. It was powered by a 312 Ford with 3-2’s. The photo was taken I believe in 1957.
    The car I have was built in 1958 by Sonny Beck #7 and sold to Paul Mead in 1960 #47. Dave and Paul were good friends and they went to Sonny’s house to purchase the car in 60Dave made a few changes to the car and when they took it to the track the car did very well and as the story goes, Sonny wanted to buy it back. I enjoy talking to Dave as he nice guy who is very humble when it comes to his own driving abilities; he gives the driving credits to his son and speaks little of himself. I have done some research on Dave and he was a good driver with a lot of guts. He raced at all the midwest tracks (The Hills) and a lot more with all the best sprint car drivers in the 50’s and 60’s.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just found out XXX sprint car chassis are made in China. Very disapointed. Just saying.

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Oooo...K, I'll bite, whats a XXX sprint car chassis ? :confused:

30. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

XXX does have the option of getting a chassis assembled in Washington state I believe.