Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why would someone let this rust away?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50 weight, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

I thought when talking to these "owners" you always started the conversation with "Hey, I saw your old car sitting there and was wondering if you'd be interested in BUYing some parts for it?"

2. chickenshift

chickenshift

yeah there you go, offer the cash to the fellas wife. I bet he dont tell her no. He wouldnt be gettin any ass or dinner for months.

3. skyrodder

skyrodder

that ruined my day! gonna go throw up now, what kind of person would leave such a car in the elements!

4. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

what a shame and a waste, probably keeps it there just because he can,ha maybe hes got another 10 round the back and sacrificing one makes the others worth more:rolleyes:

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

I can only imagine what that looked like 20 years ago!! The east coast is brutal on sheet metal & I'm sure that poor guy's gettin' a bit thin. ARRRGHH!

6. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Good way to get killed

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

If he doesn't do something proper with it, I bet it will get stolen by somebody at some point. Hopefully not just some meth head scrap thieves. But that will be the most likely situation. Might want to go warn the local scrap yards if they see anything like that that you have some serious cash for them. Might at least keep it from getting crushed some day.

8. This is why the price of '32's is through the roof. Why would you start at $12-15k? :confused:

9. White Trash Renegade

White Trash Renegade
    from Derby, KS

This is why some of us younger guys can't afford to get into this hobby.

10. jick

jick
    from london

well...the dude has already asked and he doesnt want to sell...maybe due to getting bored to death of people making lowball offers.....so if it was me and i really wanted the car id make him an offer thats hard to refuse....also a fair offer i might add.....why try and cheat the guy?
    there's a hell of a lot more to the high prices of 32 than people paying the going rate.

11. I don't know if it has been mentioned but offer to replace it with something less desirable, like a Dodge body, Essex, etc. If he just wants yard art I doubt he would care what exactly it is. It is worth a shot. Just my two cents.

12. I agree with ROCKYFARMER! I have bought a handful of cars that way!

I also heard of a guy that had a great deal of success buying the "un-buyable" cars... He signed a written contract that he would offer to sell them their own car back when he was done with it before advertising it to the general public. They of course had to pony up the extra $$$ that it took to restore it, parts, paint & body work, etc. but he said that he had really good luck getting otherwise stationary cars moving again. Several people just asked for rides in the car when it was done and after they had re-lived their memory they said "Thanks, that was fun. Go ahead and sell it to someone else!" and were perfectly happy.

13. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Maybe hes building a rat rod. Hes wainting for patina :D

14. Who would want that POS, it doesn't even have a firewall? :eek:

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hit the nail squarely on the head...

16. rusty28a

rusty28a

Have you tried..."I love you man"!?

17. dawford

dawford

I would talk to your neighbor to find out what he is most pashionate about.

Motorcycles, boats, guns etc. and see if he would trade for something.

Some other things that might play into this equation.

It might be that he doesn't like you very much or he doesn't want to see the the body restored and then be reminded every time he sees it that he could have done it himself if her weren't so lazy.

So you might have a trusted friend make a good offer on the car.

If you get it that way and he doesn't like you then you will be rubbing it in his face and that would just be too bad for words.

If he is one who doesn't want to be reminded about how lazy he is it might be a good lesson for him, but he is probably to lazy to learn anything anyway.

Some people just want to have something that you want. It makes them feel equal or even superior to you.

Stealth working thru a Trusted friend might work. You note I capitalized Trusted.

Can I be your friend ? :D :D :D

Dick :) :) :)

18. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Got a guy in the next town over that has a good 1/2 acre of old cars, trucks and tractors that were rotting away, won't sell a one "Gonna restore em" The only plus is that the county stepped in a few years ago and made him build a huge barn to cover the eye sore since it is in view of the highway, but as he adds to his collection and the barn is full they are starting to stack up outside of the barn. Have not a clue what makes these people tick.

19. sounds like he doesn't know what he's got! go find some rusty beat up ravine car-swap them out! See if he notices any difference

20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

X2's

21. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

Buy him a nice shinny new fiberglass '32 3 window body for trade and explain to him how much work you just saved him, hell buy him the chassis to go with it.

22. Deuces

Deuces

That's what you call "the doghouse treatment"...

23. lasctchance

lasctchance
    from Oakley, ca

24. Maybe if you waved the $10,000-$15,000 the thing is worth at him, he'd sell it.

Edit: Or maybe not - not everyone is starving.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  25. dannronn

dannronn
    from Tacoma Wa.

He is doing what he wanted to do in the first place, pissin you off, lol. And alot of other people too.

26. Blind Elwood

Blind Elwood

It's just a ugly 32 Ford, I'd report him for a codes violation.

27. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Well, that just about ruined my day...

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

It looks like it was placed there for yard art. Last year I was selling stuff at a swap and I couldn't believe that at LEAST 8 people wanted to buy my tin for yard art.

Well, different strokes for different folks! Funny thing is, he's sitting on 5 grand - easy.

29. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Probably true...There`s an older fellow who lives near me, Who drags out his `33 Ford 5-window shell in similar condition every year around Halloween. He chains it to a tree and puts pumpkin-headed ghouls inside. Nov. 1 it goes back behind the shed. Pisses off everyone I know.

30. williebill

williebill

Nothing constructive to add to this thread,as usual,but...damn.
    My garage is full...if I could buy that,it'd go in the living room for now..I'd knock down walls if I had to,just to get it inside out of the weather