Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Else Sick of "Patina"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patina is freaking cool. It's not going anywhere any time soon. What kinda question is this?
    -Dean

2. tatersgravy

tatersgravy
    from midwest

If its in good shape I vote leave it. Shiny paint jobs, I just walk on by unless there are flames, candies, scallops....:D.

3. teddyp

teddyp

if you find or build a car it will get patina if you drive it and thats find my cars have been done for many years and miles so they have patina but when i have the cash and time they would be redone again. i like a custom to look good but to each his chioce as long as you have fun with it

4. outcast13

outcast13

Really, Back to the 80's ?!?!? :confused::confused: I'll pass ......

5. Topper

Topper

I don't care what kind of car or truck you have someone doesn't like it. I built mine the way I like it and not to impress anyone. I do my best not to be critical of other cars I see because the owner probably likes it that way. I only draw the line at safety issues. That is a problem for everyone. Just my opinion.

6. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

John,

IMHO, Your car IS as signifigant as The Waco Kid (which is one of my favorites) and obviously it's your car, but it is history the way it is. I wouldn't restore it.

Jim

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thats about the stupidest thing I've ever heard, all that metal work, then it's rusted on purpose, WD-40 isn't going to protect it forever. If you are going to go to all that trouble paint the thing.

8. White Trash Renegade

White Trash Renegade
    from Derby, KS

You know, I have noticed myself at shows and in magizines looking at the cars that are "barn finds" or "patina'd" or unfinished, way more than the cars that are done! I don't see what the big deal is. I personally think that patina give the ride a soul. I just see a shiny "done" vehicle as a snooty, rich bitch that nobody really likes but your gonna suck up to because she's rich. Give me a break.

9. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

Well Said.

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

not everybody that paints a car is rich, a lot of people go to the trouble of painting them themselves, the paint may not be some 100 point show car paint, but you have to appreciate the effort, this crap of doing all the metal work in a car, then rusting it on purpose to fake it, thats about the stupidest shit I've ever heard, whatever happened to finding an old rusty car, then taking pride in doing all the work to bring it back to nice looking? it's a trailer queen or a goldchain car because someone wants it to last or went to the trouble of making it look good?

11. I'm sick of fixing it.

About everything I get has been rode hard and put up wet. Lots of sweat equity goes into making a decent car these days. Even a beater needs to be clean and presentable.

12. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Who the Hell cares? You do what you want and others do what they want. At 70 miles an hour on the highway they all look good.

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

EVERY single car out there (including yours) once started out as a snooty, rich bitch "shiny 'done' vehicle". That's traditional...:)

14. White Trash Renegade

White Trash Renegade
    from Derby, KS

Now, I'm not saying that the owners are rich. In my personal opinion I think it takes personality away from the ride. I can appreciate a nicely done car or truck, don't get me wrong, but I like patina or unfinished. I would never let my cars just rust away. I like them too much.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I laugh at the fake

I dont really understand the running of the real patina..just my deal i guess.

even if i dont have the money to paint some of my stuff the way i would like it to be,I still try to keep it all one color and headed toward the finished product.

Now i have seen some Natural Patina cars, that look sweet as hell just like they are..so I cant say whats right for others, I just do what works for me

16. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I more sick of painted cars that people think look good.

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

18. White Trash Renegade

White Trash Renegade
    from Derby, KS

Touche'!

19. No they don't, its pretty hard to see how bad a car looks from the drivers seat.

Look at Ed's Muntz and try and tell me honestly that it would look good as a rust bucket at any speed.

A car in trasition is a car in transition. Sometimes as rodders we drive them that way while in the process of sorting them out, but you reach a point where it becomes just too lazy to finish it. I'll be the first to say I am as lazy as the next guy but it isn't a trait to aspire to.

Now before you get your panites in a bunch think about it a little.

20. redshoes36

redshoes36
    BANNED

If you dont like it dont look at it. Thats should be simple enough. I dont like corporate welfare motors "chevy" motors in FORDS si dont look at them. I walk on.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

thank you....

22. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I liked it better when the use of the word "patina" was limited to HGTV.

23. octobeak

octobeak

A fad is just a fad, and people like to debate, but this topic seems like a no brainer:

Paint starts to age the day you apply it, so your day old paint job has patina even if you don't like it.
    If it's the paint on the car that your into maybe your in the wrong board, has this been changed to Painters Journal?

close it

24. I'm sorry I am going to have to cry BS on that one. Not that you don't like GM but that you don't look. If you didn't look you wouldn't be whinning about it. Now if you said you didn't like chevy motors because you didn't like your rustbucket getting waxed on a regular basis so you just didn't race with them I could believe that. :rolleyes:

Its like the excuse that you can't afford to paint one so you just let it rust in peace. So I am to believe that in the four or five years that someone has owned a car they can't come up with a a gallon of paint? Hell they even painted them during the depression. What doesn't cost has no value.

Ok that's my drama for the day.

carry on.

25. badshifter

badshifter

That right there is where the patina thing goes way wrong. Just F-ing stupid. Bleaching new metal and leaving to rust... brilliant

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I agree the thread has run out of life, but A lot of people here do care about their paint, and the fact they have done it themselves, if these cars are going to last no matter what style you drive, custom or hot rod, they do need to be taken care of, we at least owe that to future generations, so they don't all rust away from fake rust or neglect

27. HRod 50

HRod 50

Interesting topic the whole patina thing.. I dont get it, but who cres it isnt my car.. NOw for some reason, a 32 roadster patinaed (does that word exist) looks good to me. I dont think I'd drive one but they look good...

28. oldpaint

oldpaint

Let's get the spelling correct! It's Ratina!

29. skywolf

skywolf

30. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

blah, blah, blah

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.