Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Else Sick of "Patina"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KIRK!

KIRK!

Nope, but I am sick of people talking about it.

Real patina will always be neat. Fake patina will always be lame. Discussion over.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. ditto!

3. RichG

RichG

KIRK!, you're selling off your proofs? Damn being a lameass broke dude, I'd so snag a couple of those!

...and here I thought this thread was worthless...:D

4. To me, Patina, shows the history of the vehicle. People are always asking me what color I'm going to paint this truck when I finish it. I tell them it's taken 70 years to finish it and it's done. I will never ding it out and put a shiny coat of paint on this truck. We will leave all the scars, welded up patches, cracked window, and surface rust and yes missing grille teeth.
    I've got a beautiful shiny roadster, I leave it parked in favor of using this truck and sharing it with people. This truck has been a crowd favorite at many car shows we attend. We encourage people of all ages to get in, sit down, touch, feel, turn handles, and enjoy.

Attached Files:

5. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Your signature says if you don't drive it don't talk to me!.........:p

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm tired of fake patina, or rust buckets. If the original has some special history, or it's saveable, then I like it. But there's a point when it's better to redo it than save it.

7. Patina is nostalgic. "Back in the day" nostalgia hadn't been invented yet!

8. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I like the real patina. Most of the fauxtina looks fake but there is a handful of individuals that have the touch for creating realistic weathering. I did it for years on my models as a kid. Now the models have just gotten bigger for some people.

FWIW, We took the fenders off the 5 window and they're going to be gloss black. This car earned it's patina for 40 years in my family. Someday the entire car will get repainted, and it will earn it's patina for the next 40 years. Then my son (and his son or daughter) can fret about whether Great GrandDad's car should be repainted... again. Hahaha! :D

[​IMG]

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

Unfortunately, yes.

The first year posters are the real gems. I thought for the past 12 years that the only one I had was the framed one in my office.

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

11. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

That's the way I feel about it as well. I like the look, but not the label.

12. LynchMOB

LynchMOB

Since I don't own a hot rod or have ever built one I am not as passionate as some around here about the finish of a car. But coming from somebody who loves to take pictures of them.... I look at it as an art form. The builder is creating their vision of art. May not be ours... but its still about the cars. Shiny, rusty or flat... I like it all if it works on the car. Have you ever seen paint that didn't work on a car, hell yes... same with patina or faux patina. If it catches my eye, I like it... shiny or not. If I don't like it I don't take a picture... or stand in front of it and bitch about why the builder used that finish or didn't.

13. 067chevy

067chevy

Have you seen this car in person. I have and I love it. It could use a new top but other than that it is perfect.

14. ...this debate has no end; it's like askin somebody what their favorite color is...
    everybody has their own favorite.
    ...personally, I have always loved old weathered cars, trucks, bikes, and buildings.
    the best 2 artists worked on em, Father Time & Mother Nature.
    ...I like all kinds of cars, but weathered cars are my faves...
    [​IMG]

15. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

this thread kinda has an old jerry seinfeld stand up feel to it, by the way

"whats the deal with airline food?"

16. Orn

Orn

Here’s real patina or should I say rust…no faux on this one ;)

[​IMG]

17. patina steve

patina steve

Do I need to change my name on the HAMB and put new paint jobs on all my cars?

Attached Files:

18. Deuces

Deuces

Who's he??????????

19. I didn't mean to drive it to the junkyard:D

20. tinsled

tinsled

Keep your name, keep your faith, keep your fleet just the way they are, let DuPont keep their paint.

21. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

The fake patina thing is an art but some just try to hard and fail.The car below is a cool car ,but at one time it was an awesome car(and will be again I'm sure). To be honest now it just shows that somebody just neglected what was once a nice car.
    [​IMG]

22. bgaro

bgaro

i aspire to rip through the dirt roads of the small cow i live in. wont need paint for that. but seriously rattle cans are are cool.

23. pig iron

pig iron
    from Sweden

This?? cevy -33 spt cpe, 3w.
    Nothing done, exeption mecanical function and safety, for driver and road runners.
    :D

Attached Files:

24. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

patina style is not traditional in the old school sense at all. It is understandable for people to try to get the best effect they can when they don't have much money. But just picking up the car books from back then, everything was candy paint, kustom paint jobs, and anything that rolled in primer usually didn't make it in the books, or if it did it was just a temporary stage.

I apologize if this is redundant to many posts. But at least there are many of us who think similarly on this. Truly old school is not leaving spot welds to rust and leaving bare metal on the streets!

25. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Yes!!! Rustoleum Rules!! Holds up a lot better than many people think. All about preparation.

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

it must be hard to fit a car in that "cow" it's either not a very small cow or a very large cow, or you and your car are very very small. :D

27. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

When I was young, patina was the one of many things that the bouncer told me never to do...

28. I find it odd some of the people griping about it here are on other forums eating it up.

Why is this still going on after 12 pages?

Drama queens...

29. GoatRoper

GoatRoper
    from Elgin Il

Intentionally oxidizing a vehicle is just wrong to a midwestern rust-belt guy like me.

30. IT'S THE ATTITUDE, DUDE!
    Normal paint jobs are swell - shiny or flat!
    But, patina has its own attitude! I'll vote for patina too. It's a reaction to things like Barret-Jackass auctions and all the over priced cars and fat overpaid guys in the audience. It's a middle finger to all the prim & proper posers who can't or won't do their own work. And all those not driven trailer queens. A reaction to all the over computerized, over engineered, over priced new cars ya see on the road daily. Simply put it is, at least in part, a rebellion!
    And by the way, ya check out period photos and ya see all things - cars under construction and those finished. Cars with shiny trick paint jobs and those without. So to be precise, ya see all points on the spectrum!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.