Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Else Sick of "Patina"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. As long as stuff like this continues to do well, it will be faked again and again. I'm afraid it aint over.

2. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

more power to the guy who sold it for that much , and as for the buyer ....well , ever hear the saying "more money than brains" . gotta love the mexican blankets on bucket seats with that sweet console and cd player , go's together so well , lol

3. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

10-4. I don't ever call a car a rusty POS. I call it a PROJECT!

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

the nail has been hit on the head we have a winner:cool:
    and a wise man once said "once they are finished they no longer have potential" roth i think, maybe gray baskerville

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Im wondering if you watched Chasing Classic Cars tonight....:D:D:D Even my wife said what is with that word...couldve been a drinking game during the Saab episode...I loved it when he told the guy in the trailer not to rub against the car and destroy the patina and was hoping it wouldnt rain during the concours.

Louie

6. God bless America:confused::rolleyes:

7. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

It's the new "gotta have one" fad for the Rolex crowd... :p

8. 409deuce

409deuce

please tell me those are not digital gauges in that truck?

9. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

You know I don't particularly like the kids imports either, but I'm so glad those kids are doing something with cars, those are our future generation. Thank God there excited about some other than video games. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Fun with cars.

10. Ebert

Ebert

I'll bet you that is EXACTLY what happened! I have a hunch that the seller is hunkered down somewhere in Scottsdale buying a few rounds!

11. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Was that the green one with some fake logos on the side...if so, ive seen it over the last few years at AZ GG event. looks to be well done in person for what they were going for, Big ass 572 in it!

12. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Never get tired of real Patina,the real patina, fake patina is stupid, if you have a original paint job and you paint over it you fucked up, Its only originial once! shows the history and soul of the car or truck, my 41 truck I painted and have regreted it, should of left it originial, my old race car has original paint from 1969 and I will never repaint it.

13. he better keep em coming to the buyer until it's paid for.

14. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

^^^^^Nevermind...I missed the pic above...both of them were there the last few years, one green and the primer red/brown one pictured above.

15. Just to keep the record straight the builder is deceased and it was consigned by two of his daughters.

16. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Busted! Exactly what I was watching when I posted this.

17. Ebert

Ebert

Thanks, Scribe. And I do apologize then for my last post...I had no idea and it was meant as a compliment to the seller. Thanks. Open mouth, insert foot...

18. I know what that tastes like. Glad to help.

19. deto

deto

If I found some crazy barn find it would stay in patina. The only way I could afford a restoration that would do it justice would be to sling the priceless piece of history...

20. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Faux Patina is like calling a fiberglass or Brookville a 32 Ford.
    Neither are 1932s or Fords.

They can be artforms, but will never be real.

21. HotRod33

HotRod33

you don't see any of the imports with patina..... most of those kids like there cars to shine and like it or not these kids are the future of our hobby so maybe paint will make come back..

22. CarlosG

CarlosG

You got that right!

23. DRD57

DRD57

Am I sick of it? NFW!

I like my car just the way it is. It's been banged up a couple times and I just fix it back the way it was.

The general public usually asks "when are you going to paint that POS", while hard core hot rodders usually say something like "Don't EVER change a thing".

Attached Files:

24. smarg

smarg

Does it matter anymore?

There are to many Gimmicky things now.

Paint that is a little faded and still has some clear-coat thats ok, in some instances.

This will be a never ending concept, it needs to be put to rest.

Blousing about it won't change anything.

25. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

Give your car a 10k paint job and then go drive it around town. You will be cringing everywhere you go.

I like beautifully painted cars, but I have muscle car with a 10k paint job and it makes me nervous to take anywhere. I've already got the first scratch or two, so you get over it (not all the way), but still.

26. 71buickfreak

71buickfreak
    from Oklahoma

That said, I still drive the hell out of it. I just don't park it close at Wal-mart. Not that I take it there very often. Maybe 3 times since it got painted 2 years ago.

27. I really don't like the word "patina"? It sounds like bad flowering ass rash or something? However, just the other day I was thinking about pulling all my real steel Henry barn finds out and letting them rust and oxidize...:) But then again I guess it is better than pastels, tweed and billet...I am not a big fan of band wagon trendy movements! Also sick of everybody putting a straight axle under their car and calling it a "GASSER"!! Build/Buy something safe that makes your boat float and drive the wheels off it!! :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  28. I spend my $$$ on more car parts and California's EPA has made it very costly to paint a vehicle nowadays. Last Model A cabriolet a friend had painted it was 5500 and that was MAACO. Add the cost of new wood and other materials of your standard Model A to make it decent and that adds up to buying an already restored Model A. Yeah a label such as patina sucks just as much as Rot Rods has been a plaque on the whole hobby.-Weeks

29. VonKool13

VonKool13

I'm sick of the cry babies. And this ISNT your youth. Times have changed, deal with it.

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

patina rods=the new street rods.

who gives a shit, drive them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.