Register now to get rid of these ads!

lengthning a 57 chevy wheelwell

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stone33, Jan 12, 2011.

1. stone33

stone33

IMG_0406.jpg
    too small of a side wall
    IMG_0409.jpg
    cut this section out
    IMG_0413.jpg
    I moved the section forward 2 inchs
    IMG_0419.jpg
    I cut a piece of sheet metal 2 inchs wide and a random length long and broke the piece at 3 degrees and tacked it at the bottom of the qaurter
    IMG_0422.jpg
    I worked the metal with a hammer and dolly as i tacked it in place, once tacked in I then cut off the the top at the cut
    IMG_0424.jpg
    now that everything fits nice I finished welding it out. Even if you take your time not to warp your metal with weld, you can still warp it with your grinder. Maybe someone can get some good out of this. And yea its got billet wheels, but it pays my bills. Check us out at streetrodspecialties.com

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Cool, and good thinking !!

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Nice work but wouldn't be easier to just move the axle back a couple inches on the springs?

4. 1320/150

1320/150

X2.... I was thinking the same thing???

5. stone33

stone33

probly so but it wouldnt be near as much fun. I guess sometimes you got to think outside the box, or have someone else look in the box

6. Nope. Moving the rear back 2 inches means redrilling springs, longer brake line, and having another driveshaft made. I agree that moving that rear back would fit the tire, this way fits the tire AND changes the look of the quarter just enough to know that something is different.....

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm not seeing what the original problem was

8. The owner changed his mind on the wheel and tire combo he had picked out a year ago. The taller tire didnt "fit" the opening. He didnt want the low profile look but didnt want the whole thing to look "full" of tire either......thats the best way I know to describe it, kinda reaching a happy medium if you will.

9. 1320/150

1320/150

So..... you think cutting up a car that looks to have pretty decent paint is easier than a brake line, driveshaft,and a half hour with a drill?

10. Trencher

Trencher

not that big of a deal, paint below the molding and ship it...I think it looks nice...no different than stretching wheel opeinings on a tubbed car that was already nicely painted... I think you did a cool job!

11. stone33

stone33

six too one half a dozen to the other. By opening the wheel well it made it more proportional than moving the rearend back. Oh yea the paint is only 3 weeks oldand yea its decent 10k decent,but my clients want what they want, hell I thought someone on the HAMB would learn from this article, instead I being hammered for it

12. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Moving the axle back would look like shit. Where do you folks come from? Jeezus.
    I would have used a patch panel with my limited talent. Tons of race cars are
    done for tire clearance.

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

So what is the OD of those rubber band tires ? I ask because i'm running 29" tall tires and moved rear forward 1" and I only lengthed my wheel opening 1".

14. T-Roy

T-Roy

I don't think you're being hammered for it. You will find that HAMB'rs get pretty emotional with their opinions. You did a nice job and yeah people do that all the time on race cars for tire clearance. Looks way better than moving the axle back...

Welcome to the HAMB.

15. stone33

stone33

theyre 29 tall but they didnt fit for shit, the whole problem was that I fitted the car for 26 inch in the rear when I was mocking everything up.

16. The easiest solution would be to lower the car.

What you did looks like a band aid on a bigger cut that needed stitches.

Also... for the love of god... please don't post any more shit that isn't traditional.

Cutting the shit out of such an iconic car to fit ugly ass billet wheels isn't even close to being traditional.

Welcome to the HAMB.

Sam

17. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

well its plenty high in the air to be a donk, and it also has the wheels!!

yea bling bling playa, you know dem hoe's love that shit.

18. 1320/150

1320/150

Who do you think you are? I am just haveing a little debate here. Some people don't realize their are options. Some people don't have your limited talent!!!! As already said you could have fixed this problem with a simple lowering job!!! I thing the OP could have played with things a little more and maybe presented a better solution to his customer!!! He knows how to stretch wheelwells thats great!!! He did it correctly thats great also!! I also think a stretch to the wheelbase on a 57 chevrolet would go unnoticed. So I think your idea of looking like shit is bullshit!!! Oh yah and finally the OP's "customers" wheels look like shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  19. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Come On Man, This is the HAMB. You post helpful threads of how to do something and people bash you for it, that's the way it goes. :rolleyes:

20. Gerrys

Gerrys

Moving the axle back would give a more streched look. Good work but think the bigger wheel opening looks like crap.

The owner belongs to the more money that brains club.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I just recalled that Five Sevens ran 14s and not 15" wheels like the 55 and 56s. That could be why you had to go 2" on the stretch.

22. hammer bowling

hammer bowling

This is why some people don't post on this site. Why do some of you people have to be jerkoffs when the dude just wants to show his work. I don't like the billet thing but like he said it was a customer car. Stop being assholes to people.

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I think he hit the nail on the head, off topic shit has always been frowned upon. And really Sam has been an integral part of this board and shared so much with us. He understands what this place is about and I am glad he'll call people out on it.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I don't think he hit any nail on the head. He simply stated his opinion in a rude manner, when it could have just as easily been said politely. Is it too much trouble to make a comment without being a jerk about it?
    Just becasuse he's got thousands of posts doesn't mean he's got a ticket to be rude.

25. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I think it looks great. You do nice work......

26. duke182

duke182

its nice to see that everyones love for cars (especially modified ones)is intact.

some folks are givin stone33 shit about billet wheels and that really isnt the point is it?
    as i see it it was just a simple tech write up about stretching a wheel opening.
    he even stated in his own way in the original post that he knew that the wheels were not to everyones tastes.
    that doesnt take away from his abilities.
    and since when is it not traditional to modify a body panel on a hot rod?
    if a 57 chevy is too sacred to cut up, maybe your version of traditional is stock:( and except for a few really historical vehicles, how much fun is that. it's still a hot rod/custom sight isnt it?

27. Anderson

Anderson

Dad did the same thing to his years ago....you can't tell the difference once it's done. Nice work.

I love you Sam, but if there was a steel wheel with whitewalls in that picture no one would complain.

28. Nice work. Do it however YOU or your customer wants it.. When the critics pay you to do it their way, Then they can have it their way. Keeping the customer satisfied is the golden rule of business. If I took my car to someone to have wheels put on that I liked and it came back with red steelies and a 4 inch whitewall because thats what They liked.. I would be looking for a more customer friendly shop. I did a thread on here about an engine swap I did for a customer. That was some funny shit.

29. 1320/150

1320/150

Well I guess th OP has a customer for life? Next thing the customer is gonna want is to put skirts on the car!!!:eek:

30. stone33

stone33

i phone 340.jpg View attachment 1227128
    here it is the 57 got back from paint, for those who said lengthening the wheel well looks like shit, i say no one will ever now it was done, unless they are told it was done. For those who bitched about the wheels, I painted you some whitewall tires on some paper so you'll shut up about em. Last of all I'd like to say any one can be anyone and or build anything on the internet, so I say to all of the ones who talk shit on hamb about what others do, step up, post some stuff, show your work off, BUT it seems that 90% of the ones who talk the talk, cant walk the walk. I'm just saying