Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My Ford 51 Top Chop From Argentina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Path Thirteen, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Yeah!
    I want something functional, i want to use the car, i dont want a trailer queen ! haha
    I Know that theres some "period correct" guys that get sick when they see something "strange" like a 1950's custom with suicide doors, lot of people say that nobody want suicide doors in the fifties becouse the older cars came with factory suicide doors... but well, My point is that there no "period correct things" i think that if you want to customize a car back in the days you cant do anything, the recipe for me is to do the things the way they did in that era, you can go wrong if you do what you want on the car. I mean, there is no "this stuff" or "that stuff" t to do it the right way, just stay away of new shitty stuff like DVDS, LED DASHES, ETC.
    If you want a good 50's Kustom, just use the stuff that were aviable on the 50's or late fifties.

The good part of the Kustom cars is that you can do ANYTHING... good taste or not, that is what custom means.

What the heck !! i want suicide doors !!

2. Do it man, take plenty of pics.
    Not my style but it's still kool.:D

3. Hahaha, Thank you...
    Cool F100 you are building!!
    I have to upload some pictures of the shoebox, im gonna upload this night

Keep tuned !!

thank you again!

4. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I think period possible is the way to go.

5. long island vic

long island vic

not as dum as it seams.....brockway i believe had one up one down on the doors from the factory,,,,go for it

6. Yeah my friend, i like more the "perior possible" i think that is really the way to go !!

Thanks

7. Yeah, i think youre right !!

Thank you!!

8. Not working right now on the shoebox, im fixing a wrecked Fiat 500 and restoring the brake systems on a Model A roadster... have no place to work on the Shoebox, need to finish those fuckers to keep on with the 51 !
    I WANT TO DESTROY SOMETHING haha !

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Don't Fiat 500s come wrecked from the factory? :)

I'm lovin' your build, by the way

10. jajajaja piece of funny shit !! i dont like european cars, but those fiats are nice... i wonder how people fit in there, im a small guy but its unconfortable anyways... and the engine sounds like a lawnmower haha but well... its work anyways... and yeah, those cars born dead!

Thank you for your comment, hope i can finish this mess someday !! or get poor trying to!

11. Well, im still working on that god damm fiat 500... want to finish it to have some room in the shop to work on the shoebox, want to finish shaping the roof, change the rockers (im gonna use Falcon rockers becouse those are the more accurate shape that i can find here, remember i live in a totally fucked up country) and doing the new doors... i dont have any progress right now, but im waiting to finish that car and my holidays to give a 15 days straight destruction treatment to that box !!

here some pictures i took.. just for fun !
    Theres a part of the shop, the 51 fucking chevy and the fucking fiat hood !
    [​IMG]
    The forgotten shitbox
    [​IMG]
    hahaha i have a serious problem with my roof flow... i dont know if i like it or not ! i try to convince myself but somedays i like it, somedays i dont know if it gonna look cool with the chop... i need some opinions.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well thats all... Here some pictures of my wall art at my our new appartment... we moved with my girl about 6 months again and im still opening boxes and trowing shit ! haha The toys are part of my girls collection haha NOT MINE !!
    [​IMG]
    Thats a Hoosier i made out of a go kart tire hahahaha handfree and fucked up !
    [​IMG]
    And my favorite Corner !!
    [​IMG]

Well friends, see you soon !!
    hope all had had a good Xmas And a Happy new year !!

Path

12. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

The bad on your roof is that looks must up a bit in top over the rear window or you must lower the top of the rear window a litlle bit.
    And that will help up the flow of the roof.

13. Well... Here is another update!!

When converting the more doors into a strange 2 door, i have to enlarge the doors so, my door skins was fucked up, lot of old school patches, rust, and 60 years of abuse... so, I can buy some door skins in ebay and pay for it lot of money, plus shipping, plus custom fees.. or do it the hard way.

Lets do it the hard way!!

Fresh 0.8mm Gauge Sheet Metal U$S 37.50
    [​IMG]
    Some adjustments
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not Bad for the first Try
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Test Fit on the car, for now its only the door skins, need to enlarge the door frames and still working on the shape of the moulding
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well Thats All For NOW !!

KEEP ON TUNED FOR MORE JALOPY ACTION!!

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You guys don't suck at all, I love you.

15. Thank youu ♥ hahahaha!!

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes he does!!

Everybody loves Elvis!!

Good work, Path. Like what you're doing. As for bags, use the search function. Tons of stuff about bags.

17. You guys are INSPIRATIONAL!
    What a cool ride! You do good work! Not many men are brave enough to pound new life into a hammered four door. Keep us posted man!
    I need to get busy on my '49. Had it about a year now and done very little to it...
    By the way, what kind of car culture existed in Argentina in the '40s and '50s? It is pure fantasy but I can almost see Che Guevara riding around in a chopped custom sometime in the early '50s....

18. Thanks for your comments !! Keep tuned for more frankesbox build !! hahaha

Good Luck !!

19. Hey RuFF !! thank you, Im glad to be Inspirational for some guys in the USA, becouse you guys was the same to me !
    Its a hard work to bring back to life a beaten down car, but here we dont have cheap cars in good shape, i mean, mine shoebox was cheap (1500 USS RUNNING) but everytime you found an american car the owner wants lot of money for it (65 Galaxie 4 door, 12.000 US for example, not restored, just a used car in fair shape) SO we have to do this kind of jobs, but its funny becouse were trying to make something beatifull out of something ugly (as a 4 door shoebox haha).
    Times a bitch, we are working on the car in the free ours, not much, but well, everything in this car takes twice the time of other becouse all bolts are stuck and everything is welded and broken :( So keep on and work a little everyday and someday you gonna be glad to spend time in it !!

Hahaha, i hate che guevara and that comunist shit !!
    Here in argentina in 40/50 almost all the cars were USA cars, Mine shoebox is a US, Argentina started to import the parts (as a kit) of model A & T and was ensambled here in argentina, in the late fifties Argentina started to build "national" cars like the rambler 440, jeepster, chevy nova, Falcons for many years (falcon was produced since 62 to 1991) but well, all the "argentinian classic cars" was US cars built here ! We have some other old cars like Citroens, Renault and that european shit that i hate !!!
    hahaha

Hope you have undertood !!

Thank you for the comments ! good luck!:D

20. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

You guy's are bad ass! you're working with almost caveman tools and it's turning out great! We are spoiled here that's for sure, keep up the good work and keep us posted.

21. Thank you !! hahaha not caveman !! OLD ANCIENT SCHOOL !! hahaha

Thank you for your comment !!

Keep tuned !!

22. lgh1157

lgh1157

For the Airbag question :

Run a 5 Gallon tank - run a bigger tank and you just have more fill time.
    2 x 480 Viair compressors
    SMC Valves - 8 so each corner is independent
    Parker PTC fittings on the valves and the bags for a good seal.
    Water traps - SMC make some that will withstand 200 psi $35ish each
    Run a line at the bottom of your tank to a ball valve outside of the body on the frame so you can drain the tank
    Use Loctite 545 sealer on the fittings, use only loctite and you will have no leaks, let your fittings sit for 24 hours before running any air through em.

Ebay is good to get the viair comp dual kits

Go to these site and look at kits :

These guys are great :
    http://www.airassisted.ca/us/index.php

Also :
    http://www.suicidedoors.com/front_page

Sometimes it will be cheaper to piece together a kit, the kits you buy may have some stuff you do not need. ..........

This may be info you already know, just wanted to throw it out there

L

23. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Verry nice work with the door skin

You are making nice work

/Stefan

24. Thanks for the info, I really apreciate the time you took to write this for me, I know a couple of things about air ride, but not too much, Thanks for your help im gonna keep in mind your set up!

Thank you so much!!:D

Good Luck

25. Hey Stefan !! How are you ?? Thank you !! Were trying to do a good work on this !!

Good Luck !!

26. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I think you guys are doing a great job. This is a project with tons of work in it so far and I love a 4 door to 2 door converstion.

I would suggest either putting a little more of a crown in the middle of the roof on the flat panel you welded in and/or laying the windshield down a little more. The flow of the roof seems to dip down right before the top of the back window and then pops up.

In the pic below you posted you can really see it

[​IMG]

Again, things are looking good...just a suggestion for a better flow.

27. MetalShaper

MetalShaper

There used to be i still think are some good sheet metal shapers here in socal from Argentina..i worked with some at MetalCrafers and i think there are some at Beckman...you should looki into it.

28. lgh1157

lgh1157

29. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

It's always good seeing people tackle something 'out of the box' the first leadsled in Argentina you say? good work, keep up the inspirational work!

Cheers

G

30. Thank you, Yes i can figure it out what you are saying, We have to keep shaping the top, becouse as we welded the new sheetmetal panel of the roof, that piece was plain, so we have to shape it to do the crown, i think maybe when the crown is done im gonna have a better vision of what to do next with the rear window, maybe it looks weird becouse now its flat in the middle of the roof, we will see... but if keep looking strange or without a good flow i think in gona redo the back window sorrounding again.

Thank you for your advice, ill keep in mind, and thank you for your comments

Good Luck !

Path