Register now to get rid of these ads!

small block chevy? I can't trace the suffix code

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost28, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Larry T

Larry T

2. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Small block Chevy engines feature three different size pads at the front of the right side cylinder bank for stamping of the engine ID number. Late model blocks use the smallest pad (1). Early engines use the middle size pad (2). Blocks from the 60's and 70's use the largest pad (3).

Attached Files:

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

Good to know Thanks

4. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Yes,
    and the block casting last 3 digits on a 2 bolt 400 is 509,
    it is on the sides of the block,
    so you if you can see the sides of the block, like under the exh mani's
    you will see the last 3 nbrs of the casting ,,
    i think it is on the front and rear of the block also

5. Bill Bard

Bill Bard

You're right Rat, the 4 bolt main blocks have 3 frost plugs and the 2 bolt have 2 plugs. I have '72 4 bolt going into a street rod/gasser my son and I are building.
    Bill

6. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I believe that the 400 blocks with just two freeze still have a raised cast area where the third freeze plug would have gone, between the other two plugs.

7. RandyDowdy

RandyDowdy
    from NC

You are not alone my friend! Your V0529 should be a block from the Flint plant, May 29. I have one as well. V0808FLC . No doubt, FLC. On the rear of the block is a 5.7L stamping. 350. Mine has the tiny engine code block, and under the V0808FLC is CFS199528 in "squiggly", slanted writing. Mine is a 4bm. My heads have 3 up and down bars on the "humps" or "arrows" or whatever usually are. 3 wide bars. The head numbers translated to a 86 350. I am beginning to wonder if this wasn't a "Target Master" crate engine straight from GM. If anyone has any info that could help me or the original poster, please post.

Thank you. RD.

8. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

You might have just that. #18 post by squirll mentioned that the 030 could have been a machine shop #, which would mean it is punched .030 over.

9. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

His last response was over 2 years ago. I would hope he figured it out by now...:rolleyes:

10. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Question, could it be out of something else that used Chevy for power? Something like a Checker cab.

11. RandyDowdy

RandyDowdy
    from NC

Yea, I know. But I found this by searching the net , trying to figure mine out.....I would like to know if this was a TM crate engine, as it obviously doesn't belong in my SS EL Camino, since at least the heads on mine is a 86 truck block.....

I've been trying for 5 years to get a title to my car, and I got it this weekend..........so I've been jumping into high gear, finally able to put some sweat and money into this car that was my late Fathers pride and joy! I wasn't going to fix it up, and have someone come riding up one day, demanding "their car"...........that woulda been WWIII! Anyway, if anyone else can help us figure it out, it would be appreciated!

12. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Follow the rules and go do an intro.