Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shipping an engine from the US to Canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cm30, Jan 14, 2011.

1. cm30

cm30

I am considering shipping a engine from Oklahoma to Toronto Canada and was wondering if this is worth my wile ( shipping fees, taxes, brokerage fees) The engine is a great price. Any Canadians been down this road?

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can you work it so that it is shipped to a freight depot on the US side of the border for you to pick up and haul back across? It seems like there would be a lot less hassle doing that and all you would have to pay beyond shipping would be the duty for it at your border.

3. scruff

scruff

The best plan would be ship it to one of the mail box drop places on the US side of the border.Then you go down a pick it up and clear customs yourself.You will save alot on brokerage fees.

4. OneBad56

OneBad56

Its a lot cheaper to ship it to an US address because once it crosses the 49th parallel, its called international shipping and its about 3x as much.
    You pick it up and only pay GST on the value when at Canada Customs.

For example, I bought a bed wood kit from a Arizona supplier.
    Originally, the freight, gst, and brokerage fees amounted to almost $300 FOB Calgary.
    I got a mailing address at a "shipping receivers" warehouse in Sweetgrass MT and the cost for shipping to it was $85 as it was oversize, otherwise it would have been $60.

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

My dad had a MEL engine shipped from Florida, I don't think it was that bad.
    Can't remember exactly what he paid.
    I know it was cheaper as truck freight to our business address.

6. I use a shipping depot.

The shipping inside the USA is cheap, compared to what you pay to ship it across a border. My shipping depot is also a Commercial Address, so the cost to ship to it is less than to a residence. Additionally, they have a fork lift so loading onto my trailer is easy.

My depot will store things for months on end without a storage fee. So I wait until I have a larger number of packages there, then drive down to get them myself.

Also: No Brokerage fees!

Hope this helps,
    Greg

7. daveismissing

daveismissing
    from north eh

I just helped a buddy ship an engine block north.
    cbiusa.com (Dave) are great folks in Niagara Falls NY.
    Cost him under $25-$50 for their receiving and holding for him.
    USA-USA shipping is reasonable typically as the above have described.
    You will just pay HST on this personal item when you bring it across yourself.

8. All you need is an address across the border and get it yourself. Just curious, what is the engine?

9. madman customs

madman customs
    from odanak

i ship engine form big al"s all the time with no problems

10. stavros7a

stavros7a
    from Ca

I shipped a frame from Texas to a shipping company in Buffalo and they called me when it arrived. I went with a trailer and picked it up a few days later. DO NOT have it shipped across the border because it will double your costs. See if you could have it shipped to a "friend" on the HAMB and pay them a small convenience/storage/beer fee... Reason I say that is because Canada Customs considers the cost of shipping as part of the value of the part. In other words if the engine cost $500 and shipping was $500 you will be taxed on a value of $1000.. (Sneaky huh) Unless the person you purchase the engine from accidentally gives you a receipt for lets say $200 ;)
    PM me if you need the name of the shipping company I used and I'll dig it up..
    Steve

11. daveismissing

daveismissing
    from north eh

Sounds clever until you run into a customs guy who is also a "car guy". I know a very unhappy couple who will always be subjected to detailed scrutiny....

12. screwball

screwball

..............................................................................................................................Allot of people use massaged receipts to cross the boarder but if you get caught they can ban you from crossing or flag your name and every time you cross they hold you up for inspection.

13. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

We use the UPS store in Odgensburg NY. Some places do not have a lifting device so ask about loading the item onto your trailer/ truck, or bring some strong buddys.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  14. daveismissing

daveismissing
    from north eh

Indeed, thats another reason I mentioned CBI, they have forklifts etc.

15. biscaynes

biscaynes

inquire with these guys, they accept items on skids/pallets, just across the border, port huron....

http://usparcelpickup.com/

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  16. BashingTin

BashingTin

If the item in question is classified as "Antique Auto Parts," then there should be no import/duty tax. Of course, be prepared to back up the claim. Shouldn't be hard with the kinds of parts we swap back and forth. ;)

I have never shipped something as large as an engine over the boarder, but lots of packages. So far, all of my Canadian customers are saying no additional fees or taxes where charged for importing the parts into the country.

Hope that helps.

David

Andrew Mccann likes this.
  17. daveymac405

daveymac405

i live in oklahoma, and i work for a shipping department that sends a load once a week to canada. I may be able to piggy back your motor along with it. it goes to concord, would you like me to get details for you? PM me I'm on the HAMB everyday :)

18. There is NO DUTY on auto parts and hasnt been for years There is GST . The brokerage fee is a bad thing.We are paying places like UPS a borkerage fee for customs for a product we all know has no duty on it. I also use the Ship close, go and get it method. U ship help me a lot learning to do this. I ship to Watertown UPS truck depot which is actually east and north of Watertown proper.
    Don

19. OneBad56

OneBad56

Not True
    When bringing an auto part that you shipped to an US address, Canada Customs is only to charge on the value of the goods, not including the frieght.
    You can call them on it.

It's important to get an electronic invoice from the US supplier as proof of the value with shipping shown as a separtae line item. You don't have this, then they charge according to what they think the part is worth.

When bringing it across, and they asked for the declared value, give them the part value only.
    When going into the "office' to pay, have the e-invoice with you for confirmation, in fact I even highlight the subtotal before the shipping cost.
    Canada Customs do charge exchange before charging the GST, or in case the HST, but I have found it to be cheaper than the banks.

Blue One likes this.
  20. mmhmm, I'm now one of those people :mad: I wasn't even trying to cheat the system. They don't tell you that work done on a vehicle is included in purchase costs. Now I'm flagged as a smuggler, or illegal importer or some nonsense. Importing an engine is just going to be a treat now...

21. I have no idea what engine you are buying or who you are buying it from (so that said) what happens if (assuming the engine is old) the block is cracked or the crank has been cut too many times, or the valves have been sunk too far etc? Even if there is a warranty of sorts, would you be responsible for the shipping cost to send it back.

I'd personally (again don't even know what engine) be looking for an engine a lot closer to home.

Hope it works out for you, and there certainly has been many good suggestions regarding your initial question, but not the route I'd be taking myself (yeah, yeah, no one asked for my opinion :rolleyes: ... )

22. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

If you go to kinek dot com, you'll find free registration and a network across from wherever you are. Very reasonable fee$. NO brokerage fee, US-only freight. They contact you on arrival at the site you designate. Works for me...often.

23. I have a US location that I always ship to (I only live 15 miles from the border so it's easy), I'm not sure what you have got for quotes, but I got a quote for a 392 from phoenix to North Dakota it was 1000 bucks. Just got a quote today to ship a Huge tool box from Florida to North Dakota, it was 1600. Needless to say it broke the deal for me on both items. I would highly recommend shipping it to a US location though and pick it up yourself and deal with customs face to face. If it goes through a brokerage you'll pay ore and if theres any problem, you will be dealing with the customs over the phone - not always easy.

24. Hey guys
    I know the Canadian memeber said theres a good shipping depot in Buffalo but I cant PM directly.
    Does anyone know a good place to ship in Buffalo NY?
    Im shipping two 17.5 wheels to a Canadian hamber in Ontario.
    Thanks in advance

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have large items shipped to a shipping depot in Montana near the border, as I live 6 hours north of the border and even so it is still cheaper to drive down and get my parts.
    A recent example of an order of wheels tires and caps and rings from Summit.
    Shipping was free to Montana, but to get the order 6 hours further north into Alberta the cost was going to be $450 US dollars :eek: No way in hell will I spend that much driving there.

With that being said, when Tim McMaster built my Y Block down in Visalia California, I found that with the cost of shipping it up here I could actually take a 3 day trip down and back and bring it back in a crate in the back of my truck and not spend a whole lot more $.
    So I did, had a nice trip and met Tim, win win.

At the border it was and is always easy. Be honest, present the paperwork and pay the GST.
    Larry :cool:

26. Check out Kinek.com. They have a shipping point in Buffalo that I've used before. The buyer will have to be registered with Kinek (it's free) as it'll give him a unique Kinek ID. As a seller, you just ship to the address he provides.

27. Mostly good advice here. There is no duty on parts. Just tax. Your going to pay that anyway. Never fib about what you pay for an item. You may get way with it. Maybe more than once. But as mentioned. ...if they call you on it you won't like the results. I'm lucky. I'm 5 minutes from the border. Have a USA address. Ship straight to Canada and it's over $20 brokers get involved = $$$$

28. daveismissing

daveismissing
    from north eh

The link is in my previous post CBIUSA.COM. Niagara Falls NY is closer to the border than Buffalo locations
    The UPS store 2316 Delaware-Buffalo will also receive but it is retail and they don't appreciate large or heavy.

29. daveismissing

daveismissing
    from north eh

And for what it is worth CBI will receive vehicles.

30. Hey guys.
    So the guy dont have time to drive down.
    Is USPS pretty reliable?
    Btw I am paying it forward to this guy so dont think im using the old hamb to make a buck in this transaction.
    Just doing what other have done for me.
    Thanks