Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods well Im a father and I got the talk from my wife...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by saints, Jan 17, 2011.

1. saints

saints

That’s Right 7lb 12oz 21 inches long bouncing baby boy....named him Ryan
    Ok in the hospital the wife brought up the subject of finances and it started avalanching toward the amount of cars and money being spent&#8230;well I tried and reason with her and the reasons why I have to buy every 30,s or 40&#8217;s or 50&#8217;s car that I find for $300-$900&#8230;But It came down to the wife saying I needed to make a list of like 3 or 4 cars that I would like to have before I die and start collecting parts and bodies or cars of that year so there&#8217;s a direction instead of a salvage in our yard&#8230;.well I agreed and started thinking over the last couple days and it is hard to nail down just a couple I would like to own them all at least once but here is the car &#8220;bucket&#8221; list<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    1. Model a (have it)<o:p></o:p>
    2. 55 Buick special (have it)<o:p></o:p>
    3. 39 or 40 ford coupe or sedan<o:p></o:p>
    4. 54 Chevy belair<o:p></o:p>
    Well it was hard not to go straight for the 32 or zephyr or some other awesome unobtainable car but I kept it where I can have a shot at affording to have them and build them<o:p></o:p>
    What would your honest list be if you had to be pigeon holed to just a few? <o:p></o:p>

2. My wife will be signing a pre-nup........

3. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

Model A
    34 Pick Up
    35 3 Window Coupe
    Lincoln Zephyr V12 Coupe

Oh and congratulations on the kid!

4. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

You very fortunate my friend. Most wives (including mine) want ALL the cars gone. When my 1st little one was born the only hot rodding i was able to do was in my dreams. You have a good wife, especially if she will let you keep 3-4 cars, LOL.

5. 35 Ford 3w coupe(have it)
    33-36 Ford roadster
    57 Ford Ranchero
    59 Chev Elcamino

I'll be having the "talk" before I get married. Yeah and congrats on the future wrench runner.

6. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I've already started to pare down things because my first is due at the end of March. Knowing that, I went ahead and started acquiring parts for a 28/29 Coupester build (roadsters are just do damned expensive). Here's what I've got, and after that is the bucket list:

In Stock:
    -50 Chevy 2 door Sedan
    -29 Ford Coupester body

Bucket List:

-28/29 Roadster (or Coupester....at least!)
    -1957 Buick Hardtop
    -1956 Ford F1
    -69-70 Charger (non HAMB friendly)

Honestly, I couldn't give a crud about owning a 32 Ford unless it came my way by some miracle and DIRT cheap. I know, I know....stalwart of automotive history, blah blah blah....

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

My wife started asking me what I'm going to do with the old car that's been sitting in the garage for the last couple years. "You're not going to spend money restoring that one too are you?" Well, she only provoked me to dig it out. Now I've been putting parts on it for the last few weeks.:D
    [​IMG]

8. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

my wife tried that talk with me, i told her to go get me another beer.

9. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you need to knock that type of thinking right out of thier heads at the first peep.

I got a buddy that likes to spend all his money on new cars, guitars, and other junk. when his wife complains he asks her what do you or the kids need that you don't have? then he tells her to shut the fuck up.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

As soon as you have a kid and get them home, you'll see that your priorities will change big time. Your wife won't have to jaw at ya... You'll see... Give it time.

12. choptop37

choptop37

convinced mine the model a was too loud and dangerous for my kid.. we needed a 54 chev for for a family car...only problem is now we have a back seat to fill up...didnt see that one coming....

13. saints

saints

yea when we were dating I told her there is just one thing in my life no one can change and thats my love for cars and the need to work on and have them.....I have add and I cant set still like most folks can so cars are my outlet for my energy
    Shes a great wife and knows she couldnt just say I can have one because after that one was done and driving I would be in the house driving her nuts being restless and so thats why the list of 4.....that should get my to retirement and then Ill just drive them and maintain them.....your never really done anyway and I think she relizes that

14. spot

spot
    from usa

63 f100 unibody
    56 victoria
    sunbeam tiger

Now since i don't have any of these yet and the current junk I have laying around is going to take me the rest of my life to finish I'll just have to keep dreaming as I have no more room to store anything else.

15. choptop37

choptop37

and ryans right...youll be happier with much less if your doin it right..

16. Ok- but what does the GIRLFRIEND say????? stash a few at her place. Tell her its a foundation for the future

17. saints

saints

hahaha your lips to gods ears

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

'39 Ford Deluxe coupe
    '59 Ranchero
    '59 El Camino
    '57 Chrysler coupe (already have this one)
    '56 Imperial coupe

19. das858

das858

Bonneville race car- working on it. Hot-Rod pick-up-got it.Front engine dragster-not yet. 1964 Plymouth Fury- not yet.

20. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Oh saints,life has changed real quick for you now?
    It'll be great fun to involve your son (congratulations!) in your automotive lifestyle.
    You'll find that as a good Dad,you'll be putting your son's interests ahead of your own frequently....
    One day at a time and best wishes!

21. saints

saints

yea the money is there for my toys and hers as well, she is now thinking about growing the nest egg and collage funds and all the stuff that goes along with having kids......She is the advacate for the 54 she loves the car and thats going to be the going to get ice cream on sunday with the family car

22. First off Congrats! Sounds like you've got a great wife... She is supporting you and your hobby, just asking you to be reasonable.

We just had our first this October, and like ryan said... its a different world for me now. He is and will always be #1. That being said, I started working on my 51 p/u a couple hours a week soon after we brought him home. I find myself daydreaming about how lucky I am instead of working on the truck all the time. Cant wait for him to keep me company out there!

23. aaggie

aaggie

I married a girl that tolerated my hobby and got involved. Sometimes I had her make a parts run just to get her out of the way. Sometimes we spent the day at salvage yards and even brought a cooler and lunch.

We managed to raise four great kids and even put them through college and paid for weddings. The kids are scattered around the country and she passed away about two years ago. I am left with a big house, nice shop and two good hot rods.

I would give it all up if I could have her back.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome man Congrats!!! And to name after Ryan says you Really Really Really like the hamb!! Just kidding. Greta to hear, I just had my first in July.

My wife and I knew that my spending on cars would need to be tightened up or at least a bit more structured so we decided that I'd get a certain amount each month to spend on what ever from Startbucks, lunch or car parts. That way I didn't go crazy and over spend one month putting us in a bind. We also agreed that as long at we could provide a warm home with food on the table as well as a happy household there was no reason to get rid of anything. What I did find is that now in order to get some of the bigger parts that cost a bit more I cannot keep things that I am not using or going to use. Like no more NOS Cadillac intakes hanging on the wall with no foreseeable future. So a lot of stuff has been sold in the name of getting my '35 on the road.

But I still have
    -- '35 Ford Coupe
    -- '33 Ford 3W Coupe
    -- '32 Ford 5w Coupe
    -- '54 Chevy 150 Sedan

Now as of right now I'm really only "allowed to think about the '35 as that's the one that's closest to being on the road. Once I am completely finished with that car I can move on to the '33 but only using the allowance that was set by us. Now if our circumstances change up or down then we need to discuss some things but for right now I am keeping the cars that I have and NOT getting anything else. I will work on them as time and money allows but I swear to god that these will never get in the way of my family being happy. So if that means I can't afford to take my son Memphis on the occasional trip to explore the world or buy him Hockey equipment if he should need it then I need to let something go. That's how we look at it.

25. HANG ON TO THAT WIFE & KID!! She's got a LOT of sense, and is much more important than any car will ever be.

I'd consider doing one car at a time, and making it something that you can enjoy together as a family....ie: can take the wife and baby along in reasonable comfort...meaning a back seat, a heater, etc. etc. etc. Do not make this car a priority in your life. Make it completely secondary to your family.

Been there, done that, and thank God I survived....with the same wife for 48-years.

26. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Your not gonna have the money for cars for awhile ,Diapers and formula are gonna cost you big time and after that it keeps coming kids are expensive .I have twin girls now 8 .1st it was diapers and formula ,Then daycare ,Now its kids club ,Like I said it never ends and also summer camp .Public school though ,Cant afford the catholic one. And also a congratulations is in order

27. RDR

RDR

Am 67 years old....got married at 20....gave up drag racing and a model A project to raise a family...went from 2dr '56 Chevy to 63 Pontiac, then to VW bug to save $$,next to a couple of station wagons (with mag wheels,couldn't give it ALL up!)....after 19 years she wanted something different and left, so from then on my two sons and I built quite a few cars and have some wonderful memories....NO regrets about my life...you do what you gotta do...follow your dreams tempered with responsibilty..

28. Happy Times For You !! Now go out and get a 2nd job >>>>.

29. Like you I would go for a '32 in a heartbeat but they are getting to be outragiously priced to the point that us commoners are out of the runnings.

So...

1. 1928-29 Roadster on 32 Rails. Not sure about the engine or era I'd build it to....just always wanted a hiboy. Strangely enough this desire is inspired by a car that Boyd built that won AMBR in the early '90's.

[​IMG]

2. 1965-66 Corvette w/396 BBC. My old man had a Black one and a Nassau Blue one back in the day. The man he sold the Black one to still owns it and it has less than 75k original miles on it. And I would give my right nut to have it....and possibly some other body parts. Dad already offered him $35k to buy it back....no dice.

[​IMG]

3. 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Ht....just like the one in my album that got sold before we got done with it (dammit)....had to pay for college (my jetski also got sold....dammit)

4. 1929 Ford Pickup....the one in my avatar. Still have it back home and have some interesting ideas to freshen it up a bit. (one of which involves a 392 Hemi that has been sitting in the corner of the shop for a couple of years)

30. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

well this makes me love my woman more and more, she evean suggested to me that we start collecting all the old cars and bikes we can find.

you poor bastards.