Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. ModelCarMan

ModelCarMan

Rusty Wallace on the left and his family???

2. Falconred

Falconred

The ALLPRO truck series at GA International.

The Bull, Bill Dismond, Freddy Fryer,????, Car owner (Fredrikson) I think.

3. Falconred

Falconred

Mike Duvall in a rare asphalt appearance (I think).

4. Falconred

Falconred

Butch Lindley at speed - Butch at a bicyle give away. When I first took this I would get a lump in my throat because the young girl that won seemed so worthy and later because of the loss of Butch.

5. Falconred

Falconred

Gene Morgan...Bad Day
    Gary Balough...Good Day

6. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler

Whoa! 208 pages of Stock Cars. I just found this thread, lots of catching up to do. It is one of my guilty pleasures - "Stock Cars" and not the imitation NASCAR crap that is out there today. I grew up in this era and couldn't wait for Saturday to come to watch the races on ABC Wide World of Sports, including pre race demolition derbies and stunt cars.

Eric

7. thesignguy11

thesignguy11
    from Illinois

Looks to be Rusty, Mike and Dad...

8. copley62

copley62

You got it (thesignguy11).

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Tom. I knew he was from Birmingham, and I think he was also a mascot for a hockey team. Couldn't remember that last name.

Thanks again.

10. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Welcome to the thread, Eric! Chime in with any historic stock car photos you have.

Falconred, I hope you find a photo of the eagle.

Thanks...

11. copley62

copley62

12. copley62

copley62

13. rocket65kb

rocket65kb
    from Ohio

Mr. Vegas Oldtimer,
    I just wanted to ask if you have anymore photos of Wayne. He is like an uncle to me... known him since I can remember. I was sitting around bored and I decided to Google his name to see if any old photos came up and I found yours. So I thought I would sign up and ask you, haha. Thanks!

KB

14. Racewriter

Racewriter

In his earlier career, Mike ran quite a bit of asphalt, I think. But that was before he hooked up with Dick Murphy and became the "Flintstone Flyer." Here he is at Daytona, '78, in the SuperSpeedway Modified:

[​IMG]

15. I live south east of Greenville. I moved here in '77. There was always a bunch of great racing at Greenville-Pickens.

I watched Richie Evans on a frequent basis when I was up north. He and the rest of the NASCAR Modified guys put on some of the best racing shows I've ever seen.

My regret is never seeing Petty, Pearson, etc. race on the dirt at Greenville-Pickens. That must've been one helluva' show.

I did get to see racing at Anderson and Lanier when they were still dirt. That was good racing, especially when they'd have an open show.

I also went to Golden Strip, Riverside and I-85 Speedways. All gone now. My preference was I-85.

Here's a rememberence of Riverside I have hanging in my garage. My wife tracked this down and bought it for me as a XMAS gift several years ago.

I ran a cadet car back in the early 80's and got a chance to run several local tracks.

I still do some vintage racing and had a chance to run Riverside, Greenville-Pickens, Anderson, Lanier, Peach State, Toccoa, Cherokee, Hickory, Gordon Park, Sumter, Carolina in NC, Carolina in SC, Friendship, Caraway, Laurens and a bunch of others in Georgia that I can't think of right now.

16. Gene Morgan in the Carolna Tool Car outa' Travelers Rest, SC.

I wonder what track this was at? Looks like Gene made it outa' the joint!!!!!

17. Falconred

Falconred

Georgia International in Jefferson, GA now rebuilt and renamed Gresham Speedway. That was on the back straight. I watched two cadet cars go over the rail one night side by side looked like synchronized wrecking. Alan West and Rat Lane (see photo) also went over in almost the same place.

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Copley, send those results to that site. They'll appreciate it, I'm sure. Thanks.

19. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

Hey Rocket - go to post # 3732 (10/3) - there's a really neat little coupe there that I have been told is also Wayne's car. It is a year or two earlier than the one in the post above. If you could confirm for me that this is indeed Wayne's car, I would appreciate it very much.

Da Old Timer...

20. Sport Coupe 62

Sport Coupe 62

I have some of my pictures on my webshots page.. search quartermilebuggy

21. k9racer

k9racer

The name of the team was the ' Birmingham Bulls" a pro hockey team. The leage that they were in shut down up. I was told the Birmingham team was the only one making profit.. After this the Bull then unemployed but wanting to have fun came to the 5/8 mile Birmingham International Raceway {BIR} in coutume and was goofing around on the front straing as cars were lining up. He jumped in Johnny Days car and then Johnny took off and laid down a good lap. The anouncer then said that the bull droppings should be cleaned out of the car. The crowd approved of the bull and Bob Harmon {in my opion the best permoter ever} hired him. They then added all pro auto parts to the bulls name... Bobby

22. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

23. old dirt

old dirt

I am looking for a " colored " picture of Joe Shear's 1966 Chevelle. I have one but it has Sal Tovella's name on the door as he started the season driving the car.

24. Thanks for the welcome Falconred.

It will be difficult to add anything better to this thread.
    I only have a few photos left, but I have a couple of Donnie Bishops somewhere , that I will try to find. One is in a Jimmy Phillips Camaro[1978ish] and the other one is a Neil Bonnett built Camaro, owned by Bill Terry[1983ish]. I will try to find them, but my favorite Bishop car was a Phillips Nova, pictured with Butch earlier in the thread. I think Donnie won his first races in that Nova.

I am not sure were to begin. My parents took me see a Grand National race around 1970 or 71 at GPS, it wasn't the Wild World of Sports event, and I think Booby Isaac won it the K&K Dodge. My dad said it was one of his worse parenting mistakes, because I instantly "lost all of my brains to racing", but it was always my passion.

The second GN race I saw at GPS was won by Petty in an all Petty blue Plymouth. Bobby Allison entered the event on a 4 race winning streak, he was in the #12 Coca Cola Chevy. I think Bobby was driving for Johnson at the time, but Bobby switched rides a lot in those years, so I am not sure.

The memories are little scattered after 40 years, and I saw them with a child eyes, so any needed corrections are welcome.

-Butch Lindley: My first memory of him, is in a blue # 16 , 57 Chevy, winning a 50 lapper.
    -He went to the signature red or orange the following year. It was a 64 Chevelle or Malibu, # 16, and I think Moon & Freeman was backing him.
    I think that was in 72, he reeled off 7 wins in roll in the Chevelle , and the track championship.
    God bless Butch, he was a great and clean racer, and very smooth and Greenville should be proud of him.

I recall that Butch and Bobby Allison had a little feud after a Martinsville race. A few weeks later they both came and ran a 200 lapper at GPS. Bobby lost about 40 laps behind the wall, but he fixed it and him Butch battled it out for about 50 laps. They raced like it was for a championship, it was a great show.

Johnny Allen is probably remembered more now for the Aaron Adams # 80 Mustang. But my first memory of him is in 1971 winning the championship, driving a Fairlane owned by Larry Gilstrap. I think think it had a 429 engine.

Jack Ingram established a lot of my thoughts or the standard definition of what I thought a racer should be. I wish I had a picture of his brown # 11, 55 Chevy, and I remember him winning a 200 lapper in GPS in that time frame.

I loved those brown #11's that he ran. They had a crude military look in my opinion. Nothing pretty, but everything worked right when it was time to race, we would say that thang ran like a scalded dog.

I remember seeing a standard Chevy bench seat in somebody's race car, the steering wheels were padded with foam and wrapped with black tape in the day, and every car had it's own personality. Greenville had killer guardrails, the wrecker stall or ambulance stall was just closed in with the rails, between the two pits. Ideal for shredding a car that hooked them in two parts.

I remember seeing Ronnie Hopkins destroy an Aaron Adams Mustang on the wall at the pitstop exit. Him and Donnie got together, I am not sure if he ever touched the brakes, it was violent.

The Turn three exit was dangerous as well. That's were Jimbo Mann had his bad wreck, and were Jerry Rector centered a barrier or column in a Gilstrap Mustang.

Do you remember the Pirklelator? As I said I wasn't really into showy or flashy cars, but Lonnie Pirkle had some of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen. He had black # 8 Camaro that was the prettiest imo. I think a stuck throttle destroyed it in Birmingham.

Jerry Hughes, the friendly plumber, I loved the way his Chevy II looked. Low slung, half of the tires exceeded the fender wells, and the carburetor breather stuck through the hood cut out. It looked more like a modified than an LMS to me.

Jeff Hawkins, he was in last year, when I started going, I never really got to see him when he was in his prime.

The Aaron Adams Mustang had a lot of different drivers.
    Allen, Greg Porter, and Pirkle won in it, but I remember seeing Hopkins and Bishop driving it as well.
    That ride never seemed to have much power to me, but there was something special about the handling. The longer it ran the better it got, I often wondered if there wasn't some thing tricked or offset on it's chassis. I have no clue, I just knew it's late race handling was incredible.

The best Busch races ever were at Hickory imo, I will never forgive Nascar for dropping it from the schedule. 30 plus BGN cars there was sensory overload.

Extra Sensory overload!!
    Eva Taylor primping on the pace car as 30 plus All Pro warmed their tires. If I had been on the front roll driving during the preliminary laps, as Taylor flashed those legs, I would have jist went out of my mind. Those legs what can be said to match the thoughts, incredible.

Gene Morgan: My first memory was in a hobby car, I think it was a 58 Ford that David Radar previously drove.
    The Hobby class had some good racing
    as well. He was always fast. I tried to tell myself that it was just the Laughlin house car that made the # 45 so fast, but really he was fast in everything he ever drove.

I saw Petty, Pearson, Isaac, Ingram, Lindley, Waltrip,Allen, the Allison's, Farmer, Mader III, Balough, Lund, and others have some good races at the place, and I am thankful for the memories.

modifieddriver I will reply to your post soon , but I have wind bagged enough for today on this post.

=

25. AllenK

AllenK

Be careful at Toccoa! That place is fast,and I would love to see the vintage cars race there!!

26. dirt11353

dirt11353

27. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside, Calif.............."Motor Trend 500"....January, 1971

Good sequence of pictures showing Ray Elder battling with Richard Petty in Riverside's turn #8 area. Pictures are from the program for the race at Riverside the following June.

[​IMG]

28. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Riverside, Calif.............June, 1971........."Golden State 400"

Program cover of same race for Indyjohn's collection

29. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Another program cover that I don't think I have sent to you yet, John.......from the January, 1973 Riverside race.

30. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Hey, Allstar.......here's one you will like. A picture from inside the above program showing the tremendous Sportsman battle from the 1972 Riverside Permatex race. Saugus driver "Wild Bill" Foster in the Plymouth, Clem Proctor's T-Bird, Herschell McGriff in the Chevelle, and I think that the Torino is Sonny Easely's.

[​IMG]