Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 Merc Comet 2D wagon mild kustom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JiiTee, Nov 27, 2010.

1. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Somebody might be interested about this car so I decided to share this fun.

Ok, what's going on? Well, after I bought it I was a little bit suspicious about how the floor pans were replaced. After a quick look under the car I started to laugh. Bingo! Yep, all was replaced but not the way it should be. It might be good enough in States but here in Finland it's not and cars must be properly fixed. Once a year every car should be inspected for road safety and they will CHECK everything. It didn't pass the inspection, surprise. :D

Few nights after work and this saturday I got a right front floor pan replaced. Had to replace some toe board too. I got some extra money and bought all floor pans from Mac's Antique. They fit pretty good but some shaping is necessary.

First pan is replaced and... there's more to do. Here's one pic but behind this link is more pics ---> http://kuvablogi.com/blog/31073/1/

I'll be updating this thread. Sorry about my crappy english...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Your crappy english is excellent. Nice project. Keep posting as you progress. Stu

3. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Love the Car I am actually jealous as i own a 4dr 61 comet wagon! I looked for a decent one for over a year then gave up and bought the fordor :eek: cant wait to see the progress

4. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Cool little wagon. I don't recall ever seeing a Comet 2 door wagon before. Keep up the good work.

5. That's gotta be rare. Love any 2 door wagon.

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good work,man.That Mac's floorpan looks like to be good quality and fit nicely.
    Keep it coming!

7. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Production number for 2 doors is 2,121. So it's rare wagon. I found that out after I bought it and I think that ain't gonna sell it never.

Thanks! It's great to watch movies without subtitles. Does good to my english...

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Very cool wagon dude.....

9. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Here's one of the first modification what I did in last spring...

It's really slammed and in fact front shocks didn't work at all. There was not enough space to work. Had to do some searching and found out from Monroe catalog that Dodge Aspen shocks are the shortest shocks and they got a suitable mountings. With few mods, I got a much better shocks and the cruising was grrrreat again. In future there's gonna be airbags... That means saving money.

Here's link for this modification --> http://kuvablogi.com/blog/31073/2/

10. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Today after work I started to slice up right rear floor pan. First piece out of the car and found out under that there was another floor pan. What the hell! Some more grinding and man this car is sooo rusted. I'm gonna cry and fall in misery... Hell no! Rear floor pan don't reach under the backseat so it's have to do myself.

Because all of that rust it's hard to see how orig. floor goes under the backseat but I think that it can be figured out. Lots of work to do... Two pics here and more at kuvablogi.

Attached Files:

11. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Crappy english? You's be talkin' more better than most of us on here.

12. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks man! It's just that I'm so critical about it...

This week I had to do something else too than fixing that floor. Put some christmas lights outside because I promised that for the kids. Yesterday I did some fabrication until my throat started to bug me really bad. Later fever got up like a rocket and I think that it´s a tonsillitis... Know I've been in bed almost whole day.

I hate that I don't have any good tools to fabricate those floor pans under the backseat. Had to manage with basic handtools... Well, still it´s better than nothing.

Attached Files:

13. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Wow--congratulations on your project, and hope you feel better soon.

Two-door Comet wagons are awesome! I had a 1960 two-door wagon for a very brief period several years ago, and not a day goes by that I don't wish I still had it.

Best of luck with yours.

14. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Finally I beat that flu or what the hell was it. Doctors didn't know what was it and few tests came back with negative result.

Now I'm back in business and today I finished right side floor pans. Also started to rip off the left front floor pan and found that there's some rust holes inside of the left rocker. Shifter hole is wayyyy too big and must be fixed...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  15. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

I thought at the morning that today there's gonna be a day off... Yeah right! :D Few hours at the garage and got that rusted rocker fixed before there was toe boards turn. Toe board pan didn't fit very well and had to do some heavy reshaping for it. It's now tacked on...

Attached Files:

16. bp30152

bp30152

Hey did your friend drive the car from TN to the coast to have it shipped? How did it do?

17. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

No he didn't, he told me that ain't got balls to do it and because it's mine he had stress if something happens. He got Blazer with trailer and drove that combo to the coast. He was a big help for me...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  18. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Man that is a cooool looking wagon for sure....I'd hang on to that one also! Nice work on the floors by the way!:D

19. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks! There's been almost month break because I had to do couple of another projects. Maybe this week I can continue again.

20. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

21. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Nope... I had to fix and paint two daily drivers to get some extra money. Those are now done and this saturday/sunday there's gonna be an update.

22. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

About saturday....I send a PM

23. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Oh what a joy of welding... :D At the morning I decided to finish driver side floor pan and fix that shifter hole. Mission complete! Here's pics..

Attached Files:

Legends47 likes this.
  24. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

More rust to repair... Now it's left rear floor pans turn and that is also sooo bad. I grind the "old" pan off and cleaned up all rusted floor. New floor pan is now tacked but it's not big enough and all other pans and patches must do from sheetmetal.

Damn, I wanna paint something... That shifter is bare steel at this point and I think that's gonna be painted next week. Red, silver or something else. Let's see but it sure is shiny, bright and sparkling.

And pics from todays mess..

Attached Files:

25. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

I liked the pictures I had seen of that car while it was in the US.

You sure are going through it - very nice work!

26. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Thanks! Goin forward slowly but surely.

Thursday after work I did paint that shifter with some leftover red pearl basecoat and added little red flake in clear. After moment of drying two coats more of clear. At the friday morning sand it very light and more clear in it... Done and ready for hard shifting!

Today I started to do left pan under the backseat. This side was little bit better shape but still it's challenging to do it because there is nothing left from original floor pan. Most of the time goes when you're hammering and shaping those pans. These are now tacked on. Next step is that driveshaft tunnel which must be raised as much as possible without cutting the backseat.

And some pics...

Attached Files:

27. falcon_flyer

falcon_flyer
    from Omaha

Great pics. I just got done putting floors in my 65 Falcon wagon. Well, I thought it was just the floors. The front right torque box ended up being completely rusted. Had to have my buddy help me fab up a new torque box before I could finish the floor. It is all done now, but good to see another wagon being brought back to life.

28. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

^ It sure is big repair but when it's done right you gotta great feeling about it.

Yesterday I continued welding pan under the backseat. Then I lifted backseat in the car to check how much room there is. Well not much but all necessary raising is possible to do at the back of the tunnel, which was the problem area. If that's not enough I can raise backseat a bit.

Attached Files:

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

30. JiiTee

JiiTee
    from Finland

Nope, build is bit frozen at the moment... Had to paint few things, such as Charger fiberglass hood and interior parts to '60 Impala. Spring is coming and everybody is asking paint jobs.

But I've order new windshield seal and rear air shocks. :D I try to finish all weldings at this month.