Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs I Miss My Riviera

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 13, 2011.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Buick used Riviera as the designation for two-door hardtops in 1949, and continued using it for different cars, hardtops in both 2 and 4 doors, until 1963 when it used it as a model designation. My '57 is a Riviera. But I still want the '65

2. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

project 65 rivi around the corner from my house with a For Sale sign on it...nudge nudge wink wink.

3. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

Ok guys this is all OT....

Kidding. Love that Steel gangster reference. But with Sam L Jackson driving it, it might be steal gangsta.

Funny, gangsters always have the coolest cars. From the 32s until now. Cadillac got the reputation, but a Riv was high art, most likely driven by discriminating gangsters. Even Hemmings Motor News writers called it the best-designed post-war car. That's a lot of cool cars to compare to, but I tend to agree. It's one of the top 5 anyway.

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I got a 66 Riviera, last year nailhead, first year of the next gen, my favorite Riviera but not HAMB friendly, it is now the daily driver because it has heat AND A/C.

5. fms427

fms427

I got a nice 63 you could have for $7500, Ryan....... Heater works.......:D

Attached Files:

6. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I'd love to have my '66 back. I sold it 43 years ago.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

If I only had the money... I would be pm'ing you with questions.

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Looks like a pretty clean car for the money.

9. Irvan

Irvan

As a kid I was working cleaning up cars at the Chevy-Buick dealership in my hometown, that was back when they hid the cars and brought them out on introduction day and everybody came to see them. Had to stay after 5pm because they went and brought the new Riviera in to get cleaned up before sitting it on the floor the next morning. WOW. It was a big deal for a 15 year old kid to see it first and shine it up. White and I think blue interior.

10. Yep , miss mine too , bought sight unseen the mates said take it to the dump and save yourself the trouble but once built it ran great and was a hoot to cruise in .......................MMMmmmm Rivi's

cad

[​IMG]

11. Gator

Gator

I hate to do this, but I saw this at an indoor show in Nashville today - Oh the humanity....[​IMG]

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Poor Rivis... They just need to be left alone. Lowered a tad... that's it...

13. same here...I wish somebody would buy my 69 chevelle convertible and I would be on my way to Michigan...7500 is a good deal

14. Where's the Tylenol? That gave me a headache

15. deuceman32

deuceman32

OK, it's 1985 and I'm sharing shop space with friends including Angie, a very low key, soft-spoken guy who is just an incredible bodyman. One day during burger break, he's looking through the newspaper and says, "Wow,I'm hitting the towing lot auction this week, they've never had so many cars. There's one listed as a 64 Buick, and that's all it says. What do figure the chances are that it's a Riv?" ME-"Somewhere between slim and none".

A week goes by before we're both at the shop again. I walk in and he's block sanding my 34 roadster body. We chat a little as we work and about an hour later it dawns on me to ask, "Hey Ang, how was that tow auction, didja check it out?"
    A-"Oh it was interesting, and wouldja believe it, that 64 Buick turned out to be a Riviera".
    Me-"No shit? How bad was it hit?"
    A-"No, no, not hit anywhere, complete car, all there.Still had all four Buick chromies on it.Faded silver factory lacquer, all cracking on the tops. Black interior, all there. They put the cables to it and it fired and ran. Sounded OK. Car'd have to be stripped to the metal, but it could be pretty cool." He's sanding the whole time he's talking, in a quiet, Ben Stein kind of way.
    Me-"What'd they get for it?"
    A-"They got four hundred".
    Me-"FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS? Why the hell didn't YOU buy it?
    A-(still sanding) "I did".

He stripped it, gapped and metal finished it, painted it the factory silver and it was very cool. Ryan is right, they need nothing. Thanks for bringing it back today.

16. hudson48

hudson48

My 1963.Second owner.History is that it was purchased new in USA by a couple from Victoria and driven around USA & Canada for an extended holiday.It was then sent back to Australia and converted to RHD.

Since I have had it we have done dropped spindles,disc brakes and Astro Supreme style wheels.Had it for 8 years now.

Attached Files:

17. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's hard to sell a car that has some history with you, I enjoyed my Galaxie for seven years as a daily and my kids miss it more than I do, that would be my only regret. Some Pommy once said, it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. You had the experience, you lucky bastard.

18. sgnova72

sgnova72

Always liked those early rivs. Yours had a great stance and loved the large whites.

19. Why you no start with you face first?!

Bwahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Decadent capitalist tool wiper of tiny bottoms lard licking round eye!

20. Kettleman

Kettleman

I love the 65 Riv, great story!

21. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

My old 64 might be the only car out of over 100 that I have ever regretted selling... They sure have a way of getting a hold on you.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  22. 193257

Ya

You really messed up. The new owner!!!!!

23. ^I have seen this car in person, it's beautiful.^

24. Solamente1954

Solamente1954

They should of bought an impala and a mustang instead of disgracing this riviera! Not to mention he has ford looking mags... GEEZUS.

25. Badfella

Badfella

Miss mine too... ...Then again, I miss ALOT of the cars I've let go over the years:(

26. Omfg...the only way that could worse is if he built the wing outta plywood!

27. customcory

customcory

This is what I settled for when I couldn't find a 65 in my price range. Here was my 600 dollar all black 66. That might have been the best car I will ever own. It was all original and great for dates.:D I miss it.

riv.jpg

28. Saw this one a couple of years ago in Lakewood, Ohio. Got my vote.

Attached Files:

29. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Haha.... at least it got a great home. I'm glad to see you enjoy it and drive the wheels off of it.

30. I had a `64 in the early eighties and had to sell, it was the eighties, no work and high interest rates .I missed the old girl so much that i bought another one a few years back, we are removing the muck and goo repairs to the floors and trunk and hope to have her on the road this summer.It`s hard to explain these cars...465 ftlbs of torque 425 cid to say nothing of the styling. Once you`ve owned one....your hooked!