Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods well Im a father and I got the talk from my wife...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Racewriter

Racewriter

Gotta give kudos to your wife; if she'll allow 3-4 hot rods, she's a pretty damn good one and a keeper. Of course, my wife and I battle over shop space (she's getting ready to buy a '69 Blazer that she wants to restore), but that's another issue. My bucket list:

'32 Ford Victoria
    '63-65 Riviera, done Bellflower style.
    '56 Chrysler 300B (coincidentally, I have one)
    '67 Charger (ditto)

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Kids are great, would never give mine up ,or anything i have learned having them..

now with that being said...yer screwed:D,,,hahah J/K

amazing how that little thing can cause such a change in life:)

3. Larry T

Larry T

First of all, as has been said, you're priorities are about to change. And it's not because your wife says so. You'll give up everything you have for your kids if you have too, that's just the way it is.

As far as a 4 car list.

1956 Ford Custom Cab pickup--- check
    Anglia racecar------------------ check
    1930-32 Ford roadster pickup--- not yet
    1967 Olds Vista Cruiser/442 clone-nope, but ya need something for when the whole crew wants to go.
    Larry T

4. InPrimer

InPrimer

I'm going to sound like a broken record... but...as far as future education goes, buy a life ins for your child they come in handy down the road(can borrow on them) also the old addage, put a dollar away every day and before you know it youl'll have a bundle.. Too many people procastinate and then try to catch up and it never happens, so go slow and add that $... you'll be amazed. words from experience IP..............PS my fav is 37/38 Club Coupe looks like a coupe w/ a back seat

5. Ole don

Ole don

After being married for 15 years and having two wonderful girls, my wife asked when I planned to stop working on old cars. I told her if I'm lucky, about a hour before they close the lid. My second wife understands. Its a much better life now.

6. Rocket man 88

Rocket man 88

you will not have any problem using your pent up energy with a child..I have a ton of energy as you and work on 2-3 cars at a time. Then the first of my 4 great kinds was born..you will spend more time at show's and refining "the you have in the shop right now" and wrestling till your back aches...3-10 years old never fails, till their 15 and actually have a chance at beating you:rolleyes: then the day will come when they are almost graduated and your back to 2-3 cars again....but they are standing back smiling with and nodding when you get the right stance on a car during moch up...and you have to wonder to yourself how it could get any better.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's where Breastfeeding and Cloth Diapers come into play.:D:eek::D

We got a cloth Diaper service that gives us 100 diapers a week and picks up the soiled ones (without us cleaning them in and way shape or form) for about $20 a week. No diaper rashes and such so we save money there as well as our insanity. As for breastfeeding, tell your wife to attend La Leche League meetings to help her breast feed properly and make sure her milk supply is up that way you can save a ton by just providing the baby with what was given to us naturally.

As far as day care? Well that's something that we don't have to deal with because I work from home and my wife is a stylist and work for herself so can work around everything. I know that can definitely put a strain on the finances if you have to pay for it. But think outside the box and never let anybody you don't know completely watch your kid.

Truth is if you really love Hot Rods and customs you'll find a way to do it no matter what. You make take absences every once in a while but you'll make due. You family coming first is just a no brainer so I think that'll either come to you or it won't at all.

8. White Trash Renegade

White Trash Renegade
    from Derby, KS

Mine is:
    47-54 Chevy or GMC pickup
    49-51 Merc
    59 Elcamino
    59 Galaxie
    Model A sedan

I took the wife to the Starbird show over the weekend and she is hooked now! Thank God for small miracles!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  9. 76er

76er

68-71 vette 427or 454
    67 ssrs Camaro...again
    49 chevy fleetline
    my current 59 Apache
    60 and earlier vw 11 window kombi

once i had kids i felt guilty about spending any cash on my rides when it was not a neccessary buy.

10. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

If I didn't play with cars, I'd have to start watching some kind of ball-sport like all the average Joe's do. THAT WOULD REALLY SUCK! One of the first dates I took my Wife on was in the Green Grenade. That was my 'Acid Test' for compatibility. Now I've got a Wife, 4 Kids and I can still play with cars. IF my wife said no more my list would be as follows in order of importance:

'34 Ford 3W
    '34 Ford Roadster
    '36 Ford 3W
    Early Indian Chief
    '35 Ford PU
    '38 Ford COE

11. 91Bear

91Bear
    from Boerne, TX

1963 Ford Galaxie 500 XL ragtop R-code
    1957 Ford T-bird F-code
    1956 Ford Crown Victoria glasstop
    1968 Camaro Z-28 convertible

I can dream, can't I? ;)

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

It's not just the little ones that come along. It's the ones that grew up, got married and then get divorced and come back home with kids. Can't even go all through all its cost us when my daughter got divorced. Her Range Rover was repossessed, had to buy her a car. Paid everything from utility bills, credit card bills, clothes, medical bills, attorneys fees, and who knows what else. Not to mention being a Grampa who's now trying to be a Dad to a seven year old boy. Thank God he loves Hot Rods. If you can't help your kids who can you help? I wouldn't have it any other way.

13. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Ever notice that most of the dudes at the car shows are 60-ish and grey? There's a reason; they've already paid their dues. Some of us are paying our our dues now, and raising the kids. Best to pay them dues now, and enjoy em. If not, you pay em later, and they are damn expensive down the line.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Congrats on the bambino!

We've been talking about having a baby after this crazy wedding-filled summer is over (my wife is in a few of the weddings). One thing we talked about was how how all the family members buy such unnecessary things for the kids, toys they don't play with and junk, etc. It's always a topic of concern for a few relatives and we're thinking in the first couple years we'll just tell them if they'd like to give a useful gift, add to a 509 College Plan.

Thankfully, my Hot Rod Fund doesn't come from my paycheck so that's a source of relief. No issues come from that.

Hotrods I've got (that I'll keep)
    1930 Coupe on a Deuce chassis
    1920 T Roadster
    1926 T Roadster

I do have a short list of cars I'd like to own...

A Speedster on an A chassis, 36 3 window, 62-64 Impala, and a 28/29 unmolested coupe or roadster. Actually, I'm not sure I could leave the roadster unmolested. I'd try for a month or two though. :D

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  15. A.P. Photography

A.P. Photography

Congrats. I am getting married in April and she is just as much into hot rods as I am. Hopefully we will be able to balance the money and the hot rods. As for a Bucket List of cars.
    1) 1955 Ford Victoria 2dr HT (have)
    2) 1932 Ford Vicky
    3) 1967 Chevy II
    4) 1934 P/U

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

It's never been discussed other than ME occasionally wanting to know how everything is going from her perspective. The wife has always responded that I provide a good home, a great car for her to drive, we're well dressed,fed, we're warm/cool for the season with money to provide just about anything a reasonable person could hope for..................what more could she expect/need. I'm blessed beyong measure and have a shop full of equipment and projects that will take me well beyond my useful years. I'm very happy being ME!!!

Frank

17. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

my last g/f said i had to get rid of all my uh junk , motorcycles and tools , so i got rid of her and bought an 2010 harley put 3000 miles on it this summer and it doesnt complain when i look at other bikes

18. VONRUBEN65

VONRUBEN65
    from LOMITA

I just want to finish my car finally after 10 years!! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ya know I thought the same thing before I had Memphis. But then you start getting stuff given to you and it start amassing in the house. On top of that you buy one Jump Jump and he doesn't really like it and nver wants to be in it. So you get another and he loves it.....for a month then he wants to be back in the other one so now you're keeping two of them. Then like a mentioned above even after you have kids people are giving you their old toys they had for a kid and now your house looks like a Chucky Cheese ((HEAD SHAKING))

My point is, sometimes you end up buying a few extra things then you had planned because it's worth the peace of mind. If you can get 15 minutes of peace and quiet then fuck it, he's getting that toy and we'll work on College once we jump the first hurdle hahaha!!!! But you can definitely save a lot of money by graciously taking all those gifts every one gives when you have your kid. My wife's clients seem to have a drive to give us everything from Breast pumps to Sleep Sheeps etc. All of that adds up to two things....money to buy that PM-7 intake and time to install it on your fresh 59a engine outside.

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

Somehow, JJ, you got the words "breast pump" and "PM-7 intake" into the same paragraph... hahaha. You're a hot rodding dad, for sure.

I do get your point, for sure. The last thing I'd say is I know what it's like to be a dad. I pretty much raised my younger brother but I can say, honestly, that doesn't count. What I like about you is that I know Memphis will be your partner in all your hot rod horse-trading antics. It's a great way to get the best of both worlds. Tell me this, is there a special tactic to getting a boy??? :D

21. Named the little nipper Ryan?

I guess it's just a coincidence!

All my best to baby, mom and dad.

22. Old Heap

Old Heap

Congrats on the Lil' Hot Rodder!

You had better be good to that wife of yours! The thread title had me thinking the talk would be a demand you sell everything. She's a keeper!

My first wife turned out to be Satan's sister, thankfully she found someone else and hit the road. I did way better the second time, 21 years so far, seems like 21 weeks.

College fund.........I'm telling you, if you faithfully set aside a minimum of $100 a month from today on you'll be a happy parent in 18 years. You'll find the biggest effort at tuition time will be writing the check, the cash will be there.

Congrats again!

23. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Married 37 years

Bought a 72 Chevelle SS new in 1972 Still have it

Not much car activity 1980- 1993

1993-

1955 GMC
    Corvette
    32 Vicky
    32 Roadster
    35 Chevy sedan ( gave to my son now 27)

1955 Chevy truck sold it

1992 FatBoy custom
    1977 Shovelhead

Just don't be crazy when kids are little and enjoy yourself when they're on their own

24. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Its funny this thread comes up. I just bought another car this weekend. My son is four and I am planning on giving him the truck so I figure I have time but I couldnt pass up the deal on the 54 I got. The wifes not too happy but she does understand the sickness I have. I am gonna keep this one unless a great unbelievable trade comes up or some unfortunate happens. I figure I can get this one going and drive it and hang onto the truck for the boy and enjoy the time building it again with him. I had a 54 that I had to sell when we bought the house a few years back and I always said I would get another.

So for me its the 55 GMC and the 54 CHEVY besides if you saw how many dirtbikes I have and can manage to stay married.......... Iam blessed!

25. Abomb

Abomb

I used a similar strategy, and bought my 3 year old boy his 1950 chevy 1/2 ton truck.....the wife went along with it too.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I've been married 41 years to the same woman and although it all hasn't been a bed or roses she has pretty well gone along with my having more than one old car around. But I decided on my own a long time ago that the hobby cars wouldn't take food out of the family's mouths or clothes off their backs or come before the bills. I saw way too many circle track racers kids in Central Texas in the early 70's living on beans and weanies and getting a hamburger on Friday night after the races if Dad's car won or placed. I decided then that that would never happen with my kids.

That said, a backyard full of cars that aren't quite what you really want is a stockpile of material that can be turned into something that can be sold or traded for what you really want. That couldn't see it going to the crusher sedan plus that engine and trans over in the corner that are left over from another project plus a few weeks of spare time and little cash outlay might just turn into a running and driving car that someone else might fall in love with and fork over a decent handful of cash for.

27. dt50chev

dt50chev

Been married 7 years to a wonderful lady. She enjoys my car hobby and gladly goes with me to car shows and swap meets. We are responsible people and parents so there is no way either of us would put cars before the needs of our family.

Bucket list:

50 Chevy truck (have it already)
    62-64 Nova (had one before, want one again)
    83-87 Monte Carlo SS (had one before, want one again)
    35 or 36 Ford Coupe taildragger (ultimate custom dream)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  28. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I'll second that...when you have a kid your life changes!

You know sell all your toys and grow up a little -----> naw just kidding! Before kids I used to go in the garage and crank the tunes while welding. When my kids were babies - I had to turn the radio way down so I could listen to the baby monitor while I welded.

Sure life changes - it's supposed to. The part that always kills me is that when people use kids as an excuse to not be able to do this or that or whatever. Excuses are easy to find - name them anything you want. Even now - I spend time with the kids earlier in the evening & later when they're in bed I can have some quality time with the projects. It's all about prioritizing your time - you'll have less time now than ever - doesn't mean life has to stop.

29. bob-o

bob-o

'56 Ford Crown Victoria
    '57 DeSoto 4 door hardtop
    '58 Olds Hardtop Wagon
    '63 Buick Wildcat/Olds Starfire/Pontiac Grand Prix (either one works just fine for me)
    '67 Buick Wildcat

30. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Frank and I both married the same type of woman ... :)
    We had the TALK, before we were married. She knew I was a wrench twisting, Harley riding ... lover of old cars type of fellow.

In the past I have SOLD ...

1969 Z-28 RS
    1970 LS - 6 Chevelle
    A couple of 56 F-100 big window pickups
    Other assorted O/T vehicles .. So we would have a nice home and she would have a nice late model ride and the family taken care of.

I drove junk mostly for the first 20 years. Now I have 2 of the " Bucket List " vehicles ( for me ). I have 2 1932 Fords :D ( a roadster and a 3W coupe ). I would like to have another 1940 Ford standard coupe ... and a early 40/50's pickup. I have a 1949 Mercury pickup ... on the back ( slow ) burner ... so ALL I want is another 40 Ford coupe. I would BUY the right one today ... if it came along.

Congratulations on the new baby, and cherish this time because time flys and he will be 16 and wanting the keys to the car before you know it :eek: