Register now to get rid of these ads!

crotchedy old neighbor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1ton, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1ton

1ton

Got a call from the county last month. It was in reference to a complaint of a large amount of wood I had in my back yard. I told the guy that I was splitting firewood from a very large tree from my yard. The tree had to go so I can build my garagemahall. No problem.
    Just before winter I got a call about a complaint to the county about storing building materials on my property. I reminded the guy that I have a permit for a 12 x 16 shed and that I built. The materials were on the ground for 2 days. Shed got built. No problem
    Friday I get yet another call from the county about a complaint that I am storing some old cars, under tarps, on my patio. A 27 roadster and a late 31 a pickup. This neighbor would have to be in my yard, behind my house to know this. The nice guy at the county told me they have to go. I asked him what the ordinance is with yard art. I told him that if they were getting moved it would be into the front yard and displayed as art. After a little discussion it was deemed that the cars are fine where they are. No problem. Any other crappy neighbors out there?

2. ems customer service

ems customer service

yes, find somethiing on his property to call the county on

3. squirrel

squirrel

my neighbors have as much, or more, crap laying around as I do

4. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

Can you talk to the person that's calling??

Or, make a complaint that they are herassing you?

5. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Sounds like you need a new taller fence or find a way to shut up your neighbor.find something legal that really annoys him.

6. You need to remind them that they can't be seen unless someone is TRESPASSING....

7. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I tried real hard to please all of them. It never seems to work. So I just do what I want.

8. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

I try to help my neighbors out with their cars as much as possible. Helps to keep them happy, out of my business and in good standing. But still there is always one old or young bastard always not wanting to play nice. Plus a 8 ft fence keeps things out of sight.

9. GTSDave

GTSDave

10. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

buy a digital motion activated trail cam hunters use and set it up if hes coming in your yard you can catch him then take the pictures over to him and tell him if you catch him on you property again he well be arrested for trespassing

11. 55chevr

55chevr

ignore the old SOB ... take the high road ... your other neighbors will respect you.

12. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

your troubles are not over---

13. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Great idea !

14. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I think the neighbor has to give their name to lodge a complaint. Check into that.

Then have a nice talk with them, and explain that you're really just trying to keep low-key and out of everyone's hair... but if it comes down to it, you're VERY mechanically inclined, and can think of dozens, if not hundreds of ways to be a genuine thorn in their side, as opposed to really being fairly peaceful as you are now.

And it wouldn't hurt to make a pro-active call to the inspector who has called you, tell him you think you're about to have some problems with a neighbor, and that you'd very much like to nip it in the bud and invite the inspector over to have him give you tips on what you can do to avoid any issues that would give the neighbor reason to call and bother HIM.

Take the inspector's side... they probably get yelled at all the time, and might appreciate someone being nice and actually working with them.

-Brad

(and then, when it's all said and done... take some gasoline and write "Fuck you!" in the offending neighbor's front lawn at 4am. Light it on fire if you're feeling froggy.)

-Brad

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Just be careful with this ,Ive been through there lies too.For starters Figure out a way to hide the cars ,Im not paranoid but I had a township problem ,Went after me for cars ,Boats .My cats ,My dog ,Dont have the roaming cats any more only had one and then another Dog died from old age ,Just get a copy of the ordinances that your violating ,Definately one of your yuppy neighbors .........Also had building materials when fixing up the house Threw away alot of slate peices ,Youll get a kick out of this The township Fokkers took the pics from my back door,In my back yard and then I had to see the judge ,Compromised and got rid of slate and cleaned up building materials ,Unloaded a few cars ,Now I have a privacy fence in my back yard and they cant say nothing or do anything ..........No permit pulled either .Screw them

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  16. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

I had one but he died. The new ownwer is a builder and bought all the property around us so eventually I'll have a bunch of gouchy neighbors.

17. GTSDave

GTSDave

I like Ortho Ground clear. and all you need is about a 5 foot 4-Q

-Dave

18. 40fairlane

40fairlane

Thats why I moved to the county..

19. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The people who lived next door called code compliance on me (the old bitty didn't have anything better to do after her husband passed on). I met with the code compliance officer, she told me to put up a privacy fence, and call her back when it was done. I used treated 1x6's 6' long with them 9" off the ground. Called the code compliance lady back out, she liked it, and promised me ther would be no further problems (I hadn't been messed with since, 8 years ago).

20. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

id say somthing like this.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XKxemEXkSSg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XKxemEXkSSg?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

21. 1ton

1ton

I had trouble with this guy even before I bought the house.
    The morning before closing I came onto the property to double check the survey. This guy comes over and asks me what the hell I was doing. I introduced myself and he showed me the survey flags. They were moved in, in his favor, by approximatly 40 feet. I'm standing there with a plat of survey and a long tape measure and disagreed with him and he told me I was trespassing. 40 feet wide by 220 deep and he .is convinced to this day that I took his property. Even after I paid for a second survey with iron pipes set. I should have knocked him on his but that day but I was just trying to be a good neighbor. He is an old man that can't handle change. I'll just wait a couple more years and my problem will be solved.

22. modelaman

modelaman
    from sunland ca

My neighbor made my life a living Hell untill I installed security cameras and all has stopped. should have installed the cameras years ago. they even went as far as to put up a sign that said I was invaiding their privacy with the cameras. the sign fell after the first rain and never went back up. It sucks having bad neighbors

23. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

When I lived in the city I had a similar situation. A neighbor complaioned about me cutting and splitting firewood, then the ordinance officer made a project of writing me up for anything he could think of. A couple of the complaints were valid and quickly corrected. The rest were total BS and went nowhere. Things got serious when I eventually told the officer to kiss my a$$. I had a jury trial over the original firewood complaint and defended myself. Turns out my firewood pile didn't meet city specs:rolleyes: and I lost. Most citys have rules for EVERYTHING. Based on my experience my advice is; short of moving, do your best to stay within the laws(get or read the ordinance book) and as much as you might be tempted to, don't tell the ordinance officer to kiss your a$$. If the neighbor's complaints aren't valid the city will eventually get tired of hearing from him. If your lifestyle doesn't mesh with the neighborhood or city you'll be happier in the end if you move to an area more suited to your way of doing things.

24. I like the camera idea. A guy like this is going to call every time he thinks of something new to complain about, because he has nothing else to do. And he's apparently not afraid to tresspass.

I tend to believe that fences make for the best neighbors, but that's not always an option.

25. rustnpz

rustnpz

I had a conplaint on a 59 chevy milk truck,city told me it had to be stored in a inclosed structure if I wanted to keep it so I built a big crate around and they said it wouldn't pass code with central inspection because it did not have a footing. So I asked if a crate was a inclosed structure he said yes. Then I say well until both offices get on the same page leave me alone. they did

26. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

When this happens Only thing to do is comply with them ,I never told you about the 100 dollar parking ticket got for parking on my lawn in a snowstorm and my street is a snow emergency route ,Had no room in driveway .Shoveled and extra spot for car ,They wanted 1000 dollars at first ,Had to see the judge again.Reduced to 100 I still park on the lawn once in awhile ,Neighbor probably moved ,I think it was my neighbor across the street ,About 15 years of township hassles ...........I could go on and on .

27. 53mercury

53mercury

I live in"The Canyon", 8 places 15-30 acres surrounded by a 64,000 acre ranch. Rule #1, what happens in the canyon stays in the canyon. No other rules. Mike

28. Fenders

Fenders

God bless my neighbors, they don't complain about my hobby ....

Attached Files:

29. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I know of a few cases where people have been written up for things that can only be seen from the air or by trespassing. In one case the guy had a couple cars and some equipment stored in the middle of a wooded 10 acre lot. In another case the it was old cars stored on an even more remote and unseen location past the end of the road and up a steep hill that could barely be accessed by car and some times of year accessible only by walking most of the way. So, apparently it only matters if the the violation exists, not whether anyone can see it.

30. Steel 35

Steel 35

Now I remember why I have a Harley and two pipes one is very loud, some days, mornings or nights the battery needs charged, because I sure don't like to ride it anymore!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.