Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 40 Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by niterunner71, Jan 16, 2011.

1. niterunner71

niterunner71

here are the first pics of my 40 as she sits right now. sorry for the pic quality due to my cramped dimly lit garage. Next weekend should be game on time. Will be getting her apart hopefully...

Attached Files:

2. fitzee

fitzee

Nice project. What is your plan for the build. you have a idea on what the outcome will be?

3. George G

George G

4. hasty

hasty

Great find. Keep us posted.

5. niterunner71

niterunner71

plans are for a ford 302 with 3 dueces hopefully and a 4 speed and 9 inch rear. would like black with a white/red tuck and roll interior. plant to keep all the stock trim and maybe 37 desoto style 5 rib bumpers. whitewalls of course. the front oines on the car are the ones i am using as they are brand new

6. fitzee

fitzee

Cool what frame is that it is sitting on. looks wide!!

7. niterunner71

niterunner71

it currently has the stock frame with an econoline front end and 8 3/4 chrysler rear end

8. 31-5window

31-5window
    from Michigan

Looks good keep us posted with pictures....:) because I can't read

9. niterunner71

niterunner71

gonna try to chase down some parts this weekend maybe if the weather cooperates

10. niterunner71

niterunner71

just an update. afetr a few setbacks, and finally selling my 56 i just dropped over 3 grand on parts and the build should be in full swing in a couple of weeks after i get a few things in my garage fixed

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

keep us posted--can't beat a 40 coupe

12. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Looks like a great starting point. Enjoy the build. I am for the all FORD power good choice.

13. Better hurry up, only 3 months till York!!:rolleyes::)

14. 40 is my dream car. Looking forward to this one

15. niterunner71

niterunner71

since my last posting some things have changed but I am well on my way. i got the front frame cleaned up from the mess that it was. it had a gasser type front axle and dual leaf springs, i am going back with a transverse leaf spring and speedway 4 bars. the 302 i was going to use turned out to be junk. I have swiched plans for a SBC for the simple reasons of fitting and the low cost to rebuild one. but I am sure this won't be the only engine it ever has. I would like an early Cad/Olds, Nailhead or maybe a Y block later on down the road. Pics of progress tomorrow...

16. Nice project. Keep the pics coming!!

17. Great project - and that's one of my favorite cars of all time! A friend of mine in high school had a 40 coupe. Pretty much an original car and it was so SWEET! One day maybe I'll be lucky enough to get one....

18. niterunner71

niterunner71

just scored a 57 283 .060 over. the front end will be done as soon as speedway sends my other spring, ordered the wrong one and had to return it. as soon as i have the 283 in my hands i will post pics of it and the front end

19. chronisterracing

chronisterracing
    from N.Il.

I like the Y-block idea doing one in a 37' coupe

20. niterunner71

niterunner71

i would love a y block if i could afford one

21. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Pics, We need more pics???

22. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Kinda curious to see how you're gonna mount the transverse spring to the axle with the 4-bar, 'cause the spring in a '40 mounts IN FRONT of the axle, usually on the forward extension of the wishbones. That's one reason you seldom see a 4-bar set-up in a '40. Good luck! DD

23. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

look foward to watching this one. Looks like a great car to start with. Gary

24. niterunner71

niterunner71

speedway makes a 4 bar kit that mounts the spring in front for 35-40s

25. niterunner71

niterunner71

As promised here are pics of the speedway 4 bar kit. as you can see it mounts the spring in front just like it should. next order of business is to patch that hole in the frame someone cut, then mount the brakes and spindles as soon as my reamer comes in. still undecided whether to use the stock 40 steering box or a vega box...

Attached Files:

26. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

I'm not sure that I can see anything in your photos that will preclude the 4-bar/spring hangar brackets from rotating about the single, verticle attach bolts as the suspension works up and down. I'd also have some concern about the angle of that panhard rod possibly inducing 'bump steer" with a normal cross-steer set-up. I've never seen THIS set-up before but of course, that doesn't mean "squat". Curious to hear your take on this. Again, good luck. DD

[​IMG]

27. niterunner71

niterunner71

my take on this. it is installed according to speedways instructions and everything lined up by thier measurements. i will see how it works out. if it gives problems i may switch to mustang 2 later on down the road as this is not gonna be the final rendition of this car it will change as funds allow. this was just a way to utilize parts i already had

28. Buckster

Buckster

There is a fellow, who I believe, lives in Virginia who has this setup on his 40 coupe for a number of years. He reports no problems. If my memory is correct he goes by "T-Square Tom"

29. Way better than the one I'm picking up next Monday. But i still feel good about getting it!

30. niterunner71

niterunner71

I truly believe in speedways products that was the main reason I chose to use this setup, plus i already had a stock 40 axle and spindles I could use. And I like the idea of having an i beam axle with transverse leaf spring. Just like Henry intended it :D So I can't forsee any problems.
    ANY 40 coupe is a good 40 coupe:D