Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it just me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roseville carl, Jan 11, 2011.

1. rick finch

rick finch

It's always has been that way....

2. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

nothing pisses me off more than when you put out good cash to save some time and the stuff you get is crap, there are some good pieces out there ,but they are few and far between.

3. 5window

5window

This thread is a waste of time-what's the point? Stuff is crap, you brought it on yourselves by accepting cheap over quality in the first place and now you can't go back. Buy it and make it fit. Then post your work. That would be worth reading.

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

he did

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hhahahaha lighten up dude...
    getting all greeezed up over pokin fun will land you in the ER

eeeeeeeeeeeee.....clear!..pow!

oh and BTW..can you show me where i said any of that?....Not!
    I thought so..
    they got meds for that;):D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  6. big bad john

big bad john

.....Bet the cap was made in China......Quality is something that is gone forever.......I own a dental lab for 35 years,retire 2 years ago....at that time...70% of the work came from China...think about that....when you get your next crown or partial bridge.......I know the repro shit I get for my hotrods (usually from China) is mostly junk.....

7. seatex

seatex

ahhhhhhh, SO YOU SAYING TRY GIVVA ALL US AMELICANS BUCKA TEETH AND BWINDFOLD WITH DENTAL FLOSS, EH????:p:D

8. Yep, wrong side for sure.Over reacted and lost my way. Apologies to all.

Charlie

9. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

Quality control... I haven't heard that phrase in over 10 years. I belive it has been replaced with "cost control".

10. papajohn

papajohn

I am a Quality Assurance Manager in a sheetmetal forming shop. I have been in QC / machinig for 15+ years.
    One thing I learned early on is - 100% inspection is NOT 100% effective. Bad parts get thru. It's a sad fact of life.

Buy American. It's a good start.

11. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Sadly it's in all things not just car parts.

How would you like to install 3000 light fixtures and have 10% not work. The lighting manufacturer says it cheaper to do no quality control and just send tech to make the defective ones work in the field. Makes your work look bad and you have no control of the results. Make our own fixtures...right. Major aggravation to have to put up with this crap in anything you buy.

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I think the sheeeet gets screwed up on the trip across the ocean.
    SALTWATER will do it.

13. von Dyck

von Dyck

It's been a pet peeve of mine for over 25 years: "You buy something new and you gotta fix it before you can use it!"

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you have a lathe and you BOUGHT a gas cap for 100 bucks? I would have just made it myself, :D, if you can recut the threads you could make something unique yourself. I try not to buy anything unless I want part of it to make something else. At least I know if I design and make it myself, I won't see another one like it. I make airplane parts for a living, so they have to be right, I am the quality control.

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Here's my 2 cents worth, ordered a complete TCI front end, dropped axle, bat wings, hairpins, etc. The axle bosses are 2 1/4" and the bat wings are 2 3/8". I thought adding spacers in that area was long past? Called to see what the problem was and they said I was the 3rd person to complain about that, no real remedy short of waiting for recast bat wings with no time schedule or fab up some spacers. They even suggested bolting it up the way it is but being a cast piece I don't think so.............................

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

I just retired from working for a major auto parts supplier. Upper management preaches quality alright. But when you never see them on the shop floor you know its all talk. As one high ranking suit told us "This is a bottom line company". I am still from the make it yourself generation. Mostly because I'm always broke : - )

17. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

While I agree, there's nothing worse than paying extra for American, and finding out it's a POS, cost engineered down. Happens more than I'd like.

In Carl's case, it is just as likely an American told the chinese the wrong info to make the part, and an American failed to check the parts produced.

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My luck is not too good with bought items, as others have related..Very tiring to be the quality control and having to make corrections..
    I bought a front disc brake kit for early Ford spindles, four piston calipers from SSBC [Stainless Steel Brakes Corp]..A little over $1500.00, end of December, 2010..
    Can't bolt one rotor [made in Canada] to the hub as it doesn't have enough chamfer to clear the radius at the hub diameter/face, won't sit flat..
    One Hub had been dropped, making a raised area on the wheel mounting surface..
    One Hub [other one] the outter bearing race is rusted!! WTF...
    Brake Pads, have such a large chamfer at leading/trailing edge that looses 23% of area, looks too much to me...
    AND you'd think for the amount of money the kit cost that the fittings for the flex line would be Stainless Steel [maybe a $5.00 item?] instead of cad plated steel..Another WTF..
    Maybe I'm being too picky? I E mailed them, got an applogy and a request for some pics to turn over to Quality Control..Good so far, eh? So I take pics, send them in just before Xmas..No confirmation, no contact, they not answering any emails; they do answer the phone BUT no availible operator is all I can get, FOR HOURS...I chose SSBC because I THOUGHT I would get quality as the disc brake kit I got for my early Mustang was perfect and works flawless..But that was eight years ago, maybe the good help retired..I get the feeling I should have got a Wilwood kit...Just burning in CT.....

19. papajohn

papajohn

The founder (father) of SSBC died and the son took over, probably about 8 yrs ago. The father did not import much. The son imports lots of stuff. The brake parts they make in house are still real nice. The imported stuff??? well.....not so nice.